Post-Game Talk: Penguins Beat Islanders 4-2 | Cole's Not Here, Man

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
try to move Niskanen - yes, i know people will want the depth for the playoffs, maybe I'm nuts - and Kennedy in part of a deal that nets a true top-6 winger to pair with Sid and move Dupuis to Kennedy's spot on the 3rd line, imo.

But for who and why? And who gets moved on offense? Our 3rd/4th lines are awesome. Dupers deserves a spot on this roster, too. I just don't know where y ou move people. It's hard to tell at this point.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
This is obviously off-topic but I can't make topics, so.. what do you guys think are the odds of Letang and/or Neal making the Canadian Olympic team next year?

stefanh

Aug 13, 2006
Gothenburg
This is obviously off-topic but I can't make topics, so.. what do you guys think are the odds of Letang and/or Neal making the Canadian Olympic team next year?

Shouldnt Ray Ferraro do his predictions on TSN tonight?

I would say they both got a shot but Letang a better one than Neal. Canada will pick a bunchload of centers and play many of them out of position at wing. Neal should still be in the mix though

If you look at the D

Weber, Suter, Keith, Seabrook, Letang, Doughty, Pietrangelo would be the favourites for the defense right now. I would probably add Dan Girardi as number 8

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
A question to you folks...

If Boychuk pans out and stays on that 1b line. If our defense continues it's dominance this season (probably not as likely). If we do not have any injuries...

What the hell do we do at the deadline? :laugh:

I would love for the pens to add a good top 4 def but their so hard to get theirs not many out there.

Marcus Halberstram*

Shouldnt Ray Ferraro do his predictions on TSN tonight?

I would say they both got a shot but Letang a better one than Neal. Canada will pick a bunchload of centers and play many of them out of position at wing. Neal should still be in the mix though

If you look at the D

Weber, Suter, Keith, Seabrook, Letang, Doughty, Pietrangelo would be the favourites for the defense right now. I would probably add Dan Girardi as number 8

Suter would be great, save that he plays for the US. Letang will definitely be there IMO, and Neal should be under consideration.

stefanh

Aug 13, 2006
Gothenburg
Suter would be great, save that he plays for the US. Letang will definitely be there IMO, and Neal should be under consideration.

Ah brainfart by me. I guess the other rangers guys will be in the mix. Dion Phaneuf maybe as well. But I dont see Letang not making that team either.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

If Boychuk pans out and stays on that 1b line. If our defense continues it's dominance this season (probably not as likely). If we do not have any injuries...

So the question is if we do not need to make any moves should we make moves? The answer is no we should not. That said I have issues more with the defensive system which needs some adjustments than personnel

Marcus Halberstram*

Ah brainfart by me. I guess the other rangers guys will be in the mix. Dion Phaneuf maybe as well. But I dont see Letang not making that team either.

Girardi possibly, but McDonagh is also American. Phaneuf might be invited but I think there's easily 6-8 better options on D.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

You open up roster spots by getting rid of the dead weight in Tangradi & Lovejoy. Then you sign ops, trade for feasible depth players for both forward and defense.

This is the only issue, roster spots getting taken by players who don't deserve them.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
So the question is if we do not need to make any moves should we make moves? The answer is no we should not. That said I have issues more with the defensive system which needs some adjustments than personnel

I think this deadline will be either very interesting or very, very boring for the Pens. Either nothing/minor tweaks or Shero goes all in on a big name rental like he did with Hossa a few seasons back.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
^^ Icings, too. Really slows the game down. Attempted passes should not be icings. I respect hitting the red line. I also want to see auto-icing. Makes it go quicker.

I still don't understand why they don't go with the automatic icings. Honestly, what percentage of icing plays actually result in something exciting happen, where the forechecker beats the defenseman? Maybe 1%? The vast majority of icing plays end up being blown down, but the play doesn't stop until the defenseman takes those extra few seconds striding back to touch the puck.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
---Someone on the Isles board actually admitted that they enjoy seeing someone get injured "especially when its Crosby".

Yeah, Isles crowd was definitely classless last night. I can't imagine cheering an injury regardless of how minor it may be.

You can't let the individuals speak for a fan base. We have 10 Min come in here and admit no injury should be cheered. I'm guessing the solid Isles posters are the same way.

We have our fair share that would do the same thing. It's embarrassing for the entire fan base.

Like I said in your GDT, my enemy team is not the Pens, but the Rangers and I wouldn't cheer one of their guys going down. Cheering an injury is disgraceful and idiotic, but does not represent the fan base.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
Pens - Isles 4-2!

+ Penalty kill
+ MAF, Great game for him
+ Glass vs Martin
+ Sutter
+ Sid
+ Despres

- Isles fans. Sid gets a shot in the face, Isles fans chants "Crosby Sucks". Idiots.

Next game is against the Caps!

LGP!

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
But for who and why? And who gets moved on offense? Our 3rd/4th lines are awesome. Dupers deserves a spot on this roster, too. I just don't know where y ou move people. It's hard to tell at this point.

You asked if Geno's line stuck. So, in that case, if Boychuk - Geno - Neal makes everyone happy, I would leave the 4th line the same, make the 1st line Kunitz - Crosby - X and the 3rd line Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis.

I think Cooke and Sutter have actually been the most effective players on that line while Kennedy has been inconsistent with stretches of downright bad. On top of that, I honestly believe Dupuis would be an upgrade in "consistent" offense. TK also has absolutely no special teams time, the only person in the bottom-6 who can say that. He's not a banger, he's not a scorer, he's not a play maker.

Finally, with regards to TK - his contract is up this year. Yes, he'd still be an RFA, but if there's any hope of getting some value for him during the season, I'd like to try.

With regards to who we could acquire: well obviously if the main NHL roster pieces are Niskanen and TK, you're not getting someone tip-top, but I still think you can add a future or two to those two and get an actual top-6 winger that will better compliment a Kunitz and Crosby duo.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

The only way you trade Nisky is for an established winger who's under contract for a few years, or a Neal situation where he's young and still RFA.

A big HELL NO to trading Nisky for a rental We've got a guy who's been very good for over a year, has draft pedigree and is playing up to his potential, and a very capable #4 defenseman who is juuuuuust underwhelming enough to never command anything more than $3.5M a year. These are the guys you cling to unless you're floored by an offer.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The only way you trade Nisky is for an established winger who's under contract for a few years, or a Neal situation where he's young and still RFA.

A big HELL NO to trading Nisky for a rental We've got a guy who's been very good for over a year, has draft pedigree and is playing up to his potential, and a very capable #4 defenseman who is juuuuuust underwhelming enough to never command anything more than $3.5M a year. These are the guys you cling to unless you're floored by an offer.
For a normal rental I agree. Someone like Iginla or Perry, then I have him on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: