Rumor: Penguins-Canucks trade in the works

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Trading JT Miller before his extension kicks in would be a very bad look
It'd be similar to the Leafs trading Kessel 1 year into his 8 year contract... PR wasn't an issue because everybody knew they were rebuilding which is what the Canucks probably should do (at least a mini rebuild where you tank this/next year while keeping Petersson/Hughes and a few other younger players).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Tradebreakers on TSN just mentioned that if the deal gets done, PIT is looking to move a roster player, not all picks, out for Miller

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just can't imagine there is any way Miller to Pittsburgh works at this point, unless the Penguins acquired Granlund to flip him to Vancouver for Miller. That would satisfy their need to grab a center, but that seems like a video game idea and not anything NHL teams actually do.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
The canucks are 2 or 3 dmen away from becoming a great team.

We have ample scoring and forward depth. If we added competent Dmen and a structured system the Canucks will be great.

Two top four d-men and a depth d-man a 3rd line center. They also need at least 4 or 5 depth fills, especially at center.

Ways off as they have no potential top 4 d prospects, likely non coming.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Any Miller deal has to be stone dead. I dont know how on earth the Penguins could swing it salary-wise today without significant retention, from Vancouver or a third team. And that is never going to happen on an 8 year deal.

The only thing that could possibly happen is a major roster member going back. The Granlund deal essentially put that out to pasture. Not unless someone like Rust or Granlund (lol) is going back in return.

Edit; Empoleon just said the same thing.

It'd be similar to the Leafs trading Kessel 1 year into his 8 year contract... PR wasn't an issue because everybody knew they were rebuilding which is what the Canucks probably should do (at least a mini rebuild where you tank this/next year while keeping Petersson/Hughes and a few other younger players).
That's the analogy right there. It must've been annoying to be retaining money on Kessel while he was winning cups in Pittsburgh, but the leafs cut bait and rebuilt properly, and look at them now.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Would they flip a guy like Jeff Carter?

Mackenzie seemed to suggest they need a contract going back the other way that Vancouver would flip

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Damn so pens were close to Chychrun and JT Miller but ended up with Granlund and Bonino 🤦
Chych and Miller I would've been scared about.

Chych and Boeser I would've been on board with. I think both would have excelled, and most importnatly might've given the team one last kick of the can.

But thinking ahead, they could've been young enough to sell on for assets in 2-3 seasons, when the Penguins really fall off a cliff, and appeal which Miller didnt have. Imagine jumpstarting a rebuild by moving Boeser (28), Chrychun (26), Guentzel (30) and Jarry (28) in a sellers market.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Damn so pens were close to Chychrun and JT Miller but ended up with Granlund and Bonino 🤦

9a40ad32b08de67766017ab99b8ddd8c

We are going to do everything we can to improve the team.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I just can't imagine there is any way Miller to Pittsburgh works at this point, unless the Penguins acquired Granlund to flip him to Vancouver for Miller. That would satisfy their need to grab a center, but that seems like a video game idea and not anything NHL teams actually do.
But with Granlund AND Bonino...now Vancouver hit the jackpot.

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
Penguins do have a glut if potential other Ds, Friedman and Ruhwedel just kinda hanging out there.

Guess you could move Dumo who is falling apart not sure I like it but they have bodies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad