Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Ben Lovejoy from Anaheim for Simon Despres (Seriously)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
Gusy. Dreger just said SD is a #5/6. Which leads me to ask, are we overrating him? Or is Darren underpaying him?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
According to Craig Button on NHL Network, Feels despite Despres strong skating ability to move puck out of zone and some physical element is not more than a 5th or 6th Dman. There you go you negative nellys :laugh:

I, uh... wouldn't really hang your hat on that.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
Maybe the Penguins just see Simon as not being that smart and he is what he is. If they thought he was a 1 or 2 in the making, they wouldn't make the deal.

Speed Kills

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
When I reading about this trade I kept on wondering what else we got in return and it was nothing. I know we got a deep group of dmen in wilkes barre. But we have no physical dmen. Still left shaking my head after this one.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
After reading some tweets.
It seems that JR and more importantly his underlings were super high on Lovejoy as a playoff defender. I was trying to find the reason they did this and there it is.

They value his experience and whatever they've seen of Ben since going to the Ducks that they were willing to trade Despres straight up for him.

The bottom line is they see Cole+Lovejoy helping the team more in the playoffs this year than Despres+Bortuzzo. I'm not so sure i agree with that but only the playoffs this year will give us the answer.

cool, you want Lovejoy back ok. Not me, but ok. But don't give up a 1st round pick for him. Offer Bryan Rust. Offer Doulmolin or a 4th round pick at best. But Despres??? Really??

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So does Despres?

Stoner is a vet. The Penguins aren't the only team that plays vets over younger players. Plus when they have each pairing with an aggressive player and a defensive player. Just like here, Despres will be the one scratched. I can guarantee it.

I live an hour from Anaheim. Go as the Ducks forum, I can guarantee you that they will have Despres being their 7th.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
According to Craig Button on NHL Network, Feels despite Despres strong skating ability to move puck out of zone and some physical element is not more than a 5th or 6th Dman. There you go you negative nellys :laugh:

Bold tells you all you need to know on how to evaluate that statement.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Despres was played as a 5/6 d-man on a very deep defensive team, during what was basically his rookie season. Does anything think Dreger or Button have seen enough of Despres' play to be able to accurately assess him as a player long term?

Despres is going to develop into a very good 2nd pairing guy, possibly top pairing. He's huge, he's got a nasty streak, he can skate very well, and he doesn't shy away from any of the physical stuff. To say he'll only ever be a bottom pairing guy is selling him a bit short, imo. I'm not a Despres fanboy, but the guy had some pretty high potential.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Despres was played as a 5/6 d-man on a very deep defensive team, during what was basically his rookie season. Does anything think Dreger or Button have seen enough of Despres' play to be able to accurately assess him as a player long term?

Despres is going to develop into a very good 2nd pairing guy, possibly top pairing. He's huge, he's got a nasty streak, he can skate very well, and he doesn't shy away from any of the physical stuff. To say he'll only ever be a bottom pairing guy is selling him a bit short, imo. I'm not a Despres fanboy, but the guy had some pretty high potential.
Very fair assessment. I think he'll fit in well with the Ducks.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

He definitely has the physical tools. Whether he can put it all together and be a dependable 2nd pairing guy remains to be seen.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm trying to see the positive spin on it..it's your choice if you want to listen to the fan boys who are throwing tantrums

Again, can you name a trade this organization has made in the last 6 years that makes less sense than this one?

If you can't, you really can't complain about people not being happy. There's no positive spin to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad