Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I guess it depends on what a low ball offer is. Is Sprong worth two late firsts? From the Aves perspective?

Almost certainly. Those 1sts will be late ones. Then there's the fact that those picks are going to take 3-5 years and 4-6 years from now to be impact NHLers - if they ever are. Sprong is maybe a year away from being able to contribute to an NHL team, and perhaps 2 maybe 3 years at the most from being a truly impact player. It's possible he still busts, but I think it's safe to say the odds at this point of that happening are remote.

Could they draft a good prospect (or perhaps even a better one then Sprong) with thoset picks? Absolutely. Between the two picks, I'd even venture to say it's likely. But the big thing there is the timeline. Unless those picks really step it up, they're going to be years away from being able to help the Avs. If they move Duchene, they're going to want someone who can help sooner then 3-5 years (and 4-6 years for that 2018 1st). Because by then (and that's assuming those picks do not bust), they'll be looking at the same situation with Landy and McKinnon (if both are still there). They have 2 maybe 3 years to really point themselves in the right direction before it gets to a point where you need to start moving out other guys for the same reason they're considering moving Duchene.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
JR priorities should be as follows

1. Sign Schultz
2. Trade Fleury
3. Sign Vecchione
4. Draft a dman
5. Sign Dadonov and have him play with Malkin

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If were to somehow pull off a Duchene trade that didn't include Sprong/Guentzel, it would have to be something like:

- Maatta
- 1st rounder (Avs' option of our 2017 or 2018 1st)
- Jarry
- Sundqvist

and probably something else, like

- Pouliot or another 2nd tier prospect/pick (i.e. Simon, Taylor, 3rd rounder, etc.)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If were to somehow pull off a Duchene trade that didn't include Sprong/Guentzel, it would have to be something like:

- Maatta
- 1st rounder (Avs' option of our 2017 or 2018 1st)
- Jarry
- Sundqvist

and probably something else, like

- Pouliot or another 2nd tier prospect/pick (i.e. Simon, Taylor, 3rd rounder, etc.)

That's ugly. We would also have to give both 1st rounders.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Duchene going to the Canes or Habs or Islanders isn't what we want. I really believe that the balance of power will be with the East for the next half decade or more. The west teams outside of the Hawks and Alberta teams and maybe Winnepeg are in decline or treading water at best. Getting out of the East is going to be tough as hell. The last few draft classes have been strong and those kids are only going to get better.
I don't know what the Aves will want for certain or what other teams will pay, but I am not afraid of losing firsts.

Yes, but trading for a guy so that other teams can't get him is not a good idea.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
if his primary position will be 3C, I don't want to trade for Duchene.

This. Duchene may not fit into the top 6 next year with Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, and Kessel primed to be the top wingers. I don't like the idea of divesting money we already have invested in defense and investing it in offense when we have such an impressive collection of forward and forward prospects and no defense prospects

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This. Duchene may not fit into the top 6 next year with Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, and Kessel primed to be the top wingers. I don't like the idea of divesting money we already have invested in defense and investing it in offense when we have such an impressive collection of forward and forward prospects and no defense prospects

I would love Duchene to replace Rust in that top 6 though. He'd be amazing on Malkin's wing and able to help him with faceoffs. And occasionally playing him at 3C would be an awesome option.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I don't understand the purpose of trading for Duchene for him not to play center. That is where the hole is and we have the wingers to play him with. Having him play up with Sid or Geno is a nice option as well, but if we get him to play wing, then we would still need a 3C.
I don't see many options for 3C that we can get that would represent a marked improvement for the team from where we are now. I wouldn't trade Maatta for one year of Bozak. Would rather just sign Bones.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't understand the purpose of trading for Duchene for him not to play center. That is where the hole is and we have the wingers to play him with. Having him play up with Sid or Geno is a nice option as well, but if we get him to play wing, then we would still need a 3C.
I don't see many options for 3C that we can get that would represent a marked improvement for the team from where we are now. I wouldn't trade Maatta for one year of Bozak. Would rather just sign Bones.

it would be Bones I'd think. I'm the flip though, I can't see paying such a high cost for a 3C.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
it would be Bones I'd think. I'm the flip though, I can't see paying such a high cost for a 3C.

He's one of the most productive ES scorers in the league. And his most common linemates have been closer to the Sid/Geno variety in years past. The one year he got a high end winger to play with in ROR, he was ppg.

I have no doubt he'd be great as a 3C or winger in the top 6. I would think that'll depend on where we're playing Kessel. I doubt Sullivan would stack the top 6 that much.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014

I don't like the idea of doing a blockbuster trade for a 3C, especially when said 3C could walk in two years.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Would you take the Kessel deal back because he often plays on the third line?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Would you take the Kessel deal back because he often plays on the third line?

no, but I wouldn't trade for a 2nd Kessel to also play on the 3rd line.

He's one of the most productive ES scorers in the league. And his most common linemates have been closer to the Sid/Geno variety in years past. The one year he got a high end winger to play with in ROR, he was ppg.

I have no doubt he'd be great as a 3C or winger in the top 6. I would think that'll depend on where we're playing Kessel. I doubt Sullivan would stack the top 6 that much.

I'm assuming Kessel on the 3rd line. That seems to be where they prefer him at this point. But it leaves Geno needing a good wing. And a wing that can also take faceoffs (and play C when Geno is hurt) sounds perfect.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
2017-18 Lines (Assuming LV takes Marc-Andre Fleury)

Re-Sign Sheary 5 years 4.25M AAV
Re-Sign Schultz 4 years 4.55M AAV
Re-Sign Bonino 3 years 3.50M AAV
Sign Brendan Smith 2 years 2.25 AAV
Sign Peter Budaj 1 year 1.25M

Conor Sheary - Sidney Crosby - Jake Guentzel
Carl Hagelin - Evgeni Malkin - Phil Kessel
Zach Aston Reese - Nick Bonino - Patric Hornqvist
Scott Wilson - Oskar Sundqvist - Bryan Rust

Brian Dumoulin - Kris Letang
Ian Cole - Justin Schultz
Olli Maatta - Brendan Smith

Matt Murray
Peter Budaj

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
2017-18 Lines (Assuming LV takes Marc-Andre Fleury)

Re-Sign Sheary 5 years 4.25M AAV
Re-Sign Schultz 4 years 4.55M AAV
Re-Sign Bonino 3 years 3.50M AAV
Sign Brendan Smith 2 years 2.25 AAV
Sign Peter Budaj 1 year 1.25M

Conor Sheary - Sidney Crosby - Jake Guentzel
Carl Hagelin - Evgeni Malkin - Phil Kessel
Zach Aston Reese - Nick Bonino - Patric Hornqvist
Scott Wilson - Oskar Sundqvist - Bryan Rust

Brian Dumoulin - Kris Letang
Ian Cole - Justin Schultz
Olli Maatta - Brendan Smith

Matt Murray
Peter Budaj

A. How much money does that lineup cost?
B. ZAR won't be NHL ready to stay next year and him opposite of Hornqvist seems like an awful fit
C. I don't think Smith signs for that little, although the other ones seem realistic. You also forgot to re-sign Dumoulin.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, if we could get Duchene for a base of Jarry, Maatta, and a 1st (with some sweetener if necessary), we really ought to go for it. He'd give us unparalleled depth down the middle - with the winger depth to help him thrive - and he'd be great insurance for Geno's yearly IR vacation.

Speed to burn, and great in the dot too.

I mean, if we could get Duchene for that, you pull the trigger. But we're gonna have to part with someone like Sprong or Guentzel instead of Jarry imo. That's tough to justify even for me, and I was hellbent on getting Duchene. Our blueline is in shambles and by far and away the biggest need.

But I agree that Duchene's as good as we're likely to get at forward. Between his speed, skill, and versatility he'd be the perfect pickup for our forward corps. I wonder if we could land him for a package of Maatta + Hagelin or Hornqvist--even though I'd hate to lose Hornqvist's wholly unique skillset.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sundqvist should be in the AHL, I don't see him as a guarantee as a 4th line C next year at all. So I don't know who the other options are for 3C if Bones is over priced.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sundqvist hasn't wowed, I agree, but you don't develop a 4C in the AHL. He's going to be playing a wholly different role/style down there as opposed to up here. In my opinion, you give him the 4C job and let him develop and learn. It's not like he'll be asked to do too much getting 10 minutes a night anyway.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The thing with Sunny is that he is not a young prospect anymore, he still has upside but he is approaching his Mid 20's and has had 2 years in WBS. He may not have enough skill to play an everyday 4C at the NHL level, especially for a team with high expectations. Sunny is no higher than 5C going into next year IMO. His size could save him as a depth winger as well.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The thing with Sunny is that he is not a young prospect anymore, he still has upside but he is approaching his Mid 20's and has had 2 years in WBS. He may not have enough skill to play an everyday 4C at the NHL level, especially for a team with high expectations. Sunny is no higher than 5C going into next year IMO. His size could save him as a depth winger as well.

He literally just turned 23 like last week. :laugh:

Was he really that bad tonight? Am I just blind? Several people have singled him out as an issue when, at worst, he was invisible in a game where we got killed. The only thing that sticks out to me was his inability to score in tight on that one golden opportunity. Is that enough for people to pile on? :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sundqvist should be in the AHL, I don't see him as a guarantee as a 4th line C next year at all. So I don't know who the other options are for 3C if Bones is over priced.

Between him and Rowney, I'm not worried about our #4C. But we absolutely must get a better #3C then what we've gotten from Bonino for most of the season. That, or go back to a top 6 and a checking line, and forget about actually tying to get real offense from the 3rd line. But I do not think that's a recipe for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad