#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
watching Devils games got me like

BInrb00.gif

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Was at this game.... what a disaster. Haven't seen the replays since coming back but thoughts:

1) Moore and Merrill had a bad game, not the only ones, but particularly they were real bad.

On the 3rd goal, i think it was, I was absolutely livid at Moore. I don't know what angle the TV coverage had, but from where i was sitting....

Moore was already out of position, then he inexplicably went further out of position way up high near blueline, there was already a Devil covering a penguin and also Blandisi was there nearby...that meant there that meant 2-3 Devils on one penguin, and obviously that left a guy or two unmarked......and the Penguins just abused the other poor defender who had to cover the missed guys, was it Severson.

Merrill, well had tough luck with the fall, but he was just not doing well again tonight. Forgot the other reason i was pissed at him... oh yeah i remember he got beat in a footrace with some guy, almost led to another goal. Wasn't sure how he didn't win that footrace he had a step on the guy.

2) Kinkiad has to stop more of those goals. Just can't give up clean goals like, each goal, except for the deflection was a clean goal on Kinkaid. I'll give him a pass for the 1st PP goal because it was a PP and well, that happens, but he's gotta stop some of those other ones, the second goal he's gotta get some pads on that and at least give the team a chance..

3) Tootoo's fight explosion was great to see in the arena, didn't know what triggered it, seemed to come out of nowhere he went wild. Too(too) bad that led to the penalty though :(, and then everything fell apart pretty much after that.

The 5 on 3 ended the game, basically, they had a nice setup going but they were too eager to pull the trigger and kept firing the shot motion too early and hit the side net.

Horrible outing today with both the Devils loss and the RedBull loss earlier.. should've ****ing stayed home.

I'm so sorry that you and a couple of other people on this forum paid money to see the Devils have this utter disaster on us. You all deserve refunds.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I can't see Merrill being more than a bottom pairing guy. Hope I'm wrong but he does nothing offensively and is nothing great in his own end. Severson, I still have high hopes for but he I think he is overrated compared to what most of this teams fans think of him.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'm so sorry that you and a couple of other people on this forum paid money to see the Devils have this utter disaster on us. You all deserve refunds.

Definitely a real bummer. Didn't expect a "great game" necessarily (with Cory out, then i read that Yayo was out no idea why), but man this was brutal, plus my section had a lot of annoying Penguins fans, actually seemed like they had a good spread in the arena today, I don't recall them always being so populated in our arena.

If Kinkaid plays like this a lot, we need to find a new backup. I like the guy, but you gotta at least stop at least one or two of those goals he let in. You just have to come up big when the team needs you at some of these points. Even if the freaking D man wipes out at the blue line, or a guy gets a good high slot shot......... you still have to stop at least one of those goals!

If we see him more like this outing and less like the LA outing we gotta think about a backup upgrade in the future, unfortunately.

DSP did'nt look as good today, and it seemed Hynes was smoking something with Ruutu up with Travis..........and Kalinin on the the 4th line for quite some time seemed out of place. Ruutu didn't have an awful game but i was a bit shocked to say the least and I'm sure Bleed lost it today.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Was at this game.... what a disaster. Haven't seen the replays since coming back but thoughts:

1) Moore and Merrill had a bad game, not the only ones, but particularly they were real bad.

On the 3rd goal, i think it was, I was absolutely livid at Moore. I don't know what angle the TV coverage had, but from where i was sitting....

Moore was already out of position, then he inexplicably went further out of position way up high near blueline, there was already a Devil covering a penguin and also Blandisi was there nearby...that meant there that meant 2-3 Devils on one penguin, and obviously that left a guy or two unmarked......and the Penguins just abused the other poor defender who had to cover the missed guys, was it Severson.

Moore was horribly out of position and left Severson out to dry in front of the net. Kinkaid didn't have a chance.

To be fair, Moore was tackled on the play and no call came.

2) Kinkiad has to stop more of those goals. Just can't give up clean goals like, each goal, except for the deflection was a clean goal on Kinkaid. I'll give him a pass for the 1st PP goal because it was a PP and well, that happens, but he's gotta stop some of those other ones, the second goal he's gotta get some pads on that and at least give the team a chance..

He had to stop the Cullen goal. I don't know why Kennedy didn't try to help out there.

3) Tootoo's fight explosion was great to see in the arena, didn't know what triggered it, seemed to come out of nowhere he went wild. Too(too) bad that led to the penalty though :(, and then everything fell apart pretty much after that.

The 5 on 3 ended the game, basically, they had a nice setup going but they were too eager to pull the trigger and kept firing the shot motion too early and hit the side net.

Selfish ******* is a selfish *******. The team is completely outclassed and actually playing ok and takes a stupid selfish penalty. If I were the coach, he would be riding the pine the rest of the game and earn a seat in the Matteau suite for a week

On the first goal by the pens, when Palmieri didn't have a stick and the stick was swept away by a Penguin to the side wall. I thought that's a penalty.

While the injuries are tough to bear, Hynes did some weird **** with the lineup to start this game.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I saw the post game and add Hynes to the list of clowns for saying he didn't think Tootoo deserved the extra two minutes.

This is becoming a clown show with Tootoo and Ruutu being trot out there every night. And playing a defensive player with Zajac to shut down top lines. If all you wanna do is shut down the other team, play frickin Tootoo with Zajac. He was able to look halfway competent last year with Zajac. Is Ruutu even a good defensive player?

Maybe Tootoo will get his extension soon.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I saw the post game and add Hynes to the list of clowns for saying he didn't think Tootoo deserved the extra two minutes.

This is becoming a clown show with Tootoo and Ruutu being trot out there every night. And playing a defensive player with Zajac to shut down top lines. If all you wanna do is shut down the other team, play frickin Tootoo with Zajac. He was able to look halfway competent last year with Zajac. Is Ruutu even a good defensive player?

Maybe Tootoo will get his extension soon.

He did the right thing. He should not be throwing players under the bus in post game pressers.

That is clown **** Torts does.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Definitely a real bummer. Didn't expect a "great game" necessarily (with Cory out, then i read that Yayo was out no idea why), but man this was brutal, plus my section had a lot of annoying Penguins fans, actually seemed like they had a good spread in the arena today, I don't recall them always being so populated in our arena.

If Kinkaid plays like this a lot, we need to find a new backup. I like the guy, but you gotta at least stop at least one or two of those goals he let in. You just have to come up big when the team needs you at some of these points. Even if the freaking D man wipes out at the blue line, or a guy gets a good high slot shot......... you still have to stop at least one of those goals!

If we see him more like this outing and less like the LA outing we gotta think about a backup upgrade in the future, unfortunately.

DSP did'nt look as good today, and it seemed Hynes was smoking something with Ruutu up with Travis..........and Kalinin on the the 4th line for quite some time seemed out of place. Ruutu didn't have an awful game but i was a bit shocked to say the least and I'm sure Bleed lost it today.

Kinkaid is looking more like to me a serviceable or good BACKUP, but one of those guys that the wheels fall off if he plays more often. At least at the NHL level, he could probably be a decent AHL starter. But his AHL numbers weren't even all that impressive either, from what I recall.

Goal 2 was bad. I can't even remember what goal the Malkin one was. Great shooter but looks like it ticked his glove.

2 stoppable ones today, 2 stoppable ones against Nashville. .902 save percentage on the season. I've counted about 12 or 13 stoppable goals scored on him this season. It's unreasonable to expect him to not allow any stoppable goals, but that's a third or more of the goals he's allowing being bad. That's like Marty level of the last 4 years that he played, and that's exactly why he's got a very post 2010 Marty-like save percentage on the season.

That's not including some of the deflection goals he's allowed, that Cory stops once per game and we don't even notice it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He did the right thing. He should not be throwing players under the bus in post game pressers.

That is clown **** Torts does.

He said he didn't like Moore's penalty a couple games ago.

I'm not expecting him to go out of his way to bash the guy, but he went out of his way to say he didn't like the call today.

But he's already showing me with his actions that he likes Tootoo, just because how much we see him and how infrequent he's been a healthy scratch as opposed to Farnham or Matteau. And Matteau sucked, but he wasn't a liability.

Next time, he needs to do everyone a favor and get himself suspended or at least removed from the game. Tired of seeing him.

Shame on the staff for the rope he's gotten. Shame on Shero if he's brought back.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah... to be honest, I have been kinda out of it the last 5 games or so. I didn't even realize Cory was hurt. Still, it seems as if the team has gave up, no?

In a way. They have regressed and have started to play very sloppy hockey.

Lots of just dumb mistakes they weren't making earlier in the season (or at least not as frequently).

Some unfortunate breaks too.

Maybe give up is wrong and panic is the better word? They know the season is (well now it's almost totally has) slipped away and are in a mad dash to try and recover and it's creating costly mental errors.

Guys are trying to do to much and not playing a simple game. Mark of a desperate team that has taken on to much water.

Once the pressure comes off and they are officially out of it I imagine they will play a tighter game again.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He said he didn't like Moore's penalty a couple games ago.

I'm not expecting him to go out of his way to bash the guy, but he went out of his way to say he didn't like the call today.

But he's already showing me with his actions that he likes Tootoo, just because how much we see him and how infrequent he's been a healthy scratch as opposed to Farnham or Matteau. And Matteau sucked, but he wasn't a liability.

Next time, he needs to do everyone a favor and get himself suspended or at least removed from the game. Tired of seeing him.

Shame on the staff for the rope he's gotten. Shame on Shero if he's brought back.

RW. Matts didn't play RW and he doesn't like playing Farnham on that side.

It's possible he could be scratched if Stemps was still here along with DSP but we will never know now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Kinkaid flounders while Cory is out and finishes the season with a sub .900 save percentage, I wouldn't be surprised if we sign a UFA backup and throw him in Albany.

I think it also depends on if Shero thinks we'll be competing next year. With the lack of trust they've shown in Kinkaid already, I wouldn't rule out someone else being brought in if he completely grenades down the stretch here.

The only tricky part is Albany's goalie situation. If Appleby is in the AHL next year and Wedgewood too, they'd have to send one of them to the ECHL to put Kinkaid there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Next year's back up goalie situation is the least of our priorities or worries.

Just making an observation and something to look out for.

If Kinkaid flounders here, don't rule out that we don't go after another. Especially if they don't wanna have to start Cory close to 70 games again.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Just making an observation and something to look out for.

If Kinkaid flounders here, don't rule out that we don't go after another. Especially if they don't wanna have to start Cory close to 70 games again.

If Cory is healthy they will play him close to 70.

His injury isn't a wear and tear injury. He bent off the pipe in a nasty way. Just awful luck really.

Could see Appbly, Yann and maybe Wedge challenge Kinky for the spot though. I don't think we need to go outside the organization unless it's someone cheap or on a PTO

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Cory is healthy they will play him close to 70.

His injury isn't a wear and tear injury. He bent off the pipe in a nasty way. Just awful luck really.

Could see Appbly, Yann and maybe Wedge challenge Kinky for the spot though. I don't think we need to go outside the organization unless it's someone cheap or on a PTO

I'm just saying I don't wanna see him played 70 games in seasons where the playoffs are out of question by February, like the last two seasons.

I don't really wanna see Danis or Wedgewood though. Danis hasn't been NHL level in years, I'm also not convinced Wedgewood is any good at all. Even at the AHL level, he was putrid before this year.

Appleby could be decent, not sure he's close to NHL ready though.

I wouldn't mind seeing Yann Danis play a couple games this season if Cory is injured. Just to see what he looks like, probably won't be pretty though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm just saying I don't wanna see him played 70 games in seasons where the playoffs are out of question by February, like the last two seasons.

I don't really wanna see Danis or Wedgewood though. Danis hasn't been NHL level in years, I'm also not convinced Wedgewood is any good at all. Even at the AHL level, he was putrid before this year.

Appleby could be decent, not sure he's close to NHL ready though.

I wouldn't mind seeing Yann Danis play a couple games this season if Cory is injured. Just to see what he looks like, probably won't be pretty though.

Well you will get your wish. Cory is out for at least 3 weeks with his sprain.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
A really rough game, but I had a blast at the Rock tonight. All this time I've got and didn't know they had Magic Hat #9 (albeit in a can), but that itself made my night.

Stayed after and got autographs from Greene and Gio too which was nice

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
A really rough game, but I had a blast at the Rock tonight. All this time I've got and didn't know they had Magic Hat #9 (albeit in a can), but that itself made my night.

Stayed after and got autographs from Greene and Gio too which was nice

Glad you enjoyed your time at the Rock even though the game was obviously disappointing. The Rock really is an awesome arena. Very modern and not a bad seat in the house in my opinion.

lifeatzen

Jan 6, 2016
3 hours of flight time and 2 hours waiting in airports, we landed at 3pm, checked into our hotel by 4pm and headed to the game by 4:30. As Pens fans, it was an awesome night.

The Prudential Centre was great. The price of food was reasonable however the pop for $5.50 was crazy! But we had taken out American cash before we left so we figured we might as well just buy whatever we wanted regardless of cost. :popcorn:

No complaints other than the terribly behaved kids in front of us. Our seats were close up to the Devils' net so it was awesome seeing the goals right in front of us. We were surprised at how many Pens fans were there. First goal, across the ice, a large amount of fans stood up and cheered. We didn't feel so alone :)

All in all, money well spent. Thank you New Jersey for a wonderful quick getaway! I would absolutely consider going to another game there. However, your drivers are terrible and I'd never have the balls to get behind the wheel there! Thank god for our limo and shuttle drivers. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad