Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson for Granlund, 1st rounder in 2024, Rutta, Petry, DeSmith (more in first post)

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If they'd be down with it I think this team has finally beat me down enough that I'd rather see the core move on and maybe have a chance with another organization to do something. That would have been unthinkable to me before. But this is all pointless and hopeless now and moving ahead and they still have some good game to give a team that takes winning seriously.
I don't think they'd be down with leaving tbh. I think it's more likely we see Sid retire at the end of his deal knowing this era/team are done, and Geno might throw his final year away to retire with him.

But yeah, the idea of watching these guys schlep around the ice in this loser of an organization, married to this loser coach, sucks way worse than seeing them potentially ask out and play for a team that'll give them one final, legit shot at a Cup.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Even if this is what the Penguins are going forward, I still 100% make this trade again because they're very likely getting more value for Karlsson when they trade him in 2-3 years than what they paid for him last off-season.

They got him for a single 1st that at worst will end up around 11th-14th overall while also dumping some awful contracts. Even if they just get a 1st and a prospect for him in 3 years, that's still a net win in value.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't hate the trade still, I still think this is a fantastic trade.

What I don't like is that they kept Letang and Sullivan. This will now look like a wasted trade because of this.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't hate the trade still, I still think this is a fantastic trade.

What I don't like is that they kept Letang and Sullivan. This will now look like a wasted trade because of this.
What's Letang have to do with it? They have barely played together and Letang has been pretty huge on the PK. He's embraced his new role and played better at it than I thought he would.

Sullivan I don't disagree with though. Keeping him is highly questionable.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
5 points in last 15 games. Ty Smith would do better than this 10m$ guy.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
….. I remember early in the season where everyone (watching) were really high on Karlsson (and Geno).

Now, not so much. Maybe Sullivan is getting them to their game? :)

Reactions: Andy99

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
i recently floated the idea of potentially trading EK, but no, the trade wasn't bad. The whole point of the trade was this team was trash without him, you may as well trade for one of the best Dmen of all time and see what happens.

He's not why we suck, and, as has been mentioned, we gave up NOTHING for him. You make that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday, even with hindsight

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
4 points in last 15 games. Ty Smith would do better than this 10m$ guy.

1703263288403.png

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
i recently floated the idea of potentially trading EK, but no, the trade wasn't bad. The whole point of the trade was this team was trash without him, you may as well trade for one of the best Dmen of all time and see what happens.

He's not why we suck, and, as has been mentioned, we gave up NOTHING for him. You make that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday, even with hindsight
He's not alone the reason why we suck, but I would expect last year's norris winner to improve the team. Not sure if he has even been more valuable than what mentally healthy Granlund, Rutta and Petry would add together on the table. Granny is beating him on scoring alone at this point. On top of that, we paid the 1st pick which might become very valuable if the team keeps sucking. I'm pretty sure most of people ranked him equal to Sid or even better after last season, but he has been miles behind Sid's level. While I personally didn't expect him to be better overall than Sid knowing his defensive flaws, at least I expected him to be right there with him offensively. Too bad that he's invisible offensively most of nights after a good start. If that's not disappointing, i don't know what is. I'm blaming Sullivan partly, but elite guys should not disappear like this, no matter who's behind the bench. His role is still #1d offensively. Not sure if he deserves it over Letang at this point. I really hope that he can turn it around and I have to eat my words, but right now he deserves critique.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He's not alone the reason why we suck, but I would expect last year's norris winner to improve the team. I'm pretty sure most of people ranked him equal to Sid or even better after last season, but he has been miles behind Sid's level. While I personally didn't expect him to be better overall than Sid knowing his defensive flaws, at least I expected him to be right there with him offensively. Too bad that he's invisible offensively most of nights after a good start. If that's not disappointing, i don't know what is. I'm blaming Sullivan partly, but elite guys should not disappear like this, no matter who's behind the bench. His role is still #1d offensively. Not sure if he deserves it over Letang at this point. I really hope that he can turn it around and I have to eat my words, but right now he deserves critique.

"We've watched him a fair amount through the process when we were acquiring him," Sullivan said. "And I think there are areas of his game where we can help him and challenge him to grow defensively."

1703266184908.png

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He's not alone the reason why we suck, but I would expect last year's norris winner to improve the team. Not sure if he has even been more valuable than what mentally healthy Granlund, Rutta and Petry would add together on the table. Granny is beating him on scoring alone at this point. On top of that, we paid the 1st pick which might become very valuable if the team keeps sucking. I'm pretty sure most of people ranked him equal to Sid or even better after last season, but he has been miles behind Sid's level. While I personally didn't expect him to be better overall than Sid knowing his defensive flaws, at least I expected him to be right there with him offensively. Too bad that he's invisible offensively most of nights after a good start. If that's not disappointing, i don't know what is. I'm blaming Sullivan partly, but elite guys should not disappear like this, no matter who's behind the bench. His role is still #1d offensively. Not sure if he deserves it over Letang at this point. I really hope that he can turn it around and I have to eat my words, but right now he deserves critique.
i'm not gonna address the Granlund/Rutta/Petry conversation because that seems clinically insane to me, especially given how each performed here last year, but it seems unquestionable to me that we're better in a lot of areas this year.

I know people don't want to hear it, but our underlying numbers are still elite. We just had inconsistent goaltending at the start of the year, our PP went to hell when the goaltending got right, and now we're literally a two-player offence at 5-on-5.

All of those things, btw, are things that existed pre-Karlsson, which COULD lead someone to believe that maybe it's not necessarily a personnel issue.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
i'm not gonna address the Granlund/Rutta/Petry conversation because that seems clinically insane to me, especially given how each performed here last year, but it seems unquestionable to me that we're better in a lot of areas this year.

I know people don't want to hear it, but our underlying numbers are still elite. We just had inconsistent goaltending at the start of the year, our PP went to hell when the goaltending got right, and now we're literally a two-player offence at 5-on-5.

All of those things, btw, are things that existed pre-Karlsson, which COULD lead someone to believe that maybe it's not necessarily a personnel issue.

I wouldn't say they are elite. They are a top ten team in the league, but they've been falling off the last few weeks in terms of 5v5 numbers.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I wouldn't say they are elite. They are a top ten team in the league, but they've been falling off the last few weeks in terms of 5v5 numbers.
top-10 to me is elite, but even if you want to go by your definition (which is fine with me), the numbers still suggest they should be higher in the standings than wherever they are.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the team still needs a center. If Sid goes down or Geno, we have Lars Eller at 2c.
Lindholm is available….that’s who Dubas should be going after…if we want to avoid paying a first, maybe we swap him and Jake…

Malkin-Sid-Rust
Smith-Lindholm-Rakell/Puusty
DOC-Eller-Puusty/Rakell
whatever

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
The only

ONLY

Thing that sucks about it, is the first pick being involved

But... We wouldn't draft well with it anyway

If youre disappointed in any other aspect of the trade, please seek psychological counseling. There is help out there for you.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I am not seeing lanes where an EK one man breakout can really benefit us. Or where it is even available. EK is playing fine, but he is not a good powerplay player and we only have one line who can score. There aren't many goals to go around.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I am not seeing lanes where an EK one man breakout can really benefit us. Or where it is even available. EK is playing fine, but he is not a good powerplay player and we only have one line who can score. There aren't many goals to go around.
The 2nd line scored two goals in the game on Monday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad