GDT: Penguins at Devils - Semi-matinee special 5 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
They had a good run until mid February. It's unfortunate but it is what it is.

Still proud of what the team has accomplished over the course of the season, regardless of what had occurred over the last couple of weeks. I just hope they can try and make this last month competitive. If I can make it out to any games to show that support, I'm going to do my best.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory has an MCL sprain and will be reevaluated in 2 weeks.

Just shut him down for the season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cory has an MCL sprain and will be reevaluated in 2 weeks.

Just shut him down for the season.

It almost seems like reevaluated is just a ******** line to avoid giving a public timeline on any injury. At least it's not a tear, something actually went right for a change in the last three weeks.

LMAO at NHL Network talking about what this loss did to the Devils playoff chances.

To be fair it was kind of a big swing to go from potentially three points down to seven points down (with games out of hand). Tonight was basically the last straw for any miracle playoff run case you could make.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol god this is scary

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 41s41 seconds ago
Hynes also thought Sestito squared up to fight and Tootoo was quicker off the draw.
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 2m2 minutes ago
Getting back to the game, Tootoo said Sestito asked him to fight before the draw and He was just quicker than Sestito after puck was dropped

If it was Severson doing this he'd be called out for what it was, a stupid, selfish act and not exactly the first time this month it's happened with this player. Tootoo was so anxious to jump the gun the refs had to seperate them BEFORE the faceoff.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cammy has been reevaluated for two months now lol.

The only substantial updates we've gotten on him are at one point he reaggravated the injury and it supposedly won't be something he needs surgery on according to Shero. That's all we know :P

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Well, we have no Cammalleri, Stempniak has been traded, and Cory is injured. Chances are it's going to be ugly.

Yeah... to be honest, I have been kinda out of it the last 5 games or so. I didn't even realize Cory was hurt. Still, it seems as if the team has gave up, no?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
lol god this is scary

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 41s41 seconds ago
Hynes also thought Sestito squared up to fight and Tootoo was quicker off the draw.
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 2m2 minutes ago
Getting back to the game, Tootoo said Sestito asked him to fight before the draw and He was just quicker than Sestito after puck was dropped

If it was Severson doing this he'd be called out for what it was, a stupid, selfish act and not exactly the first time this month it's happened with this player. Tootoo was so anxious to jump the gun the refs had to seperate them BEFORE the faceoff.

Yeah, I don't know why Tootoo gets so much of a free pass with this coaching staff. He better not be back next year. He's more of a liability than anything else. I'm at the point of wishing he'd never come here even though he had a good season (relative to what could be expected of him) last year. He's just souring any positive memories I'd have had of him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yeah... to be honest, I have been kinda out of it the last 5 games or so. I didn't even realize Cory was hurt. Still, it seems as if the team has gave up, no?

I don't know as if I'd say they've given up as much as reality has just set in. They overachieved for about 50 games, but as often happens with teams like that, the difference in talent and depth really starts to show down the stretch when other teams are ramping it up for the playoffs.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
6-1??? What happened to this team.

They lost Schneider, Stempniak, Cammalleri, and Josefson?

All 4 of those guys have proven critical to the success we had earlier one way or another. But any team is going to struggle missing an all-star goal tender and its top two scorers.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Severson and Merrill look like trash now, I echo the sentiment that we need more competent defensemen. Merrill in particular basically stopped developing.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Severson and Merrill look like trash now, I echo the sentiment that we need more competent defensemen. Merrill in particular basically stopped developing.

Merrill looked great before his injury. It's a shame he can't play consistently

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Severson and Merrill will be fine. 250 games for defensemen, guys. 250 games.

Not every defenseman automatically GETS 250 games though, especially ones drafted outside of the first round. Moore reached his 250th NHL game on his third team and he was a first-rounder.

It's concerning that Merrill's regressed and is such a negative offensively he has to be above average defensively to be a net neutral. And he hasn't been above average defensively in weeks at least. I'm not as worried about Severson cause he's younger and not nearly as bad as Merrill/Moore in the second half and Gelinas in general. My biggest worry with Severson is he's going to be this staff's Larsson to the previous staff.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Severson and Merrill will be fine. 250 games for defensemen, guys. 250 games.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about them yet. I mean, just look at Larsson. As much as people like to believe he was just an abused puppy under Pete, there were times he looked as lost as Merrill/Severson have at times this year. But he eventually started to figure it out as he closed in on 200 games.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Was at this game.... what a disaster. Haven't seen the replays since coming back but thoughts:

1) Moore and Merrill had a bad game, not the only ones, but particularly they were real bad.

On the 3rd goal, i think it was, I was absolutely livid at Moore. I don't know what angle the TV coverage had, but from where i was sitting....

Moore was already out of position, then he inexplicably went further out of position way up high near blueline, there was already a Devil covering a penguin and also Blandisi was there nearby...that meant there that meant 2-3 Devils on one penguin, and obviously that left a guy or two unmarked......and the Penguins just abused the other poor defender who had to cover the missed guys, was it Severson.

Merrill, well had tough luck with the fall, but he was just not doing well again tonight. Forgot the other reason i was pissed at him... oh yeah i remember he got beat in a footrace with some guy, almost led to another goal. Wasn't sure how he didn't win that footrace he had a step on the guy.

2) Kinkiad has to stop more of those goals. Just can't give up clean goals like, each goal, except for the deflection was a clean goal on Kinkaid. I'll give him a pass for the 1st PP goal because it was a PP and well, that happens, but he's gotta stop some of those other ones, the second goal he's gotta get some pads on that and at least give the team a chance..

3) Tootoo's fight explosion was great to see in the arena, didn't know what triggered it, seemed to come out of nowhere he went wild. Too(too) bad that led to the penalty though :(, and then everything fell apart pretty much after that.

The 5 on 3 ended the game, basically, they had a nice setup going but they were too eager to pull the trigger and kept firing the shot motion too early and hit the side net.

Horrible outing today with both the Devils loss and the RedBull loss earlier.. should've ****ing stayed home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad