Post-Game Talk: Penguins Beat Canadiens 1-0

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
I wish someone would just ask Bylsma his reasoning for starting Glass over a guy like Vitale who is high energy and has actually scored some clutch goals, and can do everything Glass does, but better. I'd sincerely like to know whats going through his head. Does he even see what a liability Glass is on the ice?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I wish someone would just ask Bylsma his reasoning for starting Glass over a guy like Vitale who is high energy and has actually scored some clutch goals, and can do everything Glass does, but better. I'd sincerely like to know whats going through his head. Does he even see what a liability Glass is on the ice?

Penguins media has no balls, that's why.

Actually, they don't know much about hockey except for Colligan. They probably see Vitale and Glass as interchangeable.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I was trying to think the other day why they chose Glass over Asham for an extra 100k per year. Asham is the better enforcer and has more offensive upside. I guess because Glass can kill penalties?

Good question. Like someone mentioned... Glass probably scored on the Penguins sometime in recent history and that was enough to warrant him a "warrior," "denter," "north/south banger" "***** grinder" or whatever sound bite they use most often, these days to describe yet another plug blocking the progress of better players.

It wouldn't even matter so much if the fourth line didn't get seemingly almost as many shifts as the third line does, most nights. Though that's certainly just perception since the fourth line sticks out (in a bad way) whenever they are on the ice. It just seems like they are out there constantly.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Good question. Like someone mentioned... Glass probably scored on the Penguins sometime in recent history and that was enough to warrant him a "warrior," "denter," "north/south banger" "***** grinder" or whatever sound bite they use most often, these days to describe yet another plug blocking the progress of better players.

It wouldn't even matter so much if the fourth line didn't get seemingly almost as many shifts as the third line does, most nights. Though that's certainly just perception since the fourth line sticks out (in a bad way) whenever they are on the ice. It just seems like they are out there constantly.

He scored against the Pens when he was with Winnipeg. I think it was the Jets first home win.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Tanner Glass turnover from last night

glasssucks.gif

Painful to watch.

Looks like a mistake that you don't expect Pee Wees to make.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Kennedy-Vitale-Adams

Please Danny boy, please.:cry:

I'd swap Bennett for Morrow and TK with Cooke, but ya, those would be epic line combos. Perfect blend of grit, speed, skill, two-way ability, and experience. Quite frankly I don't see any place in the lineup for Jeffrey either once Geno is back.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I was trying to think the other day why they chose Glass over Asham for an extra 100k per year. Asham is the better enforcer and has more offensive upside. I guess because Glass can kill penalties?

Glass doesn't even play on the top PK unit. Right now I'd rate guys like Dupuis, Cooke, Adams, and Sutter ahead of him on the PK pecking order as far as forwards are concerned.

The guy is just flat out useless, plain and simple.

shizno*

Feb 28, 2012
Duno why you guys hate Glass. Pens got him because advanced statistics say if he is ever faced with a wide open net in game 5, he will actually get a goal this time.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So did Fleury not get a SO there? I was not credited with a SO in fantasy and I really don't know the rules there.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
Good game last night guys. As a Habs fan, here is my assessment of why you won:

+Crosby: NO Goalie in this league would have stopped that shot. He is unreal.
+Fleury: Had a massive impact on the result. Got a bit lucky with a couple of posts in his favor, but solid nonetheless. Voukoun wasnt as busy as MAF, but still very effective.

+The rest of the team played a good, no panic type of game despite being slightly outplayed for two periods.

Your 13 win streak is no fluke, so be proud. I am a little surprised by some of the negativity coming from your own board towards your team, as most teams in this league could only wish to have the players that many of you question.

I am not sure our team has any juice left for the Bruins tonight, as I believe that we gave it our all against you guys and still came up short.:(

This is the big thing I have seen change since the last habs game. There we would just outscore and the defence side was weak. There seemed panicked when needing to hold a one goal lead. Always felt they had to be above 2 goals before they could calm down. Now they are fine with the score at 0-0 or 0-1 and not panic as the skill (like sids goal) can win them the game.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I'm hoping they are playing glass because to sit him would lower his (already minimal) trade value.

April 4th things should hopefully make more sense

Wickedtune

Feb 1, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd swap Bennett for Morrow and TK with Cooke, but ya, those would be epic line combos. Perfect blend of grit, speed, skill, two-way ability, and experience. Quite frankly I don't see any place in the lineup for Jeffrey either once Geno is back.

I completely agree with this. At least until we see how Morrow looks with Malkin and Neal, if it doesn't work then flip flop Morrow and Bennett. I think a Bennett-Sutter-Kennedy third line could be a dangerous third line, scoring wise. And a Cooke-Vitale-Adams would be an awesome 4th line.

But Tanner Glass has to get his minutes.

And can someone please explain to me why Kennedy is on the 2nd PP instead of Bennett? That actually bothered me more than Bennett being demoted to the 4th line, to be honest.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At first, when I watched that clip I thought that was Jeffrey who screwed up. I was like, "Jesus, Jeffrey's as bad as Tanner Glass now?". Then I remembered they switched jersey numbers when Morrow came over and took #10.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
I have to agree with virtually everybody here, but just can't figure out what Bylsma hates about Vitale's game. He's quite fast (certainly compared to his linemates), actually has some offensive skill and hits/blocks shots like you'd expect from a 4th liner his size. He doesn't make too many glaring mistakes...so that can't be it. Of all the games I watched this season Glass didn't jump out in any of them, most of the times I just forget he is on the team. Vitale, with his decent face-off ability, should be a no-brainer when compared to Glass.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
I have to agree with virtually everybody here, but just can't figure out what Bylsma hates about Vitale's game. He's quite fast (certainly compared to his linemates), actually has some offensive skill and hits/blocks shots like you'd expect from a 4th liner his size. He doesn't make too many glaring mistakes...so that can't be it. Of all the games I watched this season Glass didn't jump out in any of them, most of the times I just forget he is on the team. Vitale, with his decent face-off ability, should be a no-brainer when compared to Glass.

Its a lose,lose situation they both suck, so you play the guy your paying more.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
Tanner Glass turnover from last night

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9Ca-bRYKbpw/UVJqw2FbB2I/AAAAAAACJPk/ultxlrJ2jC4/s534/glasssucks.gif[IMG]

Painful to watch.[/QUOTE]

I remember watching this and thinking "Did he just pass it to the Habs?".

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
I thought the Habs did a good job pressuring the Pens on the breakout. They pinched in well and closed off the boards quite effectively, making it hard for the Pens to even chip out the puck a lot of the time. Watching the Habs-Bruins game, it seems the same strategy is working quite well against the Bruins, too.

StoneColdFlower*

Its a lose,lose situation they both suck, so you play the guy your paying more.

And clearly there's a reason why the Penguins are paying you zilch. It's meaningless to say that Vitale sucks because he and the team are well aware of his strengths, his limitations, and his role. [More than] fulfilling this role doesn't make him as good a hockey player as most top-six hockey players, but the fact that his skillset and his talent upset limits him to that role doesn't mean that he sucks. By most accounts, Glass short in his role compare to Vitale or even Adams, so we can meaningfully that perhaps Glass sucks. We can also perhaps say that he is adequate for the role we need him to play.

Crosby would likely lose a fight to 80 - 90% of the league. You can't meaningfully say that he sucks due to his relative uselessness in a hockey fight because clearly he has better things to do than to hone his grappling and his fist-fighting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad