Friedman: Penguins could move Juuso Rikkola

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Sorry but this really irritates the hell out of me. Especially considering the circumstances.
First off, to those saying that he wasn't good last season, wording in a way to imply that he was bad, that is false. No he wasn't good yet he wasn't poor either.
Then when judging his play solely from a macro POV is incredibly irrational. This guy had/has promise and potential but was/is yet another victim of the Sullivan/GMJR school of idiocy in asset mismanagement. A school continuing to thrive even now.
Don't tell me that he was given not just the chances others were given, or even given close to a fair chance. Don't tell me that he was given room to grow by playing the type of game which would maximize his impact. Don't tell me that he was given the opportunity to learn the NHL game and whether he could play.
Dude was straight up Spronged by Sullivan who completely neutered the part of his game that would add value or impact the team. He brings offense and a great shot but wasn't allowed to showcase that because Sullivan tried to turn him into a defensive Dman (and even then, his defense was relatively average). Which is great and all except that when you have offensive abilities and you are afraid of using them because if you make a single mistake then your coach will scratch you for weeks at a time, you feel like you're playing with a gun to your head. And that is exactly what happened. He started playing with the focus only on not making mistakes and as such, didn't attempt to use his skating or shot to create. When he inevitably would make a mistake being a defensive Dman (something he's never been), Sullivan would healthy scratch him for literally weeks.
Yeah, such a great tactic and brilliant coaching technique for a young prospect with potential who is in North America for the first time, trying to get used to the smaller rinks and playing against the best players the sport can offer. Sit him for weeks then throw him out there cold against NHL talent while telling him to play a style which he hasn't played rather than the one which complements his skillset (and the very reason he was signed) and make sure he knows that mistakes have a severe penalty.
Oh, and the best part? Watching the other guys in your team, playing your position making a slew of mistakes, many of the same ones Rikola could make himself, as well as those guys making the exact same mistakes over and over game in and game out with not so much as shifts missed let alone getting scratched one game.
Not only is he not placed in an environment to succeed, but his environment is an almost sure fire recipe for failure for any young player.
On talent alone Rikola IS our 5th best option. Yet he is yanked from the 3rd pair before game 1, watches another guy get put in the game as the 7th defenseman (brilliant idea Sully) on a cash strapped team which risked waiving a promising/useful player to carry 9 defensemen unnecessarily.
So yeah, while Sullivan and GMJR have won two of the last 4 cups, they were also swept in one of the past one, bounced in a game 6 that none of the players seemed all that interested in playing the year before and have undoubtedly made it harder on themselves by bringing in dead weight with a high cap hit or sent players away because our coach has a major attitude problem and clearly plays favorites. And he always has. So if we are going to call out posters from other teams questioning our GMs moves by throwing out cup wins, at least acknowledge the role management has played in the clear regression. I personally think the players have had enough of listening to Sullivan and that our once heralded atmosphere and culture is clearly divided and fractured.
One more thing. I keep seeing (even in this thread) talk of the emergence of Marino. All of the Pens fans hyping him. Since he has played a very uneventful 10 minutes in exactly 1 game and since it started with the rookie tournament until the current crescendo we see now, it's safe to assume that the hype is based overwhelmingly upon his preseason.
I'd like to point out that while his preseason was good, it is nowhere near as good nor has he had even close to the impact that Jusso did in the previous years preseason games. Jusso Rikola was a dominant player that year. Coincidentally it was also the last time where he was allowed freely, to play the game his way and utilize his strengths to help the team. Once the season started, he was given a different set of instructions and avoiding weeks in the press box became not upon success, or showing growth playing that way, but rather he was judged on whether he fell short of the perfection. And that was a standard that nobody can survive, let alone grow or thrive in, nor was it a barometer that other players were held accountable to.
Spronged.

Reactions: The Old Master

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
He has good talents but he gives bad on ice results, he's a weird defenseman. Watching him makes you really happy with his play, then you look at his on ice results and gag.

He's a good skater (especially when carrying the puck), has a rocket of a shot, is a strong puck mover and is a well rounded 2-way player. He just can't combine all of those into good results.
Are you talking about his metrics/advanced stats when you say:
"then you look at his on ice results and gag".

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Are you talking about his metrics/advanced stats when you say:
"then you look at his on ice results and gag".

I believe he is. Riikola is one of the more odd imbalances of the eye test vs adv stats test. Looks great on the ice, then meh in the numbers. Its a good case study as to why you cant focus too hard one way.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Tanev looks absolutely awesome for the Penguins and Gudbranson looked great last year for the Penguins. If you want to bring up examples of bad acquisitions, you should be adding Hunwick to JJ, not Tanev or Gudbranson.

Oh I don't know . . . turning Hagelin and his expiring contract into Pearson then Pearson into Gudbranson and his 4M hit is what I'd call an example of bad cap management.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
That’s what it would take to grab my interest as a Jets fan and even then I’d have reservations.

If they’d just buy him out after the season, I’d be okay with it. Don’t want him for the length of his contract.
I'd rather not gift the Jets a 1st round pick even if it's to dump Jack Johnson on them

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Couple trades thoughts I'd like to get thoughts on:

[PIT] Jusso Riikola for [CHI] Brandon Perlini

#7 dman for #13 forward, could both potentially help each team.

[PIT] Erik Gudbranson + Zach Aston-Reese for [CGY] Derek Ryan + Michael Stone

Basically a bottom 3 dman for a bottom 6 center, with replacements to balance.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Sorry but this really irritates the hell out of me. Especially considering the circumstances.
First off, to those saying that he wasn't good last season, wording in a way to imply that he was bad, that is false. No he wasn't good yet he wasn't poor either.
Then when judging his play solely from a macro POV is incredibly irrational. This guy had/has promise and potential but was/is yet another victim of the Sullivan/GMJR school of idiocy in asset mismanagement. A school continuing to thrive even now.
Don't tell me that he was given not just the chances others were given, or even given close to a fair chance. Don't tell me that he was given room to grow by playing the type of game which would maximize his impact. Don't tell me that he was given the opportunity to learn the NHL game and whether he could play.
Dude was straight up Spronged by Sullivan who completely neutered the part of his game that would add value or impact the team. He brings offense and a great shot but wasn't allowed to showcase that because Sullivan tried to turn him into a defensive Dman (and even then, his defense was relatively average). Which is great and all except that when you have offensive abilities and you are afraid of using them because if you make a single mistake then your coach will scratch you for weeks at a time, you feel like you're playing with a gun to your head. And that is exactly what happened. He started playing with the focus only on not making mistakes and as such, didn't attempt to use his skating or shot to create. When he inevitably would make a mistake being a defensive Dman (something he's never been), Sullivan would healthy scratch him for literally weeks.
Yeah, such a great tactic and brilliant coaching technique for a young prospect with potential who is in North America for the first time, trying to get used to the smaller rinks and playing against the best players the sport can offer. Sit him for weeks then throw him out there cold against NHL talent while telling him to play a style which he hasn't played rather than the one which complements his skillset (and the very reason he was signed) and make sure he knows that mistakes have a severe penalty.
Oh, and the best part? Watching the other guys in your team, playing your position making a slew of mistakes, many of the same ones Rikola could make himself, as well as those guys making the exact same mistakes over and over game in and game out with not so much as shifts missed let alone getting scratched one game.
Not only is he not placed in an environment to succeed, but his environment is an almost sure fire recipe for failure for any young player.
On talent alone Rikola IS our 5th best option. Yet he is yanked from the 3rd pair before game 1, watches another guy get put in the game as the 7th defenseman (brilliant idea Sully) on a cash strapped team which risked waiving a promising/useful player to carry 9 defensemen unnecessarily.
So yeah, while Sullivan and GMJR have won two of the last 4 cups, they were also swept in one of the past one, bounced in a game 6 that none of the players seemed all that interested in playing the year before and have undoubtedly made it harder on themselves by bringing in dead weight with a high cap hit or sent players away because our coach has a major attitude problem and clearly plays favorites. And he always has. So if we are going to call out posters from other teams questioning our GMs moves by throwing out cup wins, at least acknowledge the role management has played in the clear regression. I personally think the players have had enough of listening to Sullivan and that our once heralded atmosphere and culture is clearly divided and fractured.
One more thing. I keep seeing (even in this thread) talk of the emergence of Marino. All of the Pens fans hyping him. Since he has played a very uneventful 10 minutes in exactly 1 game and since it started with the rookie tournament until the current crescendo we see now, it's safe to assume that the hype is based overwhelmingly upon his preseason.
I'd like to point out that while his preseason was good, it is nowhere near as good nor has he had even close to the impact that Jusso did in the previous years preseason games. Jusso Rikola was a dominant player that year. Coincidentally it was also the last time where he was allowed freely, to play the game his way and utilize his strengths to help the team. Once the season started, he was given a different set of instructions and avoiding weeks in the press box became not upon success, or showing growth playing that way, but rather he was judged on whether he fell short of the perfection. And that was a standard that nobody can survive, let alone grow or thrive in, nor was it a barometer that other players were held accountable to.
Spronged.
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

I quite like Rikkola. Wonder what'll happen to the Pens blueline.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Couple trades thoughts I'd like to get thoughts on:

[PIT] Jusso Riikola for [CHI] Brandon Perlini

#7 dman for #13 forward, could both potentially help each team.

[PIT] Erik Gudbranson + Zach Aston-Reese for [CGY] Derek Ryan + Michael Stone

Basically a bottom 3 dman for a bottom 6 center, with replacements to balance.

Why the hell do the Flames do that?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
He has good talents but he gives bad on ice results, he's a weird defenseman. Watching him makes you really happy with his play, then you look at his on ice results and gag.

He's a good skater (especially when carrying the puck), has a rocket of a shot, is a strong puck mover and is a well rounded 2-way player. He just can't combine all of those into good results.

And he has exactly one season of North American hockey under his belt... he has played a whopping 37 nhl games... and 5 in the ahl...I don’t think he has gotten any real chance yet... they liked him enough to keep him up, but didn’t really play him enough to put everything together in the NHL game... he has the tools... he won’t get to use them on the bench

Id much rather he play than whatever physical d scrub they put in over him... he has late bloomer potential from being overseas until he was 25...

Reactions: The Old Master

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't get my Montreal looked at Riikola when they already have Mike Reilly, who's basically Riikola who has actually had decent results over his career.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't get my Montreal looked at Riikola when they already have Mike Reilly, who's basically Riikola who has actually had decent results over his career.

Well, they reportedly looked at Riikola. That doesn't mean they are looking at him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad