Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson for Granlund, 1st rounder in 2024, Rutta, Petry, DeSmith (more in first post)

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
1) the team was already flawed via cap
2) EK is electric

Therefore, the team is no worse off... Maybe better

What is there to complain about?

It'll be the prior dumb NTC contracts that dick this team harder than EK will

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Fordy

May 28, 2008
people have been saying for literally no reason that “the pens don’t need more offense” since 2009. it’s always been wrong lol. all of their success has followed adding offensive game breakers. if you’re saying this you clearly don’t watch the team. they missed the playoffs because they couldn’t score!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
UGw79dr.gif

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
people have been saying for literally no reason that “the pens don’t need more offense” since 2009. it’s always been wrong lol. all of their success has followed adding offensive game breakers. if you’re saying this you clearly don’t watch the team. they missed the playoffs because they couldn’t score!
They missed the playoffs because they were the definition of mediocre. Middle of the pack in GF and GA. Both things needed to be addressed.

Who knows how things will play out, but I'd argue both things were addressed.

Reactions: Peat

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
A perfect team is one that wins every game 1-0, and doesn't score until the 59th minute.

Mistake-Free Defensively Dominant Hockey, Bay-Bay.

(I'm not being serious...)

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Probably the best trade since Kessel.

Might be better in a vacuum tbh. Won't have the same results given it's a weaker team, but we gave up less for a better player (but older and on a worse contract). Finding the chemistry that sends things supernova.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I just realized the condition lol. I knew it was top 10 protected, but like always if it's not for that draft it's for the following year. In this case, it's 11 to 32 or no 1st round pick lol

Tank baby!!!! Makes the decision even easier if you ask me

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I just realized the condition lol. I knew it was top 10 protected, but like always if it's not for that draft it's for the following year. In this case, it's 11 to 32 or no 1st round pick lol

Tank baby!!!! Makes the decision even easier if you ask me
Might need clarification on that, I'm pretty sure if it's not top 10 this year it goes to 2025. CapFriendly even has our 2025 with the * stating that.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Might need clarification on that, I'm pretty sure if it's not top 10 this year it goes to 2025. CapFriendly even has our 2025 with the * stating that.
Every other site doesn't have it though, including Pro sports transaction. Even the big sports news that broke the trade don't say anything regarding the 2025 pick.

Indeed we need Dubas to answer us

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Every other site doesn't have it though, including Pro sports transaction. Even the big sports news that broke the trade don't say anything regarding the 2025 pick.

Indeed we need Dubas to answer us
Capfriendly is usually pretty accurate. Go to the Penguins page where it shows available draft picks and hover over our 2025 1st. That's what I'm going off of. And that reinforces what I thought I knew from the talks during the trade.

That said, it would be an absolutely monstrous benefit if you were right. If that is the case, I'm not sure there's even a reason to bother canning Sullivan this year. We should be in the trade Jake, Rakell, and POJ mode to increase draft capital and cap space for next year.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Capfriendly is usually pretty accurate. Go to the Penguins page where it shows available draft picks and hover over our 2025 1st. That's what I'm going off of. And that reinforces what I thought I knew from the talks during the trade.

That said, it would be an absolutely monstrous benefit if you were right. If that is the case, I'm not sure there's even a reason to bother canning Sullivan this year. We should be in the trade Jake, Rakell, and POJ mode to increase draft capital and cap space for next year.
Sign me up, Smith as well I'd consider moving. Sometimes teams prefer a guy with still 1 season of contract at reasonable hit.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sign me up, Smith as well I'd consider moving. Sometimes teams prefer a guy with still 1 season of contract at reasonable hit.
I would do one of Smith or POJ unless they feel Smith will never be an NHL dman here. While I really like Shea and Ludvig, I'm not sure I want Rudwedel and then...?...as the next in line.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It seems highly unlikely to me that the first rounder would simply be excised from the trade rather than pushed to 2025...but if Dubas actually got Grier to agree to those terms, then either he's a genius or Grier is a fool.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If it makes them a better watch this year, I guess it's a win in the near term. Kicking futures to the curb for a team that is a year older after missing the playoffs is inconceivable. INCONCEIVABLE
Zonk

I don't post here for the likes, I post to put into perspective how overrated GM's/Front office staff are by fans and media. All it would take is basic knowledge with a sport and some common sense.

"DUBAS is a genius" No he's not, he knew somebody and advanced. The trade for EK was lazy and shortsighted, which has been the status quo for this franchise since 18.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Zonk

I don't post here for the likes, I post to put into perspective how overrated GM's/Front office staff are by fans and media. All it would take is basic knowledge with a sport and some common sense.

"DUBAS is a genius" No he's not, he knew somebody and advanced. The trade for EK was lazy and shortsighted, which has been the status quo for this franchise since 18.
Interesting viewpoint. Please elaborate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad