Post-Game Talk: Penguins Beat Canadiens 1-0

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree with this whole-heartedly. I'm all for dressing the right type of players for the right type of situations/teams that you happen to be playing. I know DB loves the gritty vets, especially come playoff time. However those types of guys aren't necessarily going to get you the results you need against quick, resilient teams like the Habs. In my opinion we had enough grit already in the lineup to not have to dress a useless slug like Tanner Glass, whereas someone like Vitale would've really been of great use, especially when we were having trouble winning races to loose pucks. We also got our ***** handed to us in the faceoff circle last night.

Even aside from the fact that we were playing a fast team, I really just don't see the logic to begin with in benching Vitale, who in my opinion is the best overall player of our regular 4th liners.

I just wish anyone, anywhere, could explain to me why Glass deserves to play over Vitale? Having Vitale on the fourth line completely changes the dynamic of that line. He is an ace in the dot, he is a one man forecheck that gets to loose pucks consistently, his speed forces teams to reverse the flow, he makes plays (but has no one to finish), he gets in the goalies face and stirs **** up, routinely peels off the boards and because of his speed gets to the net and deflects pucks.... Oh and he scored two clutch goals during this streak.

Glass hits guys after they move the puck, doesn't have the foot speed to pressure the point, can't carry the puck worth ****, can't make plays, flubs golden opportunities, doesn't cycle all that well...

Seriously, someone tell me why he plays over Vitale. It's baffling to me.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I just wish anyone, anywhere, could explain to me why Glass deserves to play over Vitale? Having Vitale on the fourth line completely changes the dynamic of that line. He is an ace in the dot, he is a one man forecheck that gets to loose pucks consistently, his speed forces teams to reverse the flow, he makes plays (but has no one to finish), he gets in the goalies face and stirs **** up, routinely peels off the boards and because of his speed gets to the net and deflects pucks.... Oh and he scored two clutch goals during this streak.

Glass hits guys after they move the puck, doesn't have the foot speed to pressure the point, can't carry the puck worth ****, can't make plays, flubs golden opportunities, doesn't cycle all that well...

I wish I could, but unfortunately it makes zero sense to me as well. There's obviously something about him that DB sees that we don't which keeps him in the lineup over a much more talented and deserving player like Vitale.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Shero and DB keep inferring Morrow could be on the third line and Shero is basically admitting in interviews he is looking for top six help. Shero understands the value of a gritty guy like Morrow on the third line, so ya, I do believe he would give up J. Morrow for that luxury since he thinks his team is a cup contender. Morrow I think, is only a top six option to them if Shero can't find another winger before the deadline.

As for Murray, Shero gave up a second and a fifth, a high price back then, for Gill. He played in the bottom six, not the top four.

Also, this really doesn't answer my question about why you don't have a problem with Glass over Vitale.

I've repeated the same post TWICE in regards to that. I don't understand how many times I have to write that Glass over Vitale is "baffling"

But if we lose in the first round, or start faltering before the playoffs, I hardly think it'll be because Glass is playing 8 minutes over Vitale's 8 minutes.

My point is, during a 13 game winning streak, mostly without an MVP and a Norris Trophy candidate in your lineup, ISN'T the time to start revving up the anti-Bylsma engine. And it's not like they're winning fluke games or simply outscoring everyone. They're playing playoff type hockey, and it's encouraging.

Not saying that's what you were doing, just bringing up some of the others losing their ****.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
He played on the 4th line in 2009 playoffs.

Regardless, I think we can all collectively agree that his overall game has improved immensely since then. Granted he will never be the ideal first line winger that we've been begging for for years, but he has forged excellent chemistry with Sid (who I'm sure actually likes having Dupuis on his wing) and fulfills the requirements of his role well.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

Glass was our only FA signing over the offseason. Perhaps Bylsma is worried how bad it makes Shero look if he benches him? It was a very very bad signing.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've repeated the same post TWICE in regards to that. I don't understand how many times I have to write that Glass over Vitale is "baffling"

But if we lose in the first round, or start faltering before the playoffs, I hardly think it'll be because Glass is playing 8 minutes over Vitale's 8 minutes.

My point is, during a 13 game winning streak, mostly without an MVP and a Norris Trophy candidate in your lineup, ISN'T the time to start revving up the anti-Bylsma engine. And it's not like they're winning fluke games or simply outscoring everyone. They're playing playoff type hockey, and it's encouraging.

Not saying that's what you were doing, just bringing up some of the others losing their ****.

Settle down Lassie.

You said you don't see a reason to get too pissed over DB using Glass over Vitale, because it doesn't really affect the outcome of games anyway. I pointed out that Vitale had two huge goals during this streak and wondered how you could say those goals didn't affect the outcome of those games. You then never explained your position any further.

I just vehemently disagree that Glass over Vitale doesn't have an affect on games. Every little detail counts in the playoffs and a guy like Vitale is going to be much more of a difference maker than Glass.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
You said you don't see a reason to get too pissed over DB using Glass over Vitale, because it doesn't really affect the outcome of games anyway.

I pointed out that Vitale had two huge goals during this streak and wondered how you could say those goals didn't affect the outcome of those games.

I just vehemently disagree that Glass over Vitale doesn't have an affect on games. Every little detail counts in the playoffs and a guy like Vitale is going to be much more of a difference maker than Glass.

Again, not arguing the worth of one player over the other. It's a no brainer and it still puzzles me.

But like I said, if we start losing or get knocked out of the playoffs, I hardly think we'll look back and say "Man, Glass over Vitale really ****ed us"

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Again, not arguing the worth of one player over the other. It's a no brainer and it still puzzles me.

But like I said, if we start losing or get knocked out of the playoffs, I hardly think we'll look back and say "Man, Glass over Vitale really ****ed us"

If its another joke like the Philly series? Nope.

If its a seven game series decided by a bunch of one goal games? Yep.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Regardless, I think we can all collectively agree that his overall game has improved immensely since then. Granted he will never be the ideal first line winger that we've been begging for for years, but he has forged excellent chemistry with Sid (who I'm sure actually likes having Dupuis on his wing) and fulfills the requirements of his role well.

I agree but I still have my concerns about that line being shut down in the playoffs. The upside though is that we are playing very solid defensively and getting great goaltending. We can win 1-0 and 2-1 games now so I'm less concerned about the 1st line than I was a few weeks ago.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Shero and DB keep inferring Morrow could be on the third line and Shero is basically admitting in interviews he is looking for top six help. Shero understands the value of a gritty guy like Morrow on the third line, so ya, I do believe he would give up J. Morrow for that luxury since he thinks his team is a cup contender. Morrow I think, is only a top six option to them if Shero can't find another winger before the deadline.

As for Murray, Shero gave up a second and a fifth, a high price back then, for Gill. He played in the bottom six, not the top four.

Also, this really doesn't answer my question about why you don't have a problem with Glass over Vitale.

Or if he gets Iginla.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Ya, this is exactly the point I'm trying to get to...

It's why I feel the need that if people are going to go after DB, they better apply the same amount of blame on Shero.

I get people's point that these vets were acquired to perhaps play certain roles and are simply being misused, but I don't buy it.

If we keyboard heroes can predict how these guys are going to be used, chances are Shero knows as well. And if that's the case, then playing these guys over some of the younger crop was pretty much the plan from the get go.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Yeah, only problem is that I'll bet Feaster is asking TK, Pouliot and a 1st.

They'd never ask for Dupuis. Guy plays like he's 25, but I'm not sure how Calgary fans would react to giving up the face of their organization for a forward in his 30's.

Besides, a big part of the equation in wanting Iginla isn't to move Dupuis, but to put him down on the third line which starts the dominoes falling and EVERYONE finally being in their proper spot.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Yeah, only problem is that I'll bet Feaster is asking TK, Pouliot and a 1st.

Based on what's been speculated as the asking price it's more likely he's asking Pouliot + Harrington/Mattaa/other decent prospect + 1st. Everything I've read recently has said two prospects + 1st.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Well Bylsma has to do something more than lose in the first round this year. Injuries played a big role in the Pens not realizing a potential dynasty. But all things being equal, the Pens will never approach dynasty status with Bylsma as head coach. He simply isn't good enough. Last years playoff collapse proved that beyond any doubt.

I don't even know where to start with this. Dynasties died with the advent of the salary cap. You seriously need to manage your expectations.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Based on what's been speculated as the asking price it's more likely he's asking Pouliot + Harrington/Mattaa/other decent prospect + 1st. Everything I've read recently has said two prospects + 1st.

which is why this deal doesn't happen. I'm not sold on Iginla especially if the price reaches this ridiculous level.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Bit of a random question here but if the Pens have 26 wins for 52 points and 0 OTL points, why do they only have 24 ROW? I always assumed any regulation/OT win counted toward your ROW. Shootouts not included?

Edit: Nevermind, I answered my own question I think.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 10

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Regarding Glass, it's pretty obvious DB holds him in high regard defensively. I don't know why or what he sees in him but case in point was last night, 1:40 left in a 1-0 hockey game, Glass was on the ice. Now i wouldn't put Vitale out there either but there was much better options on the bench imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad