Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson for Granlund, 1st rounder in 2024, Rutta, Petry, DeSmith (more in first post)

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Ek, and the state of this team currently is a result of coaching, and due to dubas’ unwillingness to recognize this, a management issue.

on paper this should be a good team. But, you have Sullivan trying to ”improve” a 31 year old, now former, 100 plus point defenders game instead of adjusting his system. He has “core players” ie malkin slowing down with age and is not adapting his strategies to this. He is forcing players out of positions of strength. Acari is a good example, at wing a very doo “poor man’s” tanev, at center invisible. poj and ludvig have great metrics playing together, scratch poj for shea or rug who are barely nhl players. Rackell looks lost? Keep shoving him with Geno and smith when that line doesn’t work… ect ect.
I have no problem with the trade. I have a problems with the player management of the roster moves that were made

BobCole

May 21, 2014
With Pitts and Erik struggling and Granlund having a resurgence in SJ, how tilted is this deal for the sharks?
I don't think the Pens would undo this trade if they could. They offloaded several spare parts in the trade that aren't missed.

Karlsson has been fine. Nobody expected him to match his point totals from last season. At 5-on-5, he's been very good.

In fact, the Pens are one of the better teams in the league 5-on-5 this season.

The team has struggled on the PP, with Karlsson playing a role in that.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I think the only thing SJS win is the draft pick. But that was looking better for them earlier on.

Pens might still rally enough to make it a shittier pick

Otherwise, i would have to think both teams are happy with the deal so far

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Someone has to score and Gran is the guy right now for the Sharks. Those guys typically go to good teams and look like garbage. Much like when the Pens traded for Ponikarovsky from Toronto in 2010.
I mean rico fata scored 20 goals once upon a time with enough ice time.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Penguins still win the trade.

Granlund was absolute trash here. Great that he's doing well in San Jose. We are happy for him. He could score 200pts in SJ and I would not balk at the trade one bit.
I don't understand your logic. Maybe the problem is the HC, not the players. They latched their hitch to Sully, destroyed assets and probably damned the franchise for 15 seasons. Well played

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think sometimes people forget that 60points is really good for a defenseman. There were 12 defensemen that cracked 60 points last year (of which he was obviously 1). If they had a functioning PP, he'd probably be on pace for 70-80. There were only 7 other defensemen in the league that had 70+ and none reached 80.

Also worth noting, Letang is on pace for 56 without much PP time to speak of. Only a couple of teams have 2 defensemen on that type of pace and some of the teams that do have them on the same pairing. It's a luxury for the Pens to have Letang and Karlsson holding down their own pairings like they are.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I don't understand your logic. Maybe the problem is the HC, not the players. They latched their hitch to Sully, destroyed assets and probably damned the franchise for 15 seasons. Well played
You need Anger Management & Mental Health Intervention

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
let's play a game of "which is more likely"

A. FO realizes Granlund is a super good, important player and only Sullivan is standing in the way, thus they fire Sullivan and Granlund goes on to achieve NHL greatness surpassing our wildest imagination.

B. Granlund and his cap hit are moved out in a deal that brings back 100+ pt Erik Karlsson and Sullivan remains coach.

Not saying Sullivan isn't a problem, he 100% is, but let's be realistic for a moment - Granlund is hardly the player that's going to tip anything against Sullivan. He was a dud here. He was moved. That's life. I still do that trade 10/10 times.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If they had a functioning PP,
I think this is the biggest issue. Not only is the PP no better with EK, it’s worse. Substantially worse. I’d wager that’s what most people are frustrated most with Karlsson.

His great 5 on 5 offense cancels his bad 5 on 5 defense, but also being a negative addition to the PP just seems to tip the scale to frustrating.

Although, he’s never been a great PP player (not as bad as we’ve seen so far hopefully), so that is probably more a of an expectation issue. It would appear the coaches and staff had the same expectations.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The Sharks have 24 points.

Bad teams score goals too, therefore players on bad teams get points. Granlund would make this team worse anywhere on the 2nd or 3rd lines. I saw enough.

I wish Karlsson was a competent PPQB. He has been a massive letdown there. But 5-on-5 he has been elite.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think this is the biggest issue. Not only is the PP no better with EK, it’s worse. Substantially worse. I’d wager that’s what most people are frustrated most with Karlsson.

His great 5 on 5 offense cancels his bad 5 on 5 defense, but also being a negative addition to the PP just seems to tip the scale to frustrating.

Although, he’s never been a great PP player (not as bad as we’ve seen so far hopefully), so that is probably more a of an expectation issue. It would appear the coaches and staff had the same expectations.
I put the blame of the PP on the coaching, though, not Karlsson or any other individual player.

They're old, but given how good they still are at 5-on-5, there is too much talent on the PP to not be at least mediocre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad