Confirmed with Link: Penguins bring back Cullen

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Any negative of Cullen possibly bumping a young guy out of the team is more than mitigated by the leadership he’ll bring to the young players, namely Sprong & ZAR & Simon.

AND, specifically I think, he can really help bring along and mentor a guy like Blueger who is clearly knocking on the door. Whether they trade Brass for a LW or put Brass on LW (which I think fills a need and kind of kills 2 birds with 1 stone while still giving us versatility should we need to move Brass back to C), then Cullen could help Blueger transition into the 4th line spot if Sheahan is on the 3rd line.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I can't believe someone signed him. I loved him during his first stint with the Wild, but in the encore, he didn't do much other than feud with the coach pout about playing on 4th line.

Yeah, we all know, it was his fault the Wild were one and done the last three years straight. Now that he's gone, you can finally break the Cullen curse.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This signing shows how bare our younger player pool is right now. But at least this will ensure that piece of crap Rowney isn’t on this team this year.

Reactions: damoose212001

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I get this from a Penguin perspective, but not a Cullen perspective. He wanted to go to Minnesota and lay down roots. At least that was the narrative we got.

Reactions: USMC607

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Even if Cullen produces even half the points he did the last time he was a Penguin, the guy is still an upgrade over a couple of the players we dressed regularly for the 4th line last year. He's still solid on faceoffs and can PK, too, so there's that.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Even if Cullen produces even half the points he did the last time he was a Penguin, the guy is still an upgrade over a couple of the players we dressed regularly for the 4th line last year. He's still solid on faceoffs and can PK, too, so there's that.

And still pretty damn quick and durable for an old timer. We're essentially paying the guy less than we used to pay Craig Adams 4 years ago #foodforthought

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
I hope Jr doesn't make any more moves till December.

Lw's. Jake, Hags, ZAR, Simon and maybe Brassard.

C's. Sid, Geno, maybe Brassard, Sheahan, Cullen, Blueger

Rw's. Phil, Horny, Sprong, Rust

D. Tang, Dumo, Schultz, Olli, JJ, Big Rig, Ruhwedel

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I honestly can’t believe Penguins fans can complain at that price. If he’s bad, we bury him and offer him a coaching gig.

Also, Wild fans are arguably my least favorite fan base. They think that team is good LOL. I remember someone telling me on a stream during Staal’s first year there they were Western Conference Champs at minimum. Completely ignoring the Boudreau effect.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Part of me wishes he just road off into the sunset and went down as a legend helping bring two Cups here as the league’s best 4th line center during that time.

At the price you can’t complain, but he wasn’t good for much of last season. Hope the city doesn’t shit on him if he sucks.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I honestly can’t believe Penguins fans can complain at that price. If he’s bad, we bury him and offer him a coaching gig.

Also, Wild fans are arguably my least favorite fan base. They think that team is good LOL. I remember someone telling me on a stream during Staal’s first year there they were Western Conference Champs at minimum. Completely ignoring the Boudreau effect.

It’s a perpetually overrated team and not only by their fans, imo.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I love both signings and this team is much better than the team that started the season last year and it is not even close. Also better than the playoff roster. What I like about this is we get two assets for nothing. So essentially we trade for a 4th which could be a high 3rd and dump $5.25 million cap space in Sheary and Hunwick and for $3.9 million we have Cullen and Johnson. So I look at it as a free pick while improving our roster.

I always saw Sheary as the odd man out because he can’t play 4th line and Sprong can bring his offense for $2.25 million less. I would be very upset if the team did not give Sprong a top 9 spot this season because he is not suited for 4th line like Sheary and either you give him 40 games to see what you got or trade him because he can’t go down without losing him. Sheary was the winger that had to go to make this happen. Cullen can play PK and take important defensive zone faceoffs and can play center and wing. Cullen will be a 4th line winger and a fill in 4th line center when a center is injured.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Brassard-Sprong
Cullen-Sheahan-Aston-Reese

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Johnson-Oleksiak

Compared to last years team on game 1 it is crazy how much better this team is.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Cullen just wasnt a good fit on Minnys 4th line. Looked much bette on line 3.

Hell do fine in PGH ac

His signing also gives us options to play him, Brass, or Sheahan at 3/4C or 3/4LW

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Xaet5JY.png

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Finally getting Jack Johnson on the team and Matt Cullen coming back. Today had to be like Christmas for Sid.

I do find it curious that Cullen is coming back. I'm guessing Minnesota wanted to move on but Cullen still wants to play and Pittsburgh was his 2nd choice.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Finally getting Jack Johnson on the team and Matt Cullen coming back. Today had to be like Christmas for Sid.

I do find it curious that Cullen is coming back. I'm guessing Minnesota wanted to move on but Cullen still wants to play and Pittsburgh was his 2nd choice.

Chicago just spoiled it from Sid getting everything on his list.

Reactions: Pens x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad