Pre-Game Talk: Penguins at Ottawa (Monday April 22, 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Does Ottawa employ an organist regularly? or do they just have a music guy?

Last night at the game it was a horn guy all night, which was slightly annoying. If we have a music guy, he really sucks..

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Whether Penguin fans thought it was accidental or not, I remember the hatred towards Steckel (or Hedman as you explained). I think the situations are sort of comparable. The whole Cooke/Karlsson thing will probably blow over the same way which was my initial point.

They are comparable, I think the main difference is the reaction of the organizations.

The Pens were pretty low key about the Steckel hit.

I know you're coming here with good intentions, so I don't want to really argue much, but that's just how I see it.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Whether Penguin fans thought it was accidental or not, I remember the hatred towards Steckel (or Hedman as you explained). I think the situations are sort of comparable. The whole Cooke/Karlsson thing will probably blow over the same way which was my initial point.

Actually, as another poster said, there really wasn't hatred like u say for Steckel at all. It was a bit of a fluke play in which Sid was in a sense to blame for what happened as he was busy watching the play.
And as far as comparable, there was only one owner complaining about their respective incident, and it wasn't Mario/Burkle. Now if you mean the cause of injuries were comparable as they were flukes, then yes.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
They are comparable, I think the main difference is the reaction of the organizations.

I know you're coming here with good intentions, so I don't want to really argue much, but that's just how I see it.

Fair enough, and I'd also argue most of the negative reaction from Ottawa is from Melnyk. I love him as an owner, but he can be embarrassing at times. He was the mastermind behind the legendary 'Spartan' appearance in our playoff series a few years back, and also the one backing this forensic investigation haha.. At least he's passionate.. right?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
If there is a fan base that can understand the Karlsson situation I think it would be Pittsburgh after the Steckel/Crosby incident. I'm fairly certain this fan base wanted Steckel dead for quite a while. Although you guys are over that by now I'm sure. I'm certain it took until at least the first rematch to begin that process.

Yeah but Crosby missed a hell of a lot more time than Karlsson

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013

Fans having hysterical melt downs is given!! I mean, we all know EVERYTHING!!!

However, the Penguin head honchos handled it with acceptance and class. Mario never went full on psychotic, sucking on a blanket in the corner for months on end. They kept on keeping on. Sidney also took it like a man. Eugene and Erik went off the rails. It was bizarre and yet I had to watch. The whole reaction was like seeing the horned woman at the county fair. Like "WTF" is that real???

Sidney, Mario, etc kept it cool And it was a far far more serious injury, obviously.

considering Erik is skating and has been, the nature of the injury certainly did not warrant the reaction. The term whiner is to mild for the reaction. It's actually disgusting.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Actually, as another poster said, there really wasn't hatred like u say for Steckel at all. It was a bit of a fluke play in which Sid was in a sense to blame for what happened as he was busy watching the play.
And as far as comparable, there was only one owner complaining about their respective incident, and it wasn't Mario/Burkle. Now if you mean the cause of injuries were comparable as they were flukes, then yes.

All I'm going to say is that I have a hard time believing that Pittsburgh would have nothing to say if Chris Neil came at Crosby the same way Cooke did to Karlsson and resulted in the same injury. I'm positive the reaction would be similar if not worst to what Ottawa's outcry was to Cooke.

Was there an exaggeration immediately? Yes, but any fan base and franchise is going to react that way (I know Montreal would for sure lol). I never thought Cooke purposely injured Karlsson, I just thought the incident was slightly reckless, that combined with the top performing player in the league at the time going down indefinitely is quite a hit to take. Most people around the team at the time thought Cooke just ended our playoff hopes because Karlsson was the reason we were winning games.

In the end, I'm not defending some of the extreme things said out of Ottawa since the incident, I'm just saying it would be coming from Pittsburgh as well if the situation were reversed. If anything this incident raised the rivalry between the teams a bit which is always a good thing as an NHL fan.

As for tomorrow, here's to a good game. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't expect anything to happen other than a challenge issued to Cooke, and I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens at all either because hyped games usually disappoint.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
All I'm going to say is that I have a hard time believing that Pittsburgh would have nothing to say if Chris Neil came at Crosby the same way Cooke did to Karlsson and resulted in the same injury. I'm positive the reaction would be similar if not worst to what Ottawa's outcry was to Cooke.

i see this sentiment expressed a lot in opposing GDTs - imagine the outrage of those bandwagon pens fans if their stars were hurt on accidental plays. and yet we've seen our stars both cheap-shotted time and time again and taken out by completely fluke plays. where is the mouth-frothing outrage? Bruins and Sens GDTs are far more vitriolic than anything you can find on this board, and they remain vitriolic months and months after the play. one only has to look at the Cooke thread on the Sens board. that said, fans will be fans. best of luck.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
My biggest hope is someone on the Sens loses their **** and gets suspended. What hypocrisy. Imagine if it comes out that Melnyk put a bounty on someone. The controversy, the **** storm.

As long as we escape without injury I hope Ottawa completely embarrasses themselves. More to add to that list.

Hell let's sacrifice Glass. Let someone take a run at him, put him out for the season. It comes out that Melnyk called for it, league freaks out, maybe they have to forfeit us a pick!

Cool story right?

I'm in for that. :laugh:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
i see this sentiment expressed a lot in opposing GDTs - imagine the outrage of those bandwagon pens fans if their stars were hurt on accidental plays. and yet we've seen our stars both cheap-shotted time and time again and taken out by completely fluke plays. where is the mouth-frothing outrage? Bruins and Sens GDTs are far more vitriolic than anything you can find on this board, and they remain vitriolic months and months after the play. one only has to look at the Cooke thread on the Sens board. that said, fans will be fans. best of luck.

I've seen Pittsburgh fans downplay the Crosby incident in this thread, but there was quite an outcry back then from fans for retribution. Whether you want to admit it or not it's archived on these boards and not hard to prove. Now it's been pointed out that the way the organizations responded were quite different. Be that as it may, let's not pretend Boston or Ottawa are the only organizations that make mistakes when Lemieux made quite possibly the most hypocritical comment out of any owner these past few years after the Isles/Penguins brawl when he criticized the Islanders organization while employing Matt Cooke during the height of his antics before he calmed down and changed his ways.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I've seen Pittsburgh fans downplay the Crosby incident in this thread, but there was quite an outcry back then from fans for retribution. Whether you want to admit it or not it's archived on these boards and not hard to prove. Now it's been pointed out that the way the organizations responded were quite different. Be that as it may, let's not pretend Boston or Ottawa are the only organizations that make mistakes when Lemieux made quite possibly the most hypocritical comment out of any owner these past few years after the Isles/Penguins brawl when he criticized the Islanders organization while employing Matt Cooke during the height of his antics before he calmed down and changed his ways.

If it's archived and not hard to prove, get on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fordy

May 28, 2008

Go ahead then.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just a reminder: We welcome all members of other forums on our board. We are one of the few. Let's cut some of the ********, though.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Lemieux made quite possibly the most hypocritical comment out of any owner these past few years after the Isles/Penguins brawl when he criticized the Islanders organization while employing Matt Cooke during the height of his antics before he calmed down and changed his ways.

i don't think you fully understood his comments. the view you've endorsed that employment of Cooke precludes Lemieux from expressing disdain for an all out brawl during a hockey game, seems to me to be illogical and misguided. Cooke has a history of committing cheap-shots. that's a fact. but, it does not appear to me to be a fact that should preclude someone from wanting to prevent all-out-brawls in hockey games.

In essence Lemieux stated that the Islanders game reflected poorly on the league because a events escalated to the point that hockey was not being played on the ice. if you think this is the most hypocritical statement by an owner in recent times, well then you might have some cotton in those ears.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
My biggest hope is someone on the Sens loses their **** and gets suspended. What hypocrisy. Imagine if it comes out that Melnyk put a bounty on someone. The controversy, the **** storm.

As long as we escape without injury I hope Ottawa completely embarrasses themselves. More to add to that list.

Hell let's sacrifice Glass. Let someone take a run at him, put him out for the season. It comes out that Melnyk called for it, league freaks out, maybe they have to forfeit us a pick!

Cool story right?

I'm in for that. :laugh:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
i don't think you fully understood his comments. the view you've endorsed that employment of Cooke precludes Lemieux from expressing disdain for an all out brawl during a hockey game, is illogical and misguided.

In essence Lemieux stated that the Islanders game reflected poorly on the league because a events escalated to the point that hockey was not being played on the ice. if you think this is the most hypocritical statement by an owner in recent times, well then you might have some cotton in those ears.

Does Cooke's previously recorded antics not reflect poorly on the league the same as an all out brawl would? You can't argue that Cooke was playing hockey on the ice during his recorded cheap shots yet the Islanders weren't during that brawl. If you do then that look's pretty hypocritical to me..

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If there is a fan base that can understand the Karlsson situation I think it would be Pittsburgh after the Steckel/Crosby incident. I'm fairly certain this fan base wanted Steckel dead for quite a while. Although you guys are over that by now I'm sure. I'm certain it took until at least the first rematch to begin that process.

I still do...hate the ****er...I don't see how that was "accidental" pretty sure he coulda seen him...but I don't want to get into that now :laugh:

You make a valid point though

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
Does Cooke's previously recorded antics not reflect poorly on the league the same as an all out brawl would? You can't argue that Cooke was playing hockey on the ice during his recorded cheap shots yet the Islanders weren't during that brawl. If you do then that look's pretty hypocritical to me..

why do you automatically assume that calling out the Islanders for that goonfest of a game is tacit approval of how Cooke played when he was taking runs at people and throwing out cheap hits? :help:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

as far as i can remember, most of Cooke's cheap-shots occurred during the course of so-called 'hockey plays' - an all-out Slap Shot like brawl isn't analogous. it appears you think they are, so i really can't help you there. furthermore Mario and the organization have criticized Cooke's past behavior in the form of an ultimatum that has been documented. i can't find the so-called hypocrisy. he disapproved of Cooke's past behavior and he disapproved of the Islanders turning a hockey game into a brawl. on the whole, the views you've expressed in this thread have lacked nuance. i wish i could tell you that i'm surprised.

this seems about as ridiculous as asking if Eugene Melnyk approves of Alfredsson's lack of class because he still employs the captain even after Alfredsson displayed the most 'classless' action out of any captain playing in a Stanley Cup Final these past few years.

Last edited:

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

So was Raffi Torres and a few other dirty players, I agree Cookie was a pretty rough hockey player, but you can't single him out for the Savard incident, Torres-Hossa was pretty disgusting too

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
Does Eugene Not employ Chris Neal??? Who concussed Boyle? Thank god Boyle was able to recover. But it hardly negates the injury. There is no way you can try to compare the ugly reaction out of Ottawa to the way the Penguin organization handles their business. Pens were solid professionals and Ottawa was as low in the gutter as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad