Post-Game Talk: Penguins Beat Canadiens 1-0

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Don't really like wasting Bennett on the 4th line though I think he did a solid job. If he's going to play 4th line then he should at least play the 2nd PP of Kennedy. Boggles the mind why Glass is in the lineup over Vitale, Glass is worse offensively than Adams (Which I didn't think was possible at this level), he hits but he's had about 1 memorable hit in his 34 games as a Pens and is OK on the PK at best.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's why I feel the need that if people are going to go after DB, they better apply the same amount of blame on Shero.

I get people's point that these vets were acquired to perhaps play certain roles and are simply being misused, but I don't buy it.

If we keyboard heroes can predict how these guys are going to be used, chances are Shero knows as well. And if that's the case, then playing these guys over some of the younger crop was pretty much the plan from the get go.

I'm pretty sure if the Morrow-Morrow trade doesn't work out, especially, that Shero will get the lion's share of the blame from fans.

Once again, Shero has acquired some pieces (Murray, Morrow, Eaton) that can really help this team in the playoffs, but ultimately it is up to DB to understand their strengths and weaknesses, along with the rest of his roster, and to use them intelligently. Not just throw them all on the ice together at the same time because they are grizzled vets.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Regarding Glass, it's pretty obvious DB holds him in high regard defensively. I don't know why or what he sees in him but case in point was last night, 1:40 left in a 1-0 hockey game, Glass was on the ice. Now i wouldn't put Vitale out there either but there was much better options on the bench imo.

It's a philosophical difference I have, but the way I see it, the last minute of a hockey game should be like the receiving team on an onside kick. You put your "hands" guys out there, not your blunt instruments.

Sid AND Geno need to be out there in the last minute. Puck on their stick with someone in their face, who has a better chance of clearing the zone or making a 5 foot pass to an open outlet? Sid/Geno, or Adams/Glass?

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
It's a philosophical difference I have, but the way I see it, the last minute of a hockey game should be like the receiving team on an onside kick. You put your "hands" guys out there, not your blunt instruments.

Sid AND Geno need to be out there in the last minute. Puck on their stick with someone in their face, who has a better chance of clearing the zone or making a 5 foot pass to an open outlet? Sid/Geno, or Adams/Glass?

I would rather have Adams out there over Malkin, but Sid over both of them.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Don't really like wasting Bennett on the 4th line though I think he did a solid job. If he's going to play 4th line then he should at least play the 2nd PP of Kennedy. Boggles the mind why Glass is in the lineup over Vitale, Glass is worse offensively than Adams (Which I didn't think was possible at this level), he hits but he's had about 1 memorable hit in his 34 games as a Pens and is OK on the PK at best.

Yeah keeping Bennett off the 2nd pp unit is seriously absurd.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Sid should be out there if they need to win a faceoff, Sid/Geno aren't gonna block a Chara slapshot in the final minute like Adams/Glass will.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I agree but I still have my concerns about that line being shut down in the playoffs. The upside though is that we are playing very solid defensively and getting great goaltending. We can win 1-0 and 2-1 games now so I'm less concerned about the 1st line than I was a few weeks ago.

Isn't this something we should be prepared for though? I mean, I'd love to see our first line contribute 3 more or goals per game just as much as anybody else, but unfortunately that just isn't realistic.

Like it or not there are gonna be games were the opposition does a fairly good job at shutting down our star players. It happens to every team from time to time. It's in situations like this where secondary scoring is absolutely pivotal and where you need your unsung heroes to step up and shine. In the event that Sid's line is shut down then we need Geno's line to step it up a notch. In the unlikely event that Geno's line is shut down as well then we need our other guys like Sutter, Cooke, TK, Bennett, etc. to step up and help out with the offensive duties. We'll need our defense and goaltending to do their respective jobs well, which is to keep pucks out of the net. We'll need our special teams to be at its absolute best.

Its times where we see our star players become invisible and our other players step up and shine that I find myself loving this team the most to be quite honest with you. It's times like that where a team's true character is put to the test and is defined.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Sid should be out there if they need to win a faceoff, Sid/Geno aren't gonna block a Chara slapshot in the final minute like Adams/Glass will.

I look at it more in terms of clearing the zone.

Adams' or Glass' first instinct is just firing the puck off the glass, either dropping into a point man's lap, or icing the puck.

I like the idea of Sid or Geno getting the puck, and dumping it out to center on a soft clear or making an outlet to someone who isn't under duress.

Like I said, it's just a philosophical difference.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
tyler-kennedy_original.jpg

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
We are never getting rid of Adams or Glass either. If they haven't been sat yet with how bad they look, they are never being sat. Those two could play till they are 40 and Bylsma would still never sit them.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It may be DB just believes in having a bigger body to bang pucks out when theres a car pile up just below the blue line.

But even then, i've seen Glass cough up a few or more trying to do such a thing.

It's the only logic i can see behind it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... Glass is hardly a big body. And despite the shiny hit totals he has from last season... as far as I can tell, his idea of finishing his checks is to sort of halfheartedly lean on the opposing player and then promptly fall over.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
We are never getting rid of Adams or Glass either. If they haven't been sat yet with how bad they look, they are never being sat. Those two could play till they are 40 and Bylsma would still never sit them.

I have no quarrel with Adams and don't get the hate really. He's a warrior who blocks shots and kills penalties very well. He may not be as good as he was but he is not a problem.

But I would take Vitale Rupp or ash every single day over glass.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Someone from here started a Glass thread on the Canucks' side of the fence.

The responses are pretty funny, and pretty much reflect the feelings we have. That Tanner Glass was consistently useless.

Apparently, Vancouver tried to re-sign him, but it looks like Shero offered more money. Have no clue what to think of that.

SteelFish87*

Let's not get carried away.

But yeah... getting there awfully quickly.

Multi-year contract, too. Awesome.

I was trying to think the other day why they chose Glass over Asham for an extra 100k per year. Asham is the better enforcer and has more offensive upside. I guess because Glass can kill penalties?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Tanner Glass turnover from last night

glasssucks.gif

Painful to watch.

Both Nisky and Adams are wide open in front of the net, so he decides to make a weak clear around the boards, right to an open Hab.

Zero hockey I.Q. and zero skill are a deadly comob.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->