Penguins Announce "Prospects Challenge" Roster

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I want to get it (if they finally fix their terrible production values) to see guys like Palve, Bellerive, Lafferty, Bjorkqvist, etc. That forward group is going to be so stacked and I hope Vellucci has a repeat of a Championship, WBS has been good for too long to suddenly turn to crap and never win a Calder yet.

Not to mention Almeida who scored a gazillion points in the Dub and if the speedster DiPauli can finally stay healthy...they'll be one pesky hockey team.

If they win alot Velluci won't have a long stay at Wilkes. He'll be gobbled up the first coaching vacancy that opens up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not to mention Almeida who scored a gazillion points in the Dub and if the speedster DiPauli can finally stay healthy...they'll be one pesky hockey team.

If they win alot Velluci won't have a long stay at Wilkes. He'll be gobbled up the first coaching vacancy that opens up.
I didn't know Almeida was turning pro, more incentive to get the AHL package.

I don't think Vellucci is going to go for an NHL coaching job, the guy has an insanely extensive history in upper management and seems destined to be a GM. He's likely being groomed as the guy to take over for JR. He's the HC and GM of WBS.

We've never had a HC in WBS that also had that dual role.

I was initially skeptical about the Pens doing the "proper" things with stuff like this, but I was surprised to see him given the GM duties of WBS, usually (traditionally) your Assistant GM gets that opportunity, Vellucci seems like he's got big plans with the Penguins in the near future. I would suspect he is named the Assistant GM (proper) after the season or near the end of it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I didn't know Almeida was turning pro, more incentive to get the AHL package.

I don't think Vellucci is going to go for an NHL coaching job, the guy has an insanely extensive history in upper management and seems destined to be a GM. He's likely being groomed as the guy to take over for JR. He's the HC and GM of WBS.

We've never had a HC in WBS that also had that dual role.

I would've said that as well but Velluci said his passion is coaching and wants to be an NHL coach.

Just guessing here but i believe he'll end up in the NHL pretty quickly...whether thats with PIT or another team, not sure.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think D'Orio made a case to start in WBS. Any chance Larmi gets sent down to Wheeling?

Minimal. D'Orio is going to have to make that case again and again all month long without faltering and hope Larmi doesn't play just decently for that to happen.

Actually - it might just be easier to say nobody has ever made a case for *anything* at Prospects Challenge other than to get a little more attention at Training Camp to see if they can do it again.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Glad to see Angello and Lafferty play well as they are more developed and should stick out in this tourney like they did.

Really hoping to see Lafferty take another step forward this season and put his name in the hat for third pivot.

Having him and TB be the answer down the middle of the bottom six in some combo, would be pretty huge for this team. Also would be nice to have a RH pivot for MS to deploy.

Lafferty’s speed and tenacious play will fit right in with the Pens system. He just needs to make a push while down in WBS and position himself well for when injuries hit. There aren’t any guys at pivot I can think of who should get the call before him, unless that Euro guy is a player.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would've said that as well but Velluci said his passion is coaching and wants to be an NHL coach.

Just guessing here but i believe he'll end up in the NHL pretty quickly...whether thats with PIT or another team, not sure.
He'll be a fine replacement when Sully is fired, on our way to the 6th cup in franchise history, maybe a three-peat. Get 6, 7, and 8.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I'd promote him to Assistant Coach if he just goes flat out monster-mode, but I would think he waits it out the whole season unless some team fires their coach and snags him up first.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Lafferty and Angelo with TB is a nice 4th next year. The Pens have 18 million in cap space and a modest increase in 2 million leave some nice room to sign a second pairing RH D for say 6 million and Chucky or equivalent top 6 winger for 5 million and Murray for 5 makes those two attractive. I do think JJ and possibly Horny will be moved in the off season

Reactions: wizmet12

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm still mad at the Pens for not streaming. To make matters worse, today's game was blacked out after telling fans to watch it on Buffalo's site.

Pittsburgh will also play games on Saturday, September 7 at 3:30 PM against the Devils and on Monday, September 9 at 12:30 PM versus the Sabres. Both of those games will be streamed at Official New Jersey Devils Website and Official Buffalo Sabres Website, respectively. Michelle Crechiolo will also be on hand to provide coverage of the Prospects Challenge on the @PensInsideScoop Twitter account, and on the Penguins' official website and app.
Penguins to Take Part in 2019 Prospects Challenge in Buffalo

f***ing amateur hour.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Well if ya never watch the full game just know, they played a bad 1st then were buzzing like crazy the whole 2nd period.
Velluci is the real deal.
His PP is really simple as well or rather "keep it simple stupid". Quick passes and pucks on goal. No fancy crap.
I will say tho that having P-O and Marino made things alot easier on Velluci. They were very good/steady.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Pretty much agree except I’d probably swap Poulin in for Legare. Angello was the best forward imo and Marino the best overall player. Although I don’t really put any stock into these. Camp/preseason is a better barometer.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Legare had a couple goals, but he skates and creates like ZAR.

Poulin was way more impressive.

Agreed. Like I said, hard to put stock into this “tournament”, but I thought them playing together on a line at times made it quite clear who the better player is at this point.

Loved the pick and where we got him, still do, but also still selling on the idea of him being a “blue-chipper” right now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agreed. Like I said, hard to put stock into this “tournament”, but I thought them playing together on a line at times made it quite clear who the better player is at this point.

Loved the pick and where we got him, still do, but also still selling on the idea of him being a “blue-chipper” right now.

Ya I respect Jesse’s opinion and he’s watched him way more than me I assume.

However, once I see skating deficiencies that concern me, I more or less write a guy off.

We’ll see how Legare looks in preseason action, but can’t say I’m too stoked. It was only less than two games I saw so, that is an important point.

How did you think Poulin's skating was? Is it something that will hinder him?

I was really happy with his skating.

I always look at straight line speed, edge work, agility, leverage and balance, and especially crossovers.

He’s not a great skater but he is a pretty strong skater it looks like so far. Have to watch him more and see.

I really loved his outside edge push on his crossovers. Lots of guys only generate power off the inside edge and it really hurts their skating, like Legare.

Poulin gets good bend and seems really comfortable on that outside edge and explodes off the toe like you want to see.

We’ll see how they both look in preseason, but Poulin looks to be a much better skater.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Agree with everything Jiggy said.
Poulin has good mechanics and looked fine out there.
Seen a Velluci interview post tourney where he said Legare has to work on his foot speed.
Here it is(2:20 in):

Also speaks on Moskal, P-O and others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad