Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Letestu, Zolnierczyk, Vitale before injuries, Gibbons, Jeffreys.. guys that wanted to win, not guys not wanting to lose.

Wait... so your examples of guys we should have played before Adams/Glass is 1 legitimate player and a bunch of guys who are not and never have been NHL regulars? You're really really reaching here.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Wait... so your examples of guys we should have played before Adams/Glass is 1 legitimate player and a bunch of guys who are not and never have been NHL regulars? You're really really reaching here.

Zolnierczyk and Letestu play today and are contributing to the preds and the oilers runs.
I guess you can say I worded it wrong but what I mean was, we would have been harder to play with those guys instead of Gladams. A 4th line that carries the puck and hems it in the other zone and has an occasional scoring chance like we have now would have helped.

Glass and Adams should not have been regulars.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Zolnierczyk and Letestu play today and are contributing to the preds and the oilers runs.
I guess you can say I worded it wrong but what I mean was, we would have been harder to play with those guys instead of Gladams. A 4th line that carries the puck and hems it in the other zone and has an occasional scoring chance like we have now would have helped.

Glass and Adams should not have been regulars.

72506801.jpg

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Has played 27 regular season NHL games over the last 3 years (he isn't even a PO regular for Nashville). He's hardly a shining example of why we shouldn't have played Adams/Glass.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
aka we aren't trading Sheary, because he isn't getting anything close to that return.

Well yeah. I guess what I'm saying is with Sheary I'd respond with an over the top counter-offer rather than just put down the phone laughing (as I would with Guentzel).

I would add that I am open to the idea of trading him for a reasonable return down the line *if* that's what it takes to fill a big team need. I feel like young wingers are our main trade chip and he is currently (just) the one I think most expendable. But right now I don't see the need.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I think the team should take a run at Shattenkirk. Has he been good these playoffs? No. Thing is, Letang will eventually be out with injury ( Awful contract btw). Shattenkirk can and will bounce back.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have been incredibly underwhelmed by Shattenkirk - in the games we played against him this past season, him against Toronto, and certainly him against us. Some team is going to pay him a ton of money and I personally hope it isn't us.

He can be dangerous offensively, but I personally think he's **** defensively. Overrated in his own zone, IMO.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I have been incredibly underwhelmed by Shattenkirk - in the games we played against him this past season, him against Toronto, and certainly him against us. Some team is going to pay him a ton of money and I personally hope it isn't us.

I'm looking at his history more than anything else. He's an ideal # 2 but Letang can't be counted on. I don't want people to think I'm ragging on Letang. However, his contract will be a boat anchor moving forward.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm looking at his history more than anything else. He's an ideal # 2 but Letang can't be counted on. I don't want people to think I'm ragging on Letang. However, his contract will be a boat anchor moving forward.

His contract won't be a boat anchor. I wasn't a huge fan of signing Letang to that deal int he first place, but fact is, he's the best ES defenseman in the league. He's a difference maker at both ends of the ice and we are better with him than without him.

I agree we also need someone behind Letang. I'd try to trade for that guy...not sign Shattenkirk.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think the team should take a run at Shattenkirk. Has he been good these playoffs? No. Thing is, Letang will eventually be out with injury ( Awful contract btw). Shattenkirk can and will bounce back.

I completely disagree. And calling Letang's contract awful while wanting to sign Shattenkirk to what will assuredly be an awful contract is silly. Letang is a MUCH better player than Shattenkirk. We don't need him enough on the PP to be worth anything close to what he'll get payed.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009

He can be dangerous offensively, but I personally think he's **** defensively. Overrated in his own zone, IMO.

He's not even that dangerous offensively.

He's never been that good. Someone will give him a nice contract and be completely underwhelmed.

Letang is miles ahead of Shattenkirk.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think it's not out of the realm of possibility to ask the question, who is better - Shattenkirk or Schultz. Because I would take Schultz.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If we get a favourable deal for Fleury we could definitely go after a solid #3-#4 in free agency. Don't know that Shattenkirk is the guy though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If we get a favourable deal for Fleury we could definitely go after a solid #3-#4 in free agency. Don't know that Shattenkirk is the guy though.

If he's willing to take #3-#4 money then by all means, but there's no way that's going to happen.

It's hard to get a good lock on what we will need to target next year until we've seen the expansion draft.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd still take a full-time Shatty at 6 mil over a half-time Letang at 7.25 mil.

I would not. I was mostly against it before, and I'm completely against it now. Shatty has been so bad these playoffs. Really souring me to him. He is looking bad as a 3rd pairing d-man; I certainly don't want him to be our top pairing d-man. I'd rather re-sign Hainsey than overpay Shatty.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Even if we wanted to, there's so many other things that would have to happen for that to make sense that there's no way that goes down this summer. I mean just look at the time lines. If we wanted to trade Letang, realistically, he's moved at the draft. However he's hurt and we'd get **** value in return. But we can't even talk to Shattenkirk until after the draft, which means we have no guarantee that we could sign him even if we were willing to trade Letang to open up space (cap/roster) for him.

So while I do not think we need a #1D to truly be successful, we're not currently setup to move Letang, and the timing really doesn't work this summer even if we wanted to go that route.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Two questions. One, what #3/4 is there in FA that is worth the money, and two how would we afford him after signing Schultz, Dumoulin, Sheary and a #3C?

When people say we have cap space this summer, they're right, we will have some to play with. But after signing our RFAs and finding a new #3C, we won't have much if any left to go shopping for anything other than depth players.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Two questions. One, what #3/4 is there in FA that is worth the money, and two how would we afford him after signing Schultz, Dumoulin, Sheary and a #3C?

When people say we have cap space this summer, they're right, we will have some to play with. But after signing our RFAs and finding a new #3C, we won't have much if any left to go shopping for anything other than depth players.

Trade MAF for a cheap serviceable back up and a pick (a late second or a third works for me) before the expansion draft.

Plan on losing Horny or Hags in the expansion draft. Hurts to lose either or but they're both replaceable within the system.

Leaves us with

Sheary Sid Guentzel
Rust Geno Sprong
Hags/Horny 3c Phil
Wilson Rowney Archibald
Kuhnackl Sundqvist

Dumo-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta- whoever we re-sign or Pooh
Whoever

Murray
Cheap serviceable back-up.

I'd trade Maatta for a d that better fits the system after everything settles down with free agency.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
A lot of our cap situation (how much money we have) will depend on if LV takes MAF. If that happens we could have around 22 mil. If LV doesn't take MAF, we may have to take something back from a potential trading partner and will have less to play with. If MAF doesn't get taken, them it becomes who might we lose and possibly have to replace.

The next biggest thing is if we re-up Bones. If someone offers Bones a deal for 15-25 million over 3-5 years, that may be tough for us to match. There is not much out there for UFA's and could be expensive. We may have to go the trade route.

I think we can get Schultz, Dumo and Sheary signed for 10-12 mil depending on term.

We have to decide who to protect out of Dumo or Maatta and if we protect all 4, we need to decide who gets exposed at forward.

We also have Sunny and Poo to deal with.

For what it is worth, if MAF goes we need a capable backup who could start for long stretches and potentially step in during the playoffs. MM has not shown durability. We can't roll with some no name and rely on 65 starts from MM. JR won't do that.

Lots of moving parts that are just 7 weeks or so away from happening. If we win the cup, we will barely have time to enjoy it before the dominos start to fall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad