Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson for Granlund, 1st rounder in 2024, Rutta, Petry, DeSmith (more in first post)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Right now we'd be picking 12th overall. At 12th overall you don't have especially great odds to move up in the draft, so we'd most likely be losing the lottery and handing SJ a 12th overall pick as of right now.

I think the most tragic scenario for the Sharks would be the Pens tanking this year, winning the lottery, keeping the pick, and then firing Sullivan + making good off season moves and coming back and doing far better in the standings next year.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
as funny as us getting a high pick rebounding and screwing over SJ, I'd far rather we sort this mess out and actually make the playoffs and make a little bit of noise once we are there.

It's a proven formula, fire the coach, win the cup. Dubas you need to be a student of history here...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Right now we'd be picking 12th overall. At 12th overall you don't have especially great odds to move up in the draft, so we'd most likely be losing the lottery and handing SJ a 12th overall pick as of right now.

I think the most tragic scenario for the Sharks would be the Pens tanking this year, winning the lottery, keeping the pick, and then firing Sullivan + making good off season moves and coming back and doing far better in the standings next year.
that's the way I'm kind of looking at it.
as for the second part even top picks takes a year or so to get going. so with all our core players getting old and on the downhill slide. all the no trade con. ,our pipeline empty, few assets to move, plus not a lot of cap room. us being better next year, doesn't have much of a chance. but then with this team, stranger things have happened.

Reactions: Pancakes

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Sid should pull a Ray Bourque. If he ever wants to play another play off game
Weird comparison. Bourque was not able to get his team to the finish line so he jumped ship to ride the coattails of better players.

Sid has already accomplished everything a player can. I think he’d just retire if he becomes that miserable playing on a crappy team rather than giving up the prestige of being a one franchise guy.

Also, the team will nuke any and everyone to appease Sid if if came down to it. We’re a coaching change away from possibly still being at least a playoff team.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I’d be kind of stunned if Sid or Geno played anywhere else tbh. Think both would just retire than go somewhere else.

Letang I can see playing elsewhere. Especially since he has so many more years on his contract.
didn't he and Gino just sign 4 year deals?

At one time I would have thought Sid would finish a Penguin. But the implosion that's coming and all the game he obviously has left.
Let Sully stay another 5 years , but Sid should move on if he wants to play another play off game.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sid ain’t playing anywhere else…FSG will see to that even if it means signing Jake to some ridiculous contract, which is gonna happen lol

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know that Sid's gonna want to keep playing on a team that may have missed the playoffs three times in a row by the time his new deal has to be signed. I have always kinda figured Geno and Letang wouldn't finish their deals tbh. Wouldn't be surprised, or angry, for Geno to call it a career alongside Sid in the summer of 2025. Don't know where Letang would go or Karlsson tbh.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I see sid just retiring before re-signing here

And just not signing anywhere even though he could hobble around the league another five years

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I see sid just retiring before re-signing here

And just not signing anywhere even though he could hobble around the league another five years
I think Sid could definitely be effective until he was 40+. I just don't think a psychotic creature of habit like Sid would uproot everything and move to/play for a different team for the final few years of his deal career (edit). If he retires, it's because he knows the team's f***ing cooked (it is) and he isn't interested in the grueling NHL season for zero chance to compete anymore imo.

I think it's like 50-50, maybe worse, that he re-signs for a couple years once his deal is up. Could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised. He definitely won't play for another team though, I'm as certain of that as anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think Sid could definitely be effective until he was 40+. I just don't think a psychotic creature of habit like Sid would uproot everything and move to/play for a different team for the final few years of his deal career (edit). If he retires, it's because he knows the team's f***ing cooked (it is) and he isn't interested in the grueling NHL season for zero chance to compete anymore imo.

I think it's like 50-50, maybe worse, that he re-signs for a couple years once his deal is up. Could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised. He definitely won't play for another team though, I'm as certain of that as anything.
If things keep going the way they are I'd have to think that Sid and Geno will seriously consider retiring at the end of their contracts. I don't see them grinding out regular seasons with no chance of making the playoffs and I don't see them wanting to play elsewhere either.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
If things keep going the way they are I'd have to think that Sid and Geno will seriously consider retiring at the end of their contracts. I don't see them grinding out regular seasons with no chance of making the playoffs and I don't see them wanting to play elsewhere either.
I’m 32 years old. Sid and Geno provided me unreal memories throughout all of HS, college, grad school, marriage and now even parenthood. They’ll forever and ever be my favorite players to don that logo. With that said….

Sid and Geno retiring at the end of their contracts would probably be the best thing for this organization. We can fully rip off the band aid and go into a proper rebuild. I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking this.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Thats would mean Malkin "grinding out this regular season" plus three more.

I dont think Sid and the boys (fans, media, or Dubas) even entertained the notion that this team was sinking like a stone.
I dont think Sid will stick around to play for the Pittsburg Sabres. If play offs are not option (and they arent) in Steeltown .....Sid still has plenty of game. He will be open to playing elsewhere.

Aves
Knights
Panthers

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I’m 32 years old. Sid and Geno provided me unreal memories throughout all of HS, college, grad school, marriage and now even parenthood. They’ll forever and ever be my favorite players to don that logo. With that said….

Sid and Geno retiring at the end of their contracts would probably be the best thing for this organization. We can fully rip off the band aid and go into a proper rebuild. I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking this.
Malkin would be going into his age 39 season when Sid's contract comes up. Sid would be going into an age 38 season.

Even if they don't retire I'm not sure it even matters at that point. Chances are neither of them would be good enough to keep us out of the basement. So unless Dubas magic beans in some other stars at that point I'd say we're tanking regardless.

Although the Caps are somehow competing this year with 38 year old Ov, and OV looks like he's done as a good player. But I'm not sure it's sustainable.

Thats would mean Malkin "grinding out this regular season" plus three more.

I dont think Sid and the boys (fans, media, or Dubas) even entertained the notion that this team was sinking like a stone.
I dont think Sid will stick around to play for the Pittsburg Sabres. If play offs are not option (and they arent) in Steeltown .....Sid still has plenty of game. He will be open to playing elsewhere.

Aves
Knights
Panthers
I don't know. Sid I think is concerned about his legacy and being a one team guy I have a feeling means a lot to him.

Geno I'm less sure about there but I think if Geno were to leave the Pens he'd just go play in the KHL for a year or two.

Reactions: PaulD

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If they'd be down with it I think this team has finally beat me down enough that I'd rather see the core move on and maybe have a chance with another organization to do something. That would have been unthinkable to me before. But this is all pointless and hopeless now and moving ahead and they still have some good game to give a team that takes winning seriously.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad