Confirmed with Link: Penguins bring back Cullen

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I think he definitely got worn down as the season went on and it probably hurt his confidence. If Crosby is good for one thing it’s his training.

Doesn’t the KHL have stuff with players not getting paid though? The NHL is probably overall safer.
Yeah I would think Simon would at least sign with another NHL team, like he could go with a crappier team and get a larger role or better opportunity, on the Pens he has to really elevate his game and keep it elevated and that requires consistency in some form or another. Simon looked like he got out muscled a lot, but the speed, talent, etc was evident.

But I agree, with Sid, if anything he'll get his strength sorted out and perhaps learn a few things with his game too.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah I would think Simon would at least sign with another NHL team, like he could go with a crappier team and get a larger role or better opportunity, on the Pens he has to really elevate his game and keep it elevated and that requires consistency in some form or another. Simon looked like he got out muscled a lot, but the speed, talent, etc was evident.

But I agree, with Sid, if anything he'll get his strength sorted out and perhaps learn a few things with his game too.
Getting out-muscled was sort of an issue, but honestly his biggest problem imo was just really bad decisions on occasion. He had the Letang thing going where every mistake he made seemed to be a big one.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Getting out-muscled was sort of an issue, but honestly his biggest problem imo was just really bad decisions on occasion. He had the Letang thing going where every mistake he made seemed to be a big one.

I think with Simon, it was mostly just a kid that was over thinking it to stay in the line-up, those mistakes just seemed like a forced move when he should have been more patient with the puck. I am sure Sid is working on that with him.

Or in HFBoardology...

He's teaching him how to whine, chop off fingers, and castrate players. That dirty soft headed Timbit eating Nova Scotian.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

He was an RFA.

I think it was death by a thousand cuts by the end and working with Crosby should help a couple of them. He got out muscled, he could benefit from gaining some speed, his shot could be faster and/or more accurate and his decision making declined badly as the season went on suggesting some kind of fatigue.

It sounds like I think he’s awful... he’s not, it’s that small improvements should give him a good return overall. The speed, strength and stamina should help his decision making sustain over a season and let him use his strengths more effectively. Crosby should be some good for the strength, speed and stamina areas. Particularly his stamina.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He was an RFA.
If he wasn't qualified and free agent I meant. But even if the KHL was his option, he would be stupid to go. Like if I was a Euro player that wanted to go back to Europe to play, I would go to the SHL if anything. The KHL? Yeah no.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If he wasn't qualified and free agent I meant. But even if the KHL was his option, he would be stupid to go. Like if I was a Euro player that wanted to go back to Europe to play, I would go to the SHL if anything. The KHL? Yeah no.

I doubt they’d wouldn’t have qualified him? I feel the hypothetically hadn’t I think he would have tried the nhl again. If he’s didn’t have this contract I’d bet he’s got another couple of tries in him before moving on.

Yeah, I’d avoid the KHL, too. Swedish vs Russian is an easy choice and I’m sure safer.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So do we know why Cullen has come back to Pittsburgh? thought it was Minny or nothing, at least it seemed that way. Wonder if Cullen and the boys all wanted to come back and start their schooling here instead? and the wife said ok. He will get a job in the FO when he retires.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So do we know why Cullen has come back to Pittsburgh? thought it was Minny or nothing, at least it seemed that way. Wonder if Cullen and the boys all wanted to come back and start their schooling here instead? and the wife said ok. He will get a job in the FO when he retires.

Probably because he won’t get 650k doing anything else and still wants to play. You are a long time retired

Reactions: Peat and Ogrezilla

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I haven't watched the Penguins much this season. Curious how grandpa Cullen is doing? He's scoring at 9-10 goal pace and 27-28 point pace with 11 minutes of ice time per game, not bad for a 42 year old. Do you think he could play beyond this season? I wish he will continue to play as long he can, just to see how long that is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I haven't watched the Penguins much this season. Curious how grandpa Cullen is doing? He's scoring at 9-10 goal pace and 27-28 point pace with 11 minutes of ice time per game, not bad for a 42 year old. Do you think he could play beyond this season? I wish he will continue to play as long he can, just to see how long that is.

Has been his typically solid self. I hope they don’t bring him back due to us having TB in the minors, but I wouldn’t complain.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

At this point in time, I think the chances of him being able to play and be useful again next season are about as good as they can be at 42. Dunno whether he'd want to though.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hm. Another incorrect hot take by Empo. Who could’ve guess..

I remeber when he freaked out about Dea getting waived. Saying it was because of Cullen and that we shouldn't have signed him.

....we end up getting Dea back anyway..lol. And Cullen has been amazing post injury return. Looks like he did 2015-2017. He's the best C on the roster after Malkin and Crosby..

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He’s been alright. Maybe not as many positive / noticeable plays as he would have 2 seasons ago but he’s still basically a mistake-free 4C that’s not an abomination in the offensive zone.

Probably also the thing that can’t be seen or measured is his presence on the bench and in the locker, and probably off the ice as well.

At some point we gotta f***ing find our bottom Cs internally, though.

Whatever Cullen’s doing to maintain his legs and skating, hopefully he’s passing that on to Sid & Letang.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Cullen probably will have a standing contract for as long as he wants it, until his wheels fall off. Wouldn't be surprised if he joins the front office in some capacity after that (scout, coach, management, etc).

Sounds like his wife has much to say about his professional career (which I understand).

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Cullen probably will have a standing contract for as long as he wants it, until his wheels fall off. Wouldn't be surprised if he joins the front office in some capacity after that (scout, coach, management, etc).

Unless it's as a scout in the MN area, would he and his wife really want to stay in Pittsburgh? This year they at least put the kids in public school vs the private tutor(s) they had last time around, so maybe staying wouldn't be as onerous on the family this time around...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->