Confirmed with Link: Penguins bring back Cullen

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Woah had no idea Matt Cullen was originally drafted by the Ducks back in 1996 when the Spice Girls were the hottest women in the planet. Man these teams have alot of each others former players lol :)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cullen tends to come alive in the playoffs. At this point, he's saving his ammo till it counts.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Cullen tends to come alive in the playoffs. At this point, he's saving his ammo till it counts.

He's been in playoff form since he came back from injury. I don't get how he is still so damn good.

His skating is still great, his edge work is still amazing.

He's getting 85% Dzone starts too. Doing alot of the dirty work and soaking up tough mins on the PK and 5v5.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I really think he was playing through something to start the year. He was lights out in the preseason and then just suddenly dropped off. As soon as he returned he was back in beast mode.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I was just skimming this thread and wanted to share this awesome Cully pic in the Cup parade. :laugh:

480px-Matt_Cullen.jpg

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
My favorite quote from Cullen: "Cyclone Taylor was an absolute wizard on the, ice definitely my favorite player I've ever played with. Coming in as a rookie, and I as the seasoned veteran tried to comfort him so he can just play his game and it clearly worked out"

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
My favorite quote from Cullen: "Cyclone Taylor was an absolute wizard on the, ice definitely my favorite player I've ever played with. Coming in as a rookie, and I as the seasoned veteran tried to comfort him so he can just play his game and it clearly worked out"

Cyclone Taylor > Ron Francis... according to the History Board. Not even joking.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Superb play by Cully yesterday when he checked someone behind the net and fed Kessel who couldn't finish.

The guy still have wheels.

Thus the long career in what is now a speed oriented game.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Cyclone Taylor > Ron Francis... according to the History Board. Not even joking.

If you're ranking players by how they performed relative to their peers - which makes sense IMO - of course Taylor's better.

He was probably hockey's most well-known superstar ever before Morenz came along in the '20s - when the Stanley Cup had already been awarded for 30 years and pro hockey had been big since the '00s. Francis was incredible but he was never the most dominant player of his generation and biggest name in the history of his sport for 20 years.

Yeah I've been to the HoH board a few times. :laugh:

Reactions: seventieslord

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
If you're ranking players by how they performed relative to their peers - which makes sense IMO - of course Taylor's better.

He was probably hockey's most well-known superstar ever before Morenz came along in the '20s - when the Stanley Cup had already been awarded for 30 years and pro hockey had been big since the '00s. Francis was incredible but he was never the most dominant player of his generation and biggest name in the history of his sport for 20 years.

Yeah I've been to the HoH board a few times. :laugh:

I don't rank players by how well they performed relative to their peers... it's a foolish practice. And I can't imagine a world where greatness is measured by notoriety.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't rank players by how well they performed relative to their peers... it's a foolish practice. And I can't imagine a world where greatness is measured by notoriety.

I think it's the only way to responsibly rank players. That's where your problem with the HoH rankings lies.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I think it's the only way to responsibly rank players. That's where your problem with the HoH rankings lies.

Agreed, it's exactly where my problem with it lies. Without digressing too much, lemme just say that it's subjectivity of the highest order when you start elevating people based on the field they come from, and measure them against only their field... without paying any regard to the quality of that field itself. Professional hockey players from 100 years ago could not possibly hold a candle to today's athletes, and it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. "Dominance" is a completely different animal than "Greatness"... it decontextualizes the overall picture by virtue of its very parameters, and you cannot do that in a discussion about the "All-time". That's just asinine.

If HoH were to finally start calling their lists by their proper names, they'd do themselves a service, and other people wouldn't view them as nostalgic delusions.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agreed, it's exactly where my problem with it lies. Without digressing too much, lemme just say that it's subjectivity of the highest order when you start elevating people based on the field they come from, and measure them against only their field... without paying any regard to the quality of that field itself. Professional hockey players from 100 years ago could not possibly hold a candle to today's athletes, and it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. "Dominance" is a completely different animal than "Greatness"... it decontextualizes the overall picture by virtue of its very parameters, and you cannot do that in a discussion about the "All-time". That's just asinine.

If HoH were to finally start calling their lists by their proper names, they'd do themselves a service, and other people wouldn't view them as nostalgic delusions.

And if players from today didn't have the same benefit of coaching, training, nutrition, equipment, etc and had to play full games instead of shifts, things would probably look a lot different too. That's why it's better to measure vs. peers. Everything else is conjecture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad