Penguins Announce "Prospects Challenge" Roster

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by FreeBobbyFarnham, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Zero Pucks

Zero Pucks Size matters

I was never very high on Angello. But he's definitely growing on me.

2. SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE Eeny Meeny Miny Moe

People were giving me a hard time last Summer because I said we were underrating Angello. :p:

Seriously though, good to see how he's coming along. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing him in the preseason.

3. OGBobbyFarnham

OGBobbyFarnham Registered User

I had high hopes for Angello and still do.
    He had a decent year last year but just needs more consistency. Velluci is gonna get it out of him me thinks.

wizmet12 and SHOOTANDSCORE like this.
  4. wej20

wej20 Registered User

Yep. Him, Lafferty and Miletic all had good rookie AHL seasons (great in Lafferty's case but he's the oldest of the three). All three should be aiming to be WBS point leaders next season.

5. Peat

Peat Registered User

Pronman said that Lafferty and Poulin were the Pens names he heard most positive buzz about from scouts watching our tournament.

6. Zero Pucks

Zero Pucks Size matters

I'm still not expecting a whole lot out of him. But if we could get our own knockoff version of Adam Lowry out of him, I'd be very pleased with that.

SHOOTANDSCORE likes this.
  7. Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771 Go Knights Go

That's interesting to hear from Pronman because I recall him not being super high on Lafferty in the past. Lafferty is a really interesting player to watch next year, even beyond the fact that I played with and against him back in his Mid State Mustangs days. What exactly is he going to be? I think what kinda hurts him is that he was an off the board pick in 2014 that a lot of people chalked up to pandering to Pittsburgh amateur hockey, which basically made him a write off prospect.

I think he'll top out as a rich man's Joe Vitale, probably a borderline 3C/4C that's mostly just a gritty PKer. But is there something there beyond that? Lafferty's 49 points in 70 games as a rookie is better than anything Vitale ever did in the AHL, but Vitale's college career was basically Lafferty's college career but better.

8. Peat

Peat Registered User

Remember, that's Pronman reporting on info given to him, not his own impressions. But given he had Lafferty as legit/chance bubble in his write-up this summer I think that yes, he's higher on him than he was.

I think there's legit 3rd line upside there, but I don't know if he gets there. I do think there's probably not much point looking at an NCAA career spent at a bad side after he surprised the Pens coaches and made a big impression first season in the AHL.

9. FreeBobbyFarnham

FreeBobbyFarnham Registered User

Yeah, but Vitale was on a much better team than Lafferty. Brown was a dumpster fire of a team, it's hard to imagine how much worse they would've been without Lafferty.