Post-Game Talk: Penguins Beat Islanders 4-2 | Cole's Not Here, Man

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I have been concerned in the early going with the amount of tick tacky roughing, boarding, whatever else calls. I get that they are trying to protect players, but some of these calls are brutal. We still want our game physical.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ Icings, too. Really slows the game down. Attempted passes should not be icings. I respect hitting the red line. I also want to see auto-icing. Makes it go quicker.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I understand the point, but to be honest refs only did their job. All of those clearly were the right calls, except of maybe one. Discipline, discipline, discipline.

Neal's shove roughing penalty was a joke. Also, Despres' second penalty was crap IMO too. The puck is still within reach of the dude and Despres pushes him against the boards. I don't like that being a penalty as a Dman growing up. I mean what are Despres' options there? Finish his check or let the dude skate around him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Not too much to complain about after this one. The lines seem to be clicking, top to bottom. I really like how the defense looks right now, as both Despres and Bortuzzo bring something. And I must say, Orpik-Martin are playing very well in tandem.

Brandon Sutter has played a LOT better since we acquired Zach Boychuk. It's not that he wasn't playing well before, but now he's way more noticeable and he's making much more of a Staal-like impact on a hockey game. Maybe it's just coincidence, but maybe he's now a lot more comfortable.

Fleury played well. If only I could trust him again.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I have been concerned in the early going with the amount of tick tacky roughing, boarding, whatever else calls. I get that they are trying to protect players, but some of these calls are brutal. We still want our game physical.

It's really gotten out of control. Apparently now they've even tightened up wish slashing calls where your don't have to "slash" a player near his hands or break his stick in order for it to be called. So basically you have to make sure your stick doesn't come anywhere near the other guy's body or else you're getting called for it. It really is just a matter of time until all physicality is removed from the game entirely.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Not too much to complain about after this one. The lines seem to be clicking, top to bottom. I really like how the defense looks right now, as both Despres and Bortuzzo bring something. And I must say, Orpik-Martin are playing very well in tandem.

Brandon Sutter has played a LOT better since we acquired Zach Boychuk. It's not that he wasn't playing well before, but now he's way more noticeable and he's making much more of a Staal-like impact on a hockey game. Maybe it's just coincidence, but maybe he's now a lot more comfortable.

Fleury played well. If only I could trust him again.

In regards to Sutter, I think it simply has more to do with him finally settling into his new role/environment rather than it being due to the arrival of Boychuk.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Neal's shove roughing penalty was a joke. Also, Despres' second penalty was crap IMO too. The puck is still within reach of the dude and Despres pushes him against the boards. I don't like that being a penalty as a Dman growing up. I mean what are Despres' options there? Finish his check or let the dude skate around him.

Those 2 and Kunitz's "roughing" or whatever they called his hip check are the ones that stand out to me as "what?"

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Those 2 and Kunitz's "roughing" or whatever they called his hip check are the ones that stand out to me as "what?"

The Kunitz hip check interference call was so bad, it's beyond decription. Basically, they're calling any reasonably 'big' hit as interference now, whether it actually is interference or not. It happened late last night in San Jose, as well. Andrew Desjardins clocked Jamal Mayers with a great shoulder to shoulder hit, and they called him for 5 minute match penalty for a head check. Which is beyond stupid.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Reasoner´s penalty which resulted into Neal´s goal was also at least debatable. Refs weren´t that bad on us in this one. And I am usually the one, who likes blaming them. I was furious after that Toronto game. But not the case here.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
In regards to Sutter, I think it simply has more to do with him finally settling into his new role/environment rather than it being due to the arrival of Boychuk.

I would agree and add that Cooke has played 3 improving games in a row, with last night being his most effective. I think that has to do with the whole 3rd line looking better.

I want more out of Sutter. I appreciate the little things, and don't expect him to fill the net. I just want a more noticeable on ice impact. That said, he needs time in many senses, so i will be patient.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Reasoner´s penalty which resulted into Neal´s goal was also at least debatable. Refs weren´t that bad on us in this one. And I am usually the one, who likes blaming them. I was furious after that Toronto game. But not the case here.

See I'm not saying the refs were one sided, just that they called a lot of stupid penalties and I've seen too much of it this year. I don't like the way the game is being led. This "new" boarding call is ridiculous. It's one thing if it is a "defenseless" player with his back turned. It's quite another when it is shoulder to shoulder and just gets rocked. Learn how to take a hit or don't play hockey.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I would agree and add that Cooke has played 3 improving games in a row, with last night being his most effective. I think that has to do with the whole 3rd line looking better.

I want more out of Sutter. I appreciate the little things, and don't expect him to fill the net. I just want a more noticeable on ice impact. That said, he needs time in many senses, so i will be patient.

I'm really not expecting anything major from the kid. I envision him being a career 3rd line center that can occasionally help out on the wing, is strong defensively and on the pk, and can maybe chip in with between 30-40 points a season.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Fleury showed why he has elite #1 ability. One game never shows pure #1.

Truth. He's not an an elite goalie until he's got a season's worth of numbers to prove it. That said, if he plays well, "well" might be good enough to compete for a Cup and that's what matters. See also: years of not-elite goalies competing for and sometimes winning Cups with Detroit, Tim Thomas, etc.

There are really only a very small handful of guys who you know are going to be statistically excellent every year, so it's not a requirement. Right now those guys are basically: Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, sometimes Luongo. Maybe Howard going forward. And even they have their bad streaks where they're playing like **** for a few games on end.

I just want Fleury to be a consistent, stable presence back there who doesn't look all world one game and like a seive the next. If he can be Top 10 statistically every year, that's more than good enough for me even if he's always closer to 10 than 1.

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The Kunitz hip check interference call was so bad, it's beyond decription. Basically, they're calling any reasonably 'big' hit as interference now, whether it actually is interference or not. It happened late last night in San Jose, as well. Andrew Desjardins clocked Jamal Mayers with a great shoulder to shoulder hit, and they called him for 5 minute match penalty for a head check. Which is beyond stupid.

Yup the reffing has been brutal, we saw a few in our game last night, still can't believe that interference call on Despres, just brutal considering the puck was right there:shakehead

The Mayers hit you just saw the refs were lost and had no clue what they were doing, they killed the momentum of a great hockey game

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
People also need to remember.. Sutter is still working with his linemates to get chemistry. The line juggling effected him because he needs time to work with Cooke/TK. Staal has years with those guys.

That's why I believe it's important to not juggle lines and let Sutter work with his group.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
People also need to remember.. Sutter is still working with his linemates to get chemistry. The line juggling effected him because he needs time to work with Cooke/TK. Staal has years with those guys.

That's why I believe it's important to not juggle lines and let Sutter work with his group.

Haven't seen your thoughts on Boychuk yet... Any thoughts on Boychuk? :)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I'm not convinced that line is going to work in the playoffs. It's a different dynamic. Staal was a monster for us along the boards. Cooke/TK just needed to keep the cycle going. Sutter doesn't have that same presence in terms of puck possession.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Haven't seen your thoughts on Boychuk yet... Any thoughts on Boychuk? :)

You can't teach speed. He is lightning quick and that NHL speed has helped that line out. I think I can see the frustrations of the Canes because his vision, grit, and scoring ability isn't top knotch, but I think a change of scenery could open it up.

I think he's #1 out of Tangradi, DJ, etc. for now.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
A question to you folks...

If Boychuk pans out and stays on that 1b line. If our defense continues it's dominance this season (probably not as likely). If we do not have any injuries...

What the hell do we do at the deadline? :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
A question to you folks...

If Boychuk pans out and stays on that 1b line. If our defense continues it's dominance this season (probably not as likely). If we do not have any injuries...

What the hell do we do at the deadline? :laugh:

try to move Niskanen - yes, i know people will want the depth for the playoffs, maybe I'm nuts - and Kennedy in part of a deal that nets a true top-6 winger to pair with Sid and move Dupuis to Kennedy's spot on the 3rd line, imo.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I'm not convinced that line is going to work in the playoffs. It's a different dynamic. Staal was a monster for us along the boards. Cooke/TK just needed to keep the cycle going. Sutter doesn't have that same presence in terms of puck possession.

Yeah, exactly. That´s the biggest difference between them.. Cycling abilities and offensive puck possession. But "Real Sutter" is slowly coming. He´s getting better by every game. We were under heavy pressure on Long Island and that´s the game where you can see how important Sutter is. Lots of precise defensive work and dangerous on counterattacks. That´s his game and he at least matches Staal´s level in these aspects.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Simon Despres is having a coming out party of sorts. He's an NHL defenseman.

This is the MAF that we see when he's pushed by a really good backup. Our goaltending tandem has me really excited.

I thought that Orpik-Martin pairing is so money right now. I hope they can both keep their play at this level. If they can, we're set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad