Post-Game Talk: Penguins Beat Islanders 4-2 | Cole's Not Here, Man

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
- Me missing the game.

= 4 more goals tonight. Shero's slowly removing his hand from that phone in his search for a top six winger.

+ NCIS Los Angeles was pretty good tonight.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Que :)? Why?
It is NAUGHTY!

tumblr_ljpne6mh0l1qgxjzro1_500.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To be honest, right now I don't even want Niskanen in the lineup when he is back. Not that he isn't better than some of the ones who play, but this right here should be what we are working on. Ie. to get Despres and Bortuzzo on to this team for good. They add just the qualities we've been short off (well, short of being PP QBs :) ), and once they iron out a few kinks, this is a naughty D that has insane value for money.

I think Despres, Letang and Martin are good enough for the PP point. I still remember that quick pass by Despres to Geno against the Rangers, it was like he was playing on this team for years and just knew where Geno was going to be by instinct.

I like Niskanen on this team, a lot actually, but if the defense is solid with Bortuzzo in and they're starting to play better defensively as a cohesive unit, then maybe he's a trade chip Shero should maybe think about using to get some help on Geno's line.

I still want to see Boychuk given a chance though, it's not often you get a kid that was drafted so high on waivers, this could be a "Grabner" type situation for this team if he starts to click.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Also, Cooke is so underrated offensively, he does things that makes me think "holy crap, if he wasn't so distracted being the pest on this team, he could do better than last year's #'s."

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Five minutes before he went after McDonald, whose wife then came in and fought his battle for him, Glass on the penalty kill lifted the stick of an Islander and cleared a fat rebound in front of an empty net to the other end of the ice in one motion, saving a tap in goal.

In other words, something Arron Asham would never do, because he had the defensive nous of a doorknob.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Five minutes before he went after McDonald, whose wife then came in and fought his battle for him, Glass on the penalty kill lifted the stick of an Islander and cleared a fat rebound in front of an empty net to the other end of the ice in one motion, saving a tap in goal.

In other words, something Arron Asham would never do, because he had the defensive nous of a doorknob.

It's almost as if Shero was trying to improve the team with his offseason signings. Crazy.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
If Orpik/Martin wasn't doing so damn awesome, I think Letang/Orpik and Despres/Martin pairings would be neat to try. A more stay at home presence for Letang and Despres.

But do not touch Orpik/Martin for ANY reason now. Orpik finally having a healthy offseason has done wonders for him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, Isles crowd was definitely classless last night. I can't imagine cheering an injury regardless of how minor it may be.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
---Someone on the Isles board actually admitted that they enjoy seeing someone get injured "especially when its Crosby".

You can't let the individuals speak for a fan base. We have 10 Min come in here and admit no injury should be cheered. I'm guessing the solid Isles posters are the same way.

We have our fair share that would do the same thing. It's embarrassing for the entire fan base.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
---Someone on the Isles board actually admitted that they enjoy seeing someone get injured "especially when its Crosby".

Well, unless someone actually seems really really injured, most of the time in European football the crowd will even chant "Leave him on the pitch, he is dead." Of course that has more to do with the excessive diving and pretending to be hurt (time is ticking down) in football, than pure hatred for opposing players. In most cases after a minute of rolling around, screaming like a little girl, they will jump up as if God miraculously cured their horrific injury. In hockey most of the players do not pretend (there is no use anyway, since the clock stops) and diving is not so prevalent...so it seems to me Isles fans should be very ashamed in this case. Still strange that Crosby seems to be hated everywhere he goes, especially when you take his character in account. He does not seem to be arrogant, fratboyish or sneaky...quite the contrary.

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
I know. I just don't get how anyone could possibly think like that. Makes me sad.

Anyway, the game was very entertaining. Pluses to Fleury, Despres and Sid - I really liked watching those guys last night.

Oh, and Grabner's speed is ridiculous.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Read the gameday thread.... 1st period malkin was flying, everyone saying he's going to get one soon.

After the barrage of penalties he did lose it a little, but I wouldnt say he was a minus.

+Fleury
+Bortuzzo
+Martin

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
Yeah, Isles crowd was definitely classless last night. I can't imagine cheering an injury regardless of how minor it may be.

That is too bad. I travel for living and have been to games in the NFL and NHL in every city but the Jets.

The wosrt fans I fould were Cleveland Browns, the next were the Flyers.

I find that most Hockey fans like meeting other teams fans. Plus most often show the most class.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
To be honest, right now I don't even want Niskanen in the lineup when he is back. Not that he isn't better than some of the ones who play, but this right here should be what we are working on. Ie. to get Despres and Bortuzzo on to this team for good. They add just the qualities we've been short off (well, short of being PP QBs :) ), and once they iron out a few kinks, this is a naughty D that has insane value for money.

Niskanen aside, really, and I agree. I love these pairings right now and their potential after a few more weeks together.

Our defense has went from borderline soft with Niskanen/Lovejoy to now having 5 out of 6 that like to engage physically.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Also, I thought Boychuk was fine. Unfortunately, he is still not rewarded for his offensive plays. Bortuzzo hit the iron after his nice feed and then he had a beautiful takeaway in front of Isles´ net which resulted to great Neal´s chance. But Boychuk remained as the only player with -1...

Malkin was off his game especially in the offensive zone, I just can´t help myself, but I don´t realize how someone can give him a "+" for this game. His one-timer is poor right now, nowhere close to the level from last season. To be completely fair, he had one of his better games defense-wise, but offensively he really sucked. He has to help Boychuk more, I actually think that kid is fine and is not the reason why that line is still struggling. Geno has to simplify his game, become more effective and they will be OK.

Last edited:

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
+++++ To all of the Pens HFBoards whipping boys!
Flower showed why he is an elite #1
DB calming down the troops when the momentum shifted, and got them back on their game.
As someone else mentioned, ever since Boychuk got here, not only has he been a decent fit with Geno/Neal, but Sutter seems to have picked up his game. Good move Ray!

+ Everyone who actually gave these 3 credit instead of the normal fire/trade em talk.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
DB calming down the troops when the momentum shifted, and got them back on their game.
As someone else mentioned, ever since Boychuk got here, not only has he been a decent fit with Geno/Neal, but Sutter seems to have picked up his game. Good move Ray!

+ Everyone who actually gave these 3 credit instead of the normal fire/trade em talk.

Fleury made some great saves but very acrobatic and also I found the D cleared the front of the net and lose pucks very well for him last night cause he did give out some juicy rebounds. Fleury has not been the problem in any of our loses this year and has played very well

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Fleury showed why he has elite #1 ability. One game never shows pure #1.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I also thought the refs took away from a great game. Both teams looked hungry. The Isles wanted to prove they could beat us and we looked hungry to fight back. The stupid penalties over and over again really took away from the hatred that I felt on the ice. It finally felt like the teams were getting some anger out and finishing big hits.

Refs stole that enjoyment from us.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I also thought the refs took away from a great game. Both teams looked hungry. The Isles wanted to prove they could beat us and we looked hungry to fight back. The stupid penalties over and over again really took away from the hatred that I felt on the ice. It finally felt like the teams were getting some anger out and finishing big hits.

Refs stole that enjoyment from us.

I understand the point, but to be honest refs only did their job. All of those clearly were the right calls, except of maybe one. Discipline, discipline, discipline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad