Friedman: Penguins could move Juuso Rikkola

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
FWIW

I think Gudbranson gets moved at this point, and I think Gudbranson+ to Winnipeg for Perreault is a pretty realistic suggestion for a trade.

In just over a year, turn expiring Hagelin into Gudbranson‘s contract and term. Try to trade back for him. Use Connor Sheary to create cap space to sign JMFJ to 5 years. Oleksiak gets a 3 year deal based off a tiny sample, then JR adds like 4 LH defenseman and trades him half a season into that deal. Almost immediately turn around and shop JJ/Guds for what’s gonna be trash for trash, spare parts at best.

At least optically, this is seemingly a GM without a plan derailing his own roster. Nearly all cap/roster issues have been self-inflicted and he’s beginning to seriously unravel this team. No lineup continuity due to constant deals, and going on year 3 of trades it just feels like desperation, throwing shit and hoping it sticks at this point.

Appreciate Rutherford’s work in the 2 cups, he seriously was magic for those... but I can’t think of many other situations in the league where if this was happening I’d sit from a neutral perspective and think this isn’t the beginning of the end for JR, and possibly the coach. Maybe it already needs to be over.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In just over a year, turn expiring Hagelin into Gudbranson‘s contract and term. Try to trade back for him. Use Connor Sheary to create cap space to sign JMFJ to 5 years. Oleksiak gets a 3 year deal based off a tiny sample, then JR adds like 4 LH defenseman and trades him half a season into that deal. Almost immediately turn around and shop them for what’s gonna be trash for trash, spare parts at best.

At least optically, this is seemingly a GM without a plan derailing his own roster. Nearly all cap/roster issues have been self-inflicted and he’s beginning to seriously unravel this team. No lineup continuity due to constant deals, and going on year 3 of trades it just feels like desperation, throwing **** and hoping it sticks at this point.

Ding ding ding, I think you're 100% spot on here.

Appreciate Rutherford’s work in the 2 cups, he seriously was magic for those... but I can’t think of many other situations in the league where if this was happening I’d sit from a neutral perspective and think this isn’t the beginning of the end for JR, and possibly the coach. Maybe it already needs to be over.

I think this is just who Rutherford has always been. He's a mad scientist, he either turns lead into gold or blows up a city. He was the same way in 2015 and 2016, his moves just worked better then. I don't think JR is doing anything differently now than he did then, he's just not getting as good of results now.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Ding ding ding, I think you're 100% spot on here.

I think this is just who Rutherford has always been. He's a mad scientist, he either turns lead into gold or blows up a city. He was the same way in 2015 and 2016, his moves just worked better then. I don't think JR is doing anything differently now than he did then, he's just not getting as good of results now.

Results and cap flexibility. They’re kind of tied together but the difference from 16/17 is now JR has taken maybe the best cap situation in the league and made it very ugly, very fast imo.

I’m usually not negative, but if this season indeed doesn’t go well.. there’s not really a quick way out with how locked in we are to chunky mediocre/bad deals. I think it’s largely due to the GM’s freewheeling.

You had to figure it would catch up to us, just (still early, so hopefully) not this soon.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ideas:

Johnson
Gudbranson

For

Colin Wilson
Mikkel Boedker
Victor Rask

Any matches there?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Nobody wants JMFJ.

You add Riikola as a sweetener and still nobody wants Johnson. Makes sense to trade the guy you are able to trade.
crosby want jack mf johnson so if the pens can hide him may as well make sid happy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I dont think it matters which dman goes out. The existance of EG and JJ on the roster is not the issue. Their existance on the ice is the issue. Trade one, scratch the other amd you're okay.

Ideally trade JJ, scratch EG, insert forward, Riikola, and Marino and I think they're in a better position.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Wow, he played in the NHL. So did Hagg for the past two years, is he an asset now too?
Nah, I know Hagg so by your logic, since I know him he should have some value, right?

Wrong. Which is why your logic "i don't know him; therefore he stinks" is stupid.

Reactions: SEALBound

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
(During HoF induction night)

“So, Jim... what is your vision for your hockey club as your career winds down?”

“I’m not sure.”

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
In just over a year, turn expiring Hagelin into Gudbranson‘s contract and term. Try to trade back for him. Use Connor Sheary to create cap space to sign JMFJ to 5 years. Oleksiak gets a 3 year deal based off a tiny sample, then JR adds like 4 LH defenseman and trades him half a season into that deal. Almost immediately turn around and shop JJ/Guds for what’s gonna be trash for trash, spare parts at best.

At least optically, this is seemingly a GM without a plan derailing his own roster. Nearly all cap/roster issues have been self-inflicted and he’s beginning to seriously unravel this team. No lineup continuity due to constant deals, and going on year 3 of trades it just feels like desperation, throwing **** and hoping it sticks at this point.

You pretty much nailed it.

There was a time when he made very ballsy calls and gambled to take the Pens from being a tame, easy playoff out (Shero years) to being a legit threat. The three part cocktail of JR's moves (the big trades, the little additions, the "fixing his mistakes" trades) + the maturation of solid role players from WBS + the arrival of Sullivan were what made us a dangerous team those years.

But now he's painted himself into a corner with his roster moves, and no longer has the future assets or the cap room to exhibit his previous creativity. He's just not the guy to get us out of the situation we're currently in. I hope management can just have a conversation with him and take the keys away.

If someone can come in and solve the salary issues with bloated contracts, as well as the players that still don't seem to fit, then I think we have the younger talent to step up and breathe a little life into the season. Galchenyuk and McCann to step up in the top 6, Teddy and Lafferty in the bottom 6, and guys like Rikkola and Marino to help out on the blue line (for a fraction of what Gudbranson and JJ cost). Better yet if we can free that salary and secure guys like the above six (and Murray) on a longer term basis we might be able to keep the window open a little longer.

A big litmus test for me would've been Bjugstad. Of course, with the injury that's kind of gone, but if Rutherford had've moved Bjug (a talented but, right now, ill-fitting player) for a similarly underperforming asset, that would've been emblematic of the early Pens JR that was not afraid to cut bait if one of his moves was a flop. Of course, if he's handcuffed his ability to make a larger deal because of his other bad signings, that's entirely on him.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
As long as their are idiot GM's, and there are plenty, the Penguins will be fine.

Rutherford stinks at contracts but he can pull a decent trade off.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just pull the trigger already. It's ridiculous that the roster is carrying like 20 defensemen and have to use some of them in practice rotations on the 4th line with so many forwards out injured.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Yeah, you have to worry when a guy has only won 2 out of the last 4 Cups.
Not saying he’s bad but he was given Murray,Letang, Crosby, Malkin, Guzentzel And Maybe Kessel? Before he started. He didn’t really have to do much to win. Shero did most.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Not saying he’s bad but he was given Murray,Letang, Crosby, Malkin, Guzentzel And Maybe Kessel? Before he started. He didn’t really have to do much to win. Shero did most.

Lol, that team did absolutely nothing after winning the cup in 09, under Rutherford they won 2 in what? 4?. Shero may have built the core but failed to get a supporting cast, Rutherford succeeded in doing so. Also, Kessel was a Ruthorford deal and Letang, Guentzel and Murray most definitely had more to do with scouts than Shero. Crosby and Malkin were obvious picks. Shero did nothing.

NOLAPensFan

Feb 19, 2014
Lol, that team did absolutely nothing after winning the cup in 09, under Rutherford they won 2 in what? 4?. Shero may have built the core but failed to get a supporting cast, Rutherford succeeded in doing so. Also, Kessel was a Ruthorford deal and Letang, Guentzel and Murray most definitely had more to do with scouts than Shero. Crosby and Malkin were obvious picks. Shero did nothing.
Crosby and Malkin were Craig Patrick draft picks.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Jack Johnson and First Rounder gets JJ moved. Don't kid yourself. Rutherford just hasn't offered it up yet.

That’s what it would take to grab my interest as a Jets fan and even then I’d have reservations.

If they’d just buy him out after the season, I’d be okay with it. Don’t want him for the length of his contract.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad