Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Probably, but I think he could end up being that rock-solid guy that Martin was. I know Martin had rough patches, but I still think he was a damn good defenseman for us while he was here.

And I think our blueline could use a guy like him badly. It'd allow Maatta to slot down and not have to be so heavily relied upon too.

The issue with that, is that Martin was much more then just a "rock solid D". He was extremely mobile and had a great first pass. Martin in 5 years and 297 RS games put up 109 points - Alzner has barely done that over his entire 8 year career and almost 600 games.

I also do not think that if we went out and got someone like Alzner, that we could afford Maatta. At least probably not if we wanted to have a decent/good #3C. I have no issues moving Maatta as long as it makes sense... but I doubt Rutherford feels the same way.

Spending big money on Alzner would be a huge mistake. He's a good defensive d-man, but the guy's career-high is 21 points. We've shown we can take guys like Cole and Ruhwedel and turn them into solid defensive complements to our dynamic puck movers, which is all we need for our system.

Not to mention that Ruhwedel has been seeing a pretty big increase in icetime. In 6 of our last 7 games, he's played over 20 minutes (averaging 20:48 over that span). Sure a couple of those games we were missing guys, but the last 4 we've been healthy (at least in terms of losing someone mid game) and he's still been seeing between 20 and 24 minutes a night. I think he's almost a certainty to be our #6D (#3 RD) next season.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think Martin was a good skater, but extremely mobile is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, his ability to skate the puck out of danger and cover a lot of ice defensively was one of his best assets, but it's not like he was Letang or Josi back there. His best asset was his stick work, by far. His ability to get his stick on passes/shots, and to play the puck in board battles or races for loose pucks was phenomenal.

And as for Maatta, I think he could probably land us a great 3C himself if we went that route. I'm sure with how highly everyone around the league views Maatta we'd have no real problem moving him for a significant return. Nothing earth-shattering, but definitely a good player coming back. But like you said, I doubt JR even thinks about going that avenue.

I just think we're missing a guy like Alzner. One addition like him to the blueline, and maybe a depth guy like Kulikov (assuming we're moving Maatta for that 3C) and suddenly our blueline looks a Hell of a lot better. Hopefully we'd be able to do for Kulikov what we've already done for Niskanen and Schultz as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sprong isn't going to spend longer than Guentzel spent in the AHL. Saying he'll be in the minors for "much of next season" is pretty baseless, since it seems like the organization views him and Guentzel as being on the same tier. It's the same overly conservative stuff we saw about Guentzel, how he wouldn't even be able to be a NHL regular until 2018-2019.

The Penguins have a pretty standard development path for young forwards. They spend enough time in the AHL until they're dominating and then they find a spot for them in the NHL. Seeing how Sprong is already a NHL talent and already had 5 goals in 10 games in the AHL playoffs last year, I really don't think he'll be there long. I wouldn't be surprised for him to start the year there (just like I wouldn't be surprised for him to start the year in Pittsburgh), but he sure as hell won't be finishing the year there.

How is it any more baseless then assuming the team will find a spot for him in the NHL roster - that will be even fuller next season then it was this season?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I just think we're missing a guy like Alzner. One addition like him to the blueline, and maybe a depth guy like Kulikov (assuming we're moving Maatta for that 3C) and suddenly our blueline looks a Hell of a lot better. Hopefully we'd be able to do for Kulikov what we've already done for Niskanen and Schultz as well.

I do not really disagree. But I don't think we need to go out and get him per say. There's other D out there who would probably be good fits, and more affordable. Smith for example would be amazing, and would likely cost a few million less. (probably a 4m AAV at the high end).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Paul Martin covered a lot more ground when he got here than when he left. When he was in New Jersey, I'd have been comfortable calling him a really good skater. Last year with us, he was plodding, though, for sure.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I do not really disagree. But I don't think we need to go out and get him per say. There's other D out there who would probably be good fits, and more affordable. Smith for example would be amazing, and would likely cost a few million less. (probably a 4m AAV at the high end).

He would certainly be another good target. Red Wings would probably also like to have him as well. Washington likely can't afford to resign Alzner so I do believe he will be looking for a new home. So "availability" (per say) is also in play here.

I'd also be just fine with keeping Maatta and bringing Kulikov in.

Dum-Letang
Maatta/Kulikov-Schultz
Cole-Kulikov/Maatta

That's, honestly, 6 top 4 guys if you consider the fact that Cole has skated like a 2nd pairing guy with Schultz this season.

I do not think going after a good top 4 UFA dman is a mis-allocation of cap space and money. We are strong at forward and at goalie. Defense needs work. Big time.

Letang, Dumo, Schultz then it gets a little tougher to determine the roster in the short and long term. Cole has one more year and if he keeps it up, will get a hefty raise. Maatta's skating, health, and fit are a concern but he's great here. Wouldn't close the door on a trade though. We lack a #6/7 unless you give Pouliot a chance or have confidence in a Rudwedel.

We'd be in a very, VERY good position IMHO if it wasn't for this expansion draft this summer. Timing is the escense of life and if there's one thing that is an absolute certainty in life (let this be a lesson to you younger kids), is that life will **** you right when you think you're getting ahead.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Paul Martin covered a lot more ground when he got here than when he left. When he was in New Jersey, I'd have been comfortable calling him a really good skater. Last year with us, he was plodding, though, for sure.

Well yeah, he was 28-29 when he got here. Michalek was 27-28. Both prime players. At 36, I'm sure he's slowed down. :laugh:

Kunitz at 29 vs Kunitz at 36...?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Well yeah, he was 28-29 when he got here. Michalek was 27-28. Both prime players. At 36, I'm sure he's slowed down. :laugh:

Kunitz at 29 vs Kunitz at 36...?

Having a Prime Kunitz right about now would be incredible. We would actually be able to make so many legitimate line combinations. We would actually be able to make 3 1st lines where every center would have actually top-6 wingers

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Having a Prime Kunitz right about now would be incredible. We would actually be able to make so many legitimate line combinations. We would actually be able to make 3 1st lines where every center would have actually top-6 wingers

Imagine the Kunitz of Kunitz-Malkin-Neal making Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel/Rust

We'd be sittin good

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
hqdefault.jpg

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kunitz from 09-13 would put us over the top. I hate hating him. He was one of the more unique players in the game. Physical, could keep up with Sid, good playmaker, 200 ft player and could snipe like a boss out of nowhere.

RIP prime Kuni.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Kunitz from 09-13 would put us over the top. I hate hating him. He was one of the more unique players in the game. Physical, could keep up with Sid, good playmaker, 200 ft player and could snipe like a boss out of nowhere.

RIP prime Kuni.

Maybe the best undrafted player of the modern era too. Just stuck around too long.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
My perfect offseason would look like this.

The team has lots of winger depth now for 8 spots in the line up next year.
Kessel, Horny, Hags, Guentzel, Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Sheary and with Sprong and possibly ZAR able to contribute next year. We only need to resign Sheary.

Our centre depth is Sid, Geno, Rowney, Sundqvist who needs to be resigned.

Our D is Letang, Maatta, Cole along with Schultz, Dumo, Pouliot who all need resigned.

Our goalies are Murray, MAF, Jarry, Maguire, Gustavsson. All signed for next year.

We have about 16 Million in cap space now. If we assume MAF goes to LV, we will have about 22m to spend. I estimate we can sign Sheary, Schultz and Dumo for 12m, leaving us about 10m to work with. We obviously need centers and D to fill out our roster. We may have a couple of WBS who can fill in some depth, but our biggest need is at C. I think win or lose this year, it is a good time to refresh the roster. I would be OK with letting all of our FA's walk, or perhaps signing one of our UFA D to a short, cheap deal.

If there is any way at all to get Duchene on this team without moving our young wingers or Sprong, I am all over it. I know that seems like a pipe dream and we don't know what the Aves will do, but I would do Maatta, Jarry and two first if needed. Maybe the deal could involve Hagelin also for something else coming back to the Pens like Weircoch. Duchene really compliments this team and completes the forward group so well. If that happened, the difference between Maatta and Duchenes salary is 2m, leaving us about 8 Mil.

We would then need to replace Maatta and we would have Maattas money available to offer Alzner 4-5m by 4-5 years. That would leave 3-4m (assuming we kept Hagelin). We would need to sign a capable back-up for MM for a couple years as a result of losing MAF and Jarry. Someone like Johnson or another solid veteran. Also would need a 4c and have Sunny and Rowney as depth. Would a big SOB like Boyle sign here?

Sheary Sid Horny
Guentzel Malkin Rust
Hagelin Duchene Kessel
Wilson xxx Kuhnhackl
Sunny, Rowney, Sprong, ZAR, other WBS

Alzner Letang
Cole Schultz
Dumo xxx
WBS WBS

Murray
xxx

That is a fantastic line up, and not far fetched enough to be outrageous.

Last edited:

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
So who might the Pens select with there 1st rounder this year? Dman?Foward?

If I had to guess I'd say a dman

Bring on Sprong, Beuchemin, Aston-Reese, Vecchione, Taylor, that Dman that hits too hard for his league. Then maybe we can get even more fresh bodies that are hungry for a cup.

that Dman that hits too hard for his league (Josh Healey) has already been signed earlier today by the Calgary Flames. Hopefully we get Vecchione to sign.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bring on Sprong, Beuchemin, Aston-Reese, Vecchione, Taylor, that Dman that hits too hard for his league. Then maybe we can get even more fresh bodies that are hungry for a cup.

Couple said that Vecchione was the true NCAA prize signing and that ZAR was 2nd. Would be amazing to get both.

So who might the Pens select with there 1st rounder this year? Dman?Foward?

Unless there is a major dman that falls out of the top 10 or something, I am 99.9% certain that we will take a center.

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
I think Sprong has to be pencilled in to start on the team next season. He's not only dominating his league; he's doing it playing an NHL game, and, even better, one that fits our system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad