Confirmed with Link: Penguins bring back Cullen

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s a perpetually overrated team and not only by their fans, imo.

I don't know. I've seen a lot of trade talk with them, and when they're talking trade value they're pretty sure that they're just a bubble team who should accept the time has passed rather than getting an expensive win now player ;)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Even if Cullen produces even half the points he did the last time he was a Penguin, the guy is still an upgrade over a couple of the players we dressed regularly for the 4th line last year. He's still solid on faceoffs and can PK, too, so there's that.
We need to not compare any player to our fourth line players from last year. That bar is beyond low. It was just embarrassing.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I honestly can’t believe Penguins fans can complain at that price. If he’s bad, we bury him and offer him a coaching gig.

Also, Wild fans are arguably my least favorite fan base. They think that team is good LOL. I remember someone telling me on a stream during Staal’s first year there they were Western Conference Champs at minimum. Completely ignoring the Boudreau effect.

Yeah my first thought was the offer had some potential coaching position attached to it. And yes, his wife, who Cullen indicated was competitive, must have ignored the BB effect when she wanted them all to move back to Minny.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
If he sucks, you can always bury him in the minors with his minimum-league salary and I am sure that he would retire at that point.

There is no denying that he will make a positive influence in the locker room. I do not think by any means he should be handed a spot in the line-up on a frequent basis, unless if he shows that he is capable of doing so.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
My guess is that Cullen will likely be the 4th line LW to start the season, with Cullen-Sheahan-ZAR as the 4th line. It helps the PK too because Cullen is a proven PKer.

But the problem is that he's just old as ****. Just why?

Two thoughts come to mind.
1) Vet Winger/center who's great in the circle and who can PK.
2) Veteran player for in the actual room. We lost a lot of ppl last summer in Cullen, Kunitz, MAF, Bonino, Cole (this spring) and Daley. That's a lot of bodies leaving. That's not even counting the rentals we brought in in Hainsey and Streit.

While I think there's others who could have come in and filled #1, there's not many who could have come in and filled #2. That said... I have pretty low expectations for him. Fortunately, we're really strong at center, so we shouldn't have to lean on him like we had to at times before.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
If we go into the season with our current roster as Is, plus the addition of Sprong on the top 6, this is one hell of a team from top to bottom.

That being said, I guess we're gonna stick with Hags for the duration of his contract then? Never been much of a fan of his cap hit in all honesty...

Reactions: Jacob

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
For that cap hit, a great signing. Cullen-Sheahan-Simon/ZAR/Rust is an awesome fourth line. Just hope JR doesn't use this as impetus for trading Brassard.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Mehhhermuh.... at those numbers he's very low risk but I have never been a fan of "getting the band back together." It almost never works out. See also: Chicago Blackhawks.
Nah, the comparable would be if they traded Brassard for Bonino. This is just correcting a mistake. Cullen had to get it out of his system, I guess.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If we go into the season with our current roster as Is, plus the addition of Sprong on the top 6, this is one hell of a team from top to bottom.

That being said, I guess we're gonna stick with Hags for the duration of his contract then? Never been much of a fan of his cap hit in all honesty...

I think Hags is a more complete player than Rust. His contract has been fine.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
If he sucks, you can always bury him in the minors with his minimum-league salary and I am sure that he would retire at that point.

Um. No. Not really. I guess you could, if you have zero business acumen or don't look at players as anything beyond a numbers game.

A player with extensive history with the GM being brought in specifically for a role isn't gonna be dumped to the minors. That's ridiculous to expect.

The ONLY way that happens, is wild injuries requiring every cap dollar around to bring in rentals, and Cullen agrees to a move to AHL on paper. But I will guarantee you he will never actually put on a WBS uniform this year no matter what.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

RxPens

Oct 7, 2008
Completely risk free signing. Injuries are going to happen and we have a healthy stock of utility players this coming season. Image a healthy team with an L4 of Cullen-Sheahan-Rust come playoff time...

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

I don’t think it matters for Sprong with top 6 and he just needs top 9 because on any of those lines he will have talent to work with.

Also I think Hagelin is an important player on the team. When you play an aggressive forechecking system designed on speed like we do then players Hagelin and Rust are a necessity I wish we would of added Grabner because I want that type of player on every line. Also those types of players are great PK types.

I have always been a believer in balanced lines with playmaker, goal scorer, and a forechecker to do the dirty work. Of course a player can have more than one of those abilities.

I do agree I would rather have Hagelin on less of a cap hit although with the way contracts are rising he is not grossly overpaid anymore. I believe he is in the neighborhood of Rust. In fact during the first of the back to back Cups I said I believed Rust will become a Hagelin type. Unfortunately Hagelin is not producing as much as back then when HBK was producing like a top line. Hagelin also was coming off back to back 17 goal seasons before that season also. I still believe he is worth $3 to $3.5 million a year for all the little things he brings to the team.

Haggling actually played pretty well after a bad first half. He finished with 31 points which is near his norm of mid 30’s. His 10 goals was a little off his 14-17 goal type seasons but I believe he is capable of hitting near those numbers.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
For that cap hit, a great signing. Cullen-Sheahan-Simon/ZAR/Rust is an awesome fourth line. Just hope JR doesn't use this as impetus for trading Brassard.

I agree with all this. I hope he does not trade Brassard although I would be open for it if it is a sweetheart deal. For example if some team wants to sign him to an extension and worked out a deal during the trade process and that gave us some package or player that makes us better then I would be willing to listen. For example someone younger and under contract like Gallagher or Droin if we believe he is better than what he was last year. Some other team that is hurting for a center that might overpay. Actually if signed he should bring back better than those 2 because that is a fair deal if Brassard agreed to a new contract so on second thought I would want more. If a team is desperate for a center I am not going to trade a 45-60 point center for a winger with same production. Needs to make us better.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I feel like Hagelin has been a slow starter the past few seasons, including the year we traded for him (which is why the Ducks wanted to get rid of him in the first place IIRC). He always ramps it up for the playoffs though. I wouldn't rule out moving him for the right return, as is the case with most players not named Crosby or Malkin, but I like what he brings as a whole.

I like bringing Cullen back at that deal. Just need to manage his games/minutes for a while so we don't wear him down.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Cheap dirt deal for ...yeah an oldie, but Cullen's trademark is wheels, our 4rth is big time boosted, again.

Yeah!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like Hagelin has been a slow starter the past few seasons, including the year we traded for him (which is why the Ducks wanted to get rid of him in the first place IIRC). He always ramps it up for the playoffs though. I wouldn't rule out moving him for the right return, as is the case with most players not named Crosby or Malkin, but I like what he brings as a whole.

I like bringing Cullen back at that deal. Just need to manage his games/minutes for a while so we don't wear him down.

I would rather keep Hagelin, I would just re-sign him to around 3m/yr after his contract is up. He's a big part of that "speed game" that the Pens like to employ, especially on the forecheck. Unless you had a similarly speedy winger like him available, I hang on to him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I would rather keep Hagelin, I would just re-sign him to around 3m/yr after his contract is up. He's a big part of that "speed game" that the Pens like to employ, especially on the forecheck. Unless you had a similarly speedy winger like him available, I hang on to him.

You would just re-sign him for that, but Hagelin and his agent would be stupid to sign that until they fully explored the market. Dude has had plenty of team success and likely will want to be paid for it. I can't see why a team won't give him 4MM per again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad