Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That doesn't mean that's what we can expect in the future though unless you think we can accurately predict that Letang is going to have another stroke or concussion or whatever else.

It's an inaccurate science at best to try to predict how many games a guy will be able to play.

Major health issue aside, I think it's fair to say both he and Geno will be out 10-20 games a year.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I have no real issue with losing Hagelin. Ideally, we'd get LV to take MAF off our hands, but if we parted ways with Hagelin I don't think we'd really miss him much to be honest. Rust is a player cut from the exact same cloth, and about 1/4 the price.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
MAF since Feb 1st has a .934 SV% and a 2.02 GAA. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if LV was interested in him.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
MAF since Feb 1st has a .934 SV% and a 2.02 GAA. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if LV was interested in him.

For sure he'd fit well for them. He's got 2 years left enough time to develop a younger goalie to take over.

Hopefully he's agreed to waive. JR would have had some sort of plan/agreement worked out with Fleury.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I saw some speculation that LV would pick like 7 goalies and then flip them after the draft for assets. Hopefully MAF is one of them.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I saw some speculation that LV would pick like 7 goalies and then flip them after the draft for assets. Hopefully MAF is one of them.

Wouldn't they get better returns on skaters? If Fleury waives he's pretty much gone. Maybe we do a sweetener deal to not take Rust if we go 4-4. He'd be the only one with more value than Fleury (or easier to move) from the exposed guys.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Maybe trade Fleury to LV so they can take Hagelin from us at ED? Helps their speed game, we gain more cap space. We lose 9.75M without taking on bad contracts plus all those UFA's walk. Work on the raises, college signings, prospect signings, look for speedy players to trade for or sign after July 1. Stay away from the guys who are getting overpaid, go for the lesser guys.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I can't see Vegas taking 7 goalies. The trade market for goalies isn't particularly strong. That said, there are probably a higher volume of good goalies available vs skaters.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can't see Vegas taking 7 goalies. The trade market for goalies isn't particularly strong. That said, there are probably a higher volume of good goalies available vs skaters.

If anything, I would think they'd take bribes from teams to not take those goalies in the first place.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Fleury playing well recently is great. It's helping us get points while missing a ton of key guys, and it's raising his trade value for this summer.

I think there's already a deal in place for Vegas to get Fleury. Either by trade or by exposing him in the draft.

As for Hagelin, I love the guy but we have Rust (and to a lesser extent Archibald) who can fill the exact same role for a fraction of the price. I wouldn't mind losing Hagelin to trade to be honest.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fleury playing well recently is great. It's helping us get points while missing a ton of key guys, and it's raising his trade value for this summer.

I think there's already a deal in place for Vegas to get Fleury. Either by trade or by exposing him in the draft.

As for Hagelin, I love the guy but we have Rust (and to a lesser extent Archibald) who can fill the exact same role for a fraction of the price. I wouldn't mind losing Hagelin to trade to be honest.

I don't want to lose Hagelin if we don't have to, but if we need cap space he's the most logical guy to move.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't want to lose Hagelin if we don't have to, but if we need cap space he's the most logical guy to move.

Pretty much exactly where I'm at. Hagelin's speed and game fit this team to a T, but it's not like we don't have any replacement for him.

If Hagelin and his salary are the difference between us landing someone like Alzner this summer, or making a significant trade for a guy who is going to help us win now and in the future, I'd part with him before anyone else.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm still not fully sold on Alzner. I just think he's gonna cost too much.

Probably, but I think he could end up being that rock-solid guy that Martin was. I know Martin had rough patches, but I still think he was a damn good defenseman for us while he was here.

And I think our blueline could use a guy like him badly. It'd allow Maatta to slot down and not have to be so heavily relied upon too.

Alzner - Letang
Dumo - Schultz
Maatta - Cole/Whatever

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Fleury -LV
Grubauer -LV

Elliott -Flames (doing good now)
Darling - Flames (might think he can beat out Elliott for the starting gig)

Condon -Flyers (will let Mason walk, they also got their future starter coming up)

Miller - Leafs (where else?)

Budaj - TB (re-signs)

Mason - Pens (Maybe signs for 3.5 on a 1 year deal? i'd give him 32 games, not sure if he would bite. MM gets the remaining 50)

Not sure about other teams.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Probably, but I think he could end up being that rock-solid guy that Martin was. I know Martin had rough patches, but I still think he was a damn good defenseman for us while he was here.

And I think our blueline could use a guy like him badly. It'd allow Maatta to slot down and not have to be so heavily relied upon too.

Alzner - Letang
Dumo - Schultz
Maatta - Cole/Whatever

depends on cost to me. I like Alzner, I just don't want to spend too much on him is all. Especially not for too long.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
depends on cost to me. I like Alzner, I just don't want to spend too much on him is all. Especially not for too long.

I mean, it's probably all for naught anyway. I doubt he ends up leaving Washington for anything less than an absurd overpayment--which he might end up getting from someone like Edmonton.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Spending big money on Alzner would be a huge mistake. He's a good defensive d-man, but the guy's career-high is 21 points. We've shown we can take guys like Cole and Ruhwedel and turn them into solid defensive complements to our dynamic puck movers, which is all we need for our system.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Spending big money on Alzner would be a huge mistake. He's a good defensive d-man, but the guy's career-high is 21 points. We've shown we can take guys like Cole and Ruhwedel and turn them into solid defensive complements to our dynamic puck movers, which is all we need for our system.

I'm not comfortable, and I don't think anyone else should be either, putting out Cole or Ruhwedel against the opposition's best come playoff time. They're serviceable guys right now, but neither should see minutes/responsibility above the bottom pairing. Not on a Cup chasing team anyway.

With Maatta's stagnation, and Dumo going through what's hopefully only a sophomore slump, I think our biggest need is a guy like Alzner. Even if one of those guys steps up and returns to form, we still need a guy like Alzner for the top-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad