Friedman: Penguins could move Juuso Rikkola

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
He played almost half the year with the Pens last season... hard to know about something if you're not paying attention.

Dumb trade idea tbh, but if JR's got that itch he' gonna scratch...

Wow, he played in the NHL. So did Hagg for the past two years, is he an asset now too?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think Elliotte Friedman and Darren Derger, just make up nonsense and talk out of their asses.
upload_2019-10-8_12-34-28.png

Reactions: DaveG

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Yeah, you have to worry when a guy has only won 2 out of the last 4 Cups.

They're not looking like favorites this year. How many years do those 2 Cups buy Rutherford? Is 2 of the past 6 Cups good enough to keep his job? 2 of the past 10? 20? Anytime you show a decline there's going to be scrutiny. In the case of JMFJ (or Tanev or Grudbranson...) I'd hardly say GMJR is above reproach.

Reactions: Ignatius

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They're not looking like favorites this year. How many years do those 2 Cups buy Rutherford? Is 2 of the past 6 Cups good enough to keep his job? 2 of the past 10? 20? Anytime you show a decline there's going to be scrutiny. In the case of JMFJ (or Tanev or Grudbranson...) I'd hardly say GMJR is above reproach.

Tanev looks absolutely awesome for the Penguins and Gudbranson looked great last year for the Penguins. If you want to bring up examples of bad acquisitions, you should be adding Hunwick to JJ, not Tanev or Gudbranson.

Reactions: NEPA and domaug

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Kinda seems like Pens need to do something bigger... some trade rumors I keep seeing wont change anything it seems

I honestly haven't been a fan of what JR has done in Pittsburgh

You can argue that you haven't been of fan of what he has done in the last year, but prior to that every move he made in the 1st couple of years turned into fantastic trades that led the team to Back to Back Stanley Cups!

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Tanev looks absolutely awesome for the Penguins and Gudbranson looked great last year for the Penguins. If you want to bring up examples of bad acquisitions, you should be adding Hunwick to JJ, not Tanev or Gudbranson.

Ya, if we continue to deploy Tanev as the forecheck/backcheck/paycheck guy on Malkin or Crosby's line, he will put up 20/20 and justify the contract.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Whatever team signed him wouldn't have to worry about sore throats any more.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He has good talents but he gives bad on ice results, he's a weird defenseman. Watching him makes you really happy with his play, then you look at his on ice results and gag.

He's a good skater (especially when carrying the puck), has a rocket of a shot, is a strong puck mover and is a well rounded 2-way player. He just can't combine all of those into good results.

Meets the eye test, fails the stats test.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't understand why the coaching staff refuses to give him a long look. He had a rough first half (possession stats-wise), but his second half was pretty good.

He's got mobility and can move the puck, things that generally are looked favorably on in today's game. Yet the Pens' coaching staff doesn't seem to see him as anything beyond an extra who only dresses if multiple defensemen are hurt.

I agree with pixie (did I say that?) that he could actually be one of those low-key good additions for another club.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins are running with 7 D tonight, with Marino playing above Riikola. I think that pretty clearly shows where Riikola is on the depth chart.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Wouldn't you need to know the return before judging?

Did it make sense for the Devils to move Adam Larsson?
Yes, but Larsson had value around the league at that time. I don't think Riikola has much value right now, mostly because he's been sitting for guys like Johnson and Gudbranson. If he's traded it'll most likely be for peanuts and I don't see the point.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If the Penguins do this it's because no one would take Johnson. Or they wouldn't do it without so much of a sweetener JR felt like it would be a loss

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Vegas started off 17-18 with a similarly unbalanced roster, and it worked out for them in the end. IIRC they might have even had 11F-10D at one point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad