Confirmed with Link: Penguins bring back Cullen

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yup. I can get behind that.

I thought it was kinda of a half-pointless signing, in some ways. But league minimum + the fact that he's loved by the team = me not *****ing about it.

I think he could solidify the LW a bit and give them more options with Brassard and Sheahan. He’ll probably be good for the kids and team. It’s that I’ll be really sad if he’s a shadow of himself and I don’t want to grow to resent watching him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I love Hagelin, I really do, but...

a) For ages, the answer to "How do we pay Jake" was "Let Hags walk and give Jake his money". How are we paying Jake if that doesn't happen?

b) How many guys on solid hurt-to-move contracts going into their 30s do we want? A few unexpectedly quick declines and it becomes pretty difficult to win.

You mean injuries. Injuries are what will give them that chance.

I am a tad worried I suppose that with Cullen here, that they'll slide him over to 4C rather than promote Blugers once the injuries happen, but they can still promote Blugers to be 4LW in that situation and that's still one hell of an education. Ideally though in the RS, they'd give a centre the chance and let Cullen educate them from the wing.

I think when you lose Brassard, you get some of that cap space to play with as well as the cap increase, allowing you to retain Guentzel at a fair cap hit (probably around 6-6.5m/yr).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I doubt it matters, because I doubt we plan to sit him.

I wish sitting players to preserve them was a thing here. I'm so used to squad rotation in European sports, and then I watch the NHL, which is a much harsher grind, and nobody misses a game if they can help it. Despite the fact that losing a regular season game has far less impact in the NHL than in other sports.

We've seen it with goaltenders - less RS ice time has at least a mild to the eye correlation with PO performance. But nobody seems to want to extend it to skaters. It seems stupid to me - and I think the first coach to get rotation to stick (hard with limited roster sizes and the cap I guess) is going to see some big results.

I think when you lose Brassard, you get some of that cap space to play with as well as the cap increase, allowing you to retain Guentzel at a fair cap hit (probably around 6-6.5m/yr).

3m for a 3C is cheap unless you get an ELC. I don't see a huge amount of cap space to play with there once you've got a replacement.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wish sitting players to preserve them was a thing here. I'm so used to squad rotation in European sports, and then I watch the NHL, which is a much harsher grind, and nobody misses a game if they can help it. Despite the fact that losing a regular season game has far less impact in the NHL than in other sports.

We've seen it with goaltenders - less RS ice time has at least a mild to the eye correlation with PO performance. But nobody seems to want to extend it to skaters. It seems stupid to me - and I think the first coach to get rotation to stick (hard with limited roster sizes and the cap I guess) is going to see some big results.

3m for a 3C is cheap unless you get an ELC. I don't see a huge amount of cap space to play with there once you've got a replacement.

In that case I hope Freddie Tiffels has a HUGE year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think he could solidify the LW a bit and give them more options with Brassard and Sheahan. He’ll probably be good for the kids and team. It’s that I’ll be really sad if he’s a shadow of himself and I don’t want to grow to resent watching him.

I look at it this way: at the very least, Cullen is always going to make the smart play. In all his time here, I can't remember saying "what a dumb move, Cullen". Didn't happen.

Getting that hockey IQ, PK ability, 50% on faceoffs, and ~20 points for league minimum is a good deal.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Happens in Aussie Rules too. You might see an older guy who is still useful but they plan it out for him to play about 15 of the 22 game season with the intent on having him in good shape for the finals.

Never see it in hockey which is kind of weird since it’s an 82 game season.

Reactions: Peat

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Johnson or Di Pauli are better hopes.

Or see if we can make a trade for a speedster someone is undervaluing.
If Johnson comes to camp stronger, I'm expecting a big year from him. I think he can be a good top 6 LW for us.

I wonder how he was defensively last year. I remember reading, when he signed, that he has played some D in the past.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Johnson comes to camp stronger, I'm expecting a big year from him. I think he can be a good top 6 LW for us.

I wonder how he was defensively last year. I remember reading, when he signed, that he has played some D in the past.

I know he did some PKing. Johnson is the guy I have the biggest hope for as he's quick, skilled, and clearly has some sense of defensive responsibility. Whether he puts it together, who knows...?

LW could be a real weak spot for us next season (where we kinda have to keep Hagelin) or a real strength. Or anywhere in between. So many interesting but not odds-on prospects.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I know he did some PKing. Johnson is the guy I have the biggest hope for as he's quick, skilled, and clearly has some sense of defensive responsibility. Whether he puts it together, who knows...?

LW could be a real weak spot for us next season (where we kinda have to keep Hagelin) or a real strength. Or anywhere in between. So many interesting but not odds-on prospects.

Pretty much all of our LW issues would be solved if the Pens brass weren't allergic to playing Rust there. Rust-Brass-Kessel was awesome until they broke it up for no reason.

Guentzel-Crosby-Horny/Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong/Horny
Rust-Brassard- Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pretty much all of our LW issues would be solved if the Pens brass weren't allergic to playing Rust there. Rust-Brass-Kessel was awesome until they broke it up for no reason.

Guentzel-Crosby-Horny/Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong/Horny
Rust-Brassard- Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-Simon
with the amount we're looking at LW's, talk of centers being able to play LW, and no mention of Rust doing the same, I think this is still very unlikely to happen for any real length of time.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
with the amount we're looking at LW's, talk of centers being able to play LW, and no mention of Rust doing the same, I think this is still very unlikely to happen for any real length of time.

I agree. More a commentary on the stupidity of the Pens not exploring the bleedin' obvious. We have to re-arrange the make-up of the team, including possibly moving a natural center who we acquired to play 3C, in order to address a non-existent LW problem. Because we can't make a versatile winger switch sides in spite of having more RWs than we know what to do with.

Reactions: Jacob

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I agree. More a commentary on the stupidity of the Pens not exploring the bleedin' obvious. We have to re-arrange the make-up of the team, including possibly moving a natural center who we acquired to play 3C, in order to address a non-existent LW problem. Because we can't make a versatile winger switch sides in spite of having more RWs than we know what to do with.
I just have to think there's something we aren't seeing like an issue with breakouts or something. I don't know.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just have to think there's something we aren't seeing like an issue with breakouts or something. I don't know.

Could be. But it wouldn't be the first time this team had a dubious mental block preventing certain players in certain positions either.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

What Mike says about about the handedness affecting the zones they block being a big issue on a two-way guy (to paraphrase) makes sense.

Even if Rust transfers permanently over to LW, there's still a lot of question marks about the position going into the next season. Hagelin - hard to keep. Cullen - unknown. Simon, ZAR - sizeable potential and sizeable questions. It's genuinely possible we are looking to fill 2 LW positions next season, Rust or no.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I wanted to see DiPauli last year on the 4th line. Dude has some sandpaper to his game that we really needed and just never got called up for whatever reason.

He's fast, has decent 4th line skill for offense, and he's a bit of a pesky player. If he comes to camp stronger I hope he turns some heads.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wanted to see DiPauli last year on the 4th line. Dude has some sandpaper to his game that we really needed and just never got called up for whatever reason.

He's fast, has decent 4th line skill for offense, and he's a bit of a pesky player. If he comes to camp stronger I hope he turns some heads.

The team was pretty healthy. I don't think we played more than 2 AHL wings at a time. That's the main reason imo Di Pauli never got called up - that and Simon/ZAR/Sprong/Blugers being better performers with higher ceilings.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Just spit balling... I wonder if we'll see Brass occasionally double shifted on the 4th line in place of Cullen. That allows you to get Brass and the 4th line more ice while managing Cullen's minutes.

Yeah, it'll be an interesting thing to watch. I did some searching and he played a good chunk of games on D in high school and at least one game in college. If he puts it together, we could have a real nice two way forward. From what little I've seen of him, it seems like he has good vision too.

I could see him getting people's attention. If you consider that last year was basically his rookie season he could be ready to start pushing.

I think we're going to have a lot of good call up options this year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@SHOOTANDSCORE

Also, Dom Simon might be a wild card this year, he was invited by Sid to train with him, I am curious how much stronger Simon comes back, there was a good article by one of the Pens blog about the stats with Sid & Simon with possession and they're a solid duo, curious if Guentzel-Sid-Simon is a thing next season, allowing Horny to slot in on another line or maybe Simon just fits in the bottom 6 with another line better.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
@SHOOTANDSCORE

Also, Dom Simon might be a wild card this year, he was invited by Sid to train with him, I am curious how much stronger Simon comes back, there was a good article by one of the Pens blog about the stats with Sid & Simon with possession and they're a solid duo, curious if Guentzel-Sid-Simon is a thing next season, allowing Horny to slot in on another line or maybe Simon just fits in the bottom 6 with another line better.
That's a very promising development, IMO.

That could be good on a few levels. Obviously, I'm sure it will help develop his skills, and experiencing how hard Sid trains could be a big boost this season and beyond if he follows suit. I also think spending that much time around a guy of that stature could help him become more comfortable and not squeeze the stick as hard. Confidence is a funny thing, so maybe something as simple as that can help with his consistency.

I think this would be an awesome lineup if Sprong could play LW. I wouldn't want to do that to him in his first season though. I'd rather he focus on developing at a familiar position. Maybe give it a try in the Spring.
Guentzel Sid Simon
Hags Geno Kessel
Sprong Brass Horny
Cullen Sheahan Rust

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I look at it this way: at the very least, Cullen is always going to make the smart play. In all his time here, I can't remember saying "what a dumb move, Cullen". Didn't happen.

Getting that hockey IQ, PK ability, 50% on faceoffs, and ~20 points for league minimum is a good deal.
Yeah there's literally no bad thing about signing Cullen for league minimum.

I remember when he was killing a penalty and Cullen forced a turnover at his own blue line and went the other way with Karlsson a step or two behind. I thought to myself "too bad it isn't Hagelin or Cullen wasn't so old, there's no way Karlsson doesn't catch him" yet Cullen (skating with the puck) kept separation between himself and EK, went in untouched and scored a shorty. It was in that 8-5 game two years ago I believe. The guy still has some crazy wheels. Even if he's lost a step, he's still above average.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It mentions that Simon had an offer on the table to play in the KHL that was around 4x what he's making now, but he is supposedly stubborn and wants to make it in the NHL. I thought he was good last year, but sort of looked gassed and lost consistency as the season wore on. If Sid saw something in him enough to invite him to his training, that's good, I don't recall Sid doing that often, or maybe he has a standing offer to everyone and everyone is like "Nah man, I'm not trying to puke every workout, Sid" or something like that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah there's literally no bad thing about signing Cullen for league minimum.

I remember when he was killing a penalty and Cullen forced a turnover at his own blue line and went the other way with Karlsson a step or two behind. I thought to myself "too bad it isn't Hagelin or Cullen wasn't so old, there's no way Karlsson doesn't catch him" yet Cullen (skating with the puck) kept separation between himself and EK, went in untouched and scored a shorty. It was in that 8-5 game two years ago I believe. The guy still has some crazy wheels. Even if he's lost a step, he's still above average.

Also worth pointing out to all those who think he's done:

In the playoffs last year, Cullen outscored fellow Wild players/HF darlings Zucker, Coyle, and Niederreiter, and tied Staal.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It mentions that Simon had an offer on the table to play in the KHL that was around 4x what he's making now, but he is supposedly stubborn and wants to make it in the NHL. I thought he was good last year, but sort of looked gassed and lost consistency as the season wore on. If Sid saw something in him enough to invite him to his training, that's good, I don't recall Sid doing that often, or maybe he has a standing offer to everyone and everyone is like "Nah man, I'm not trying to puke every workout, Sid" or something like that.

Yeah, I think he definitely got worn down as the season went on and it probably hurt his confidence. If Crosby is good for one thing it’s his training.

Doesn’t the KHL have stuff with players not getting paid though? The NHL is probably overall safer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad