Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Ben Lovejoy from Anaheim for Simon Despres (Seriously)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh... and stop saying this is a surefire short term player for this team.

He'll be too darn close in his career to falling off a cliff for the Penguins to NOT sign him to a lucrative, long-term deal after next season. Come on, people.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ducks fan here.

Lovejoy has made big strides in Anaheim, been playing top pairing minutes with Fowler pretty much ever since coming to our team. He tends to ice the puck a lot, but he's become very solid defensively. Skates very well, plays physical and comes to play every night. Such a likeable guy too, I really wish he could have won a cup with us.

Long term, the Ducks robbed the Pens on this one. But short term you are getting a good player. I'm glad we traded him to another contender at least, too bad he's probably gonna be your whipping boy after this trade. I hope he comes back to Pittsburgh with confidence after his time with us.

Seriously, how can you not like this guy?

I have nothing against Lovejoy. I believe he will do well. It's just that I liked Despres so much better. I liked him as a top pair, top 4, bottom pair...didn't matter. I liked Elmer. I liked his game.

I would rather have had Despres than Lovejoy given the choice. Nothing against Lovejoy...this isn't his fault...but this was a **** trade for the organization.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
This team needed to make a move for a forward this trade deadline. Maybe, one defenseman. Instead we traded a cost controlled asset that if left to improve his play probably could've at least been flipped for a 2nd round pick at some point. Instead we got a defenseman for a year and a half.

Despres is only on a two year deal and would have commanded 3 mil + after this contract. Lovejoy probably won't he's 31 what you see is what you get, so no you are wrong

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
We've actually had to say this about a few too many trades lately, and honestly, while life "will go on," I don't think asking your team to be competent is too much.
I'm not seeing this long stream of horrendous trades, but whatever. Don't let me stop the melodramatic indulgences.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
If you are a WWE fan, the wrestling world and the penguins are almost identical. COULD be great.... but shoots themselves in the foot too many times.

Thanks for reminding me that my 2 favorite sources of entertainment in all the world are mis-managed ****shows.:whine:

Well... see you in the Raw thread.:laugh:

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Hypothetical question, just for the giggles: What if Despres turns out to have a bad concussion? Does the whole deal fall through or is it sold as seen?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Not a Despres fan at all but his skating and size is needed on this defense.

Does anybody really think the Pens will get through playoff rounds against the Caps, Rangers, Islanders and Bruins with this tissue soft defense?

At the same time... do they have the players to wear down those teams defenses?

Time for tea with the pinkys up on the greens already.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Despres is full of upside, Lovejoy will be out of the NHL after next season.

Lovejoy has been a health scratch for the Ducks 20 games this season, 20 games (I know its not 20, I'm just pissed). He has missed a ton of games though due to injury and being scratched.

Sorry but this is just a notch under Forsberg for Erat, hell at least the Capitals got Latta.

That simply isn't true. He missed a chunk of games due to an injury early in the season, and was a healthy scratch maybe twice. Part of that was just a slight rough patch, but part of it was also due to Boudreau trying to rotate the D a bit.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not seeing this long stream of horrendous trades, but whatever. Don't let me stop the melodramatic indulgences.

i'm actually not being melodramatic, especially not when you consider the source.

There's been quite a few trades based around grit and experience and other meaningless words over the past 5 years.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The Despres-Lovejoy trade was horrendous. The only other move JR has made that has been half questionable was the Ehrhoff signing. I honestly believe Martin would have been shipped out if Maatta hadn't gotten hurt, and I think the Ehrhoff signing was the first piece of that puzzle. Aside from those two moves, I have no issue with anything JR has done with this roster.

Sadly, the Despres-Lovejoy move was so bad, and the fact that it just happened, has made everyone forget about everything else he's done. I'm not excusing the move today whatsoever, but let's not act like he's as bad as the last guy who ****ed this team over for half a decade.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I keep hearing "we have a load of young dmen" as rationalization for horrible trades or bad asset management.

Especially when the premise exists to purposely draft them because they can be flipped later. It gets annoying, it's not like every pay day you go and fling your money into the air because it's a time when you happen to have a lot of it.

Players have value, in baseball they often will convert a player into a dollar value to ***** a trade. It doesnt matter how useful they are to their team their value will be their value. When you make a trade you make it based on that value. In the case of both of these trades we got horrible value for what we shipped out. What annoyed me especially so with the Morrow deal was how it seemed there was zero communication and expectations as to how Morrow was going to be utilized so we traded what essentially was the kind of deal you do for an impact top 6 winger like Hossa and instead we got a 3rd liner who was very ineffectual. Lets not try to re-write history, that was an awful trade then and still is awful now.

he played well his 1st couple of games before hurting his knee. and he gave this team what it lacked. I wasnt trilled about moving a #1 (morrow) for him? But I understood why they pulled the trigger. cup run, player not on the roster etc etc
we still have questions about leadership in the locker room today, so i'm not going to write off what he could do for us back then.

the trade today doesnt make any sense from that stand point. depres was already here playing and developing and its not like we're one of the top favorites to win a cup. I'm trying to grasp what they were even thinking

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Hypothetical question, just for the giggles: What if Despres turns out to have a bad concussion? Does the whole deal fall through or is it sold as seen?

If the Penguins hid that from the Ducks the league would get involved and force draft pick compensation.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
It would be different if this was a shero/bylsma move but this is the second regime and again they just don't see it in Simon. Maybe they are right. It does not seem this decision was made randomly. Jim said him and others were talking about it for a few hours today and had previous discussions over the last few weeks.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
According to Craig Button on NHL Network, Feels despite Despres strong skating ability to move puck out of zone and some physical element is not more than a 5th or 6th Dman. There you go you negative nellys :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
People are acting like Lovejoy is a scrub. He's not the player we traded years ago. He's developed into a nice defenseman. He'll contribute and do well for us.

The issue of course is Despres has untapped potential and Lovejoy is as good as he'll ever get.

This isn't the nightmare trade people are making it out to be, but it is a lateral move at best as Lovejoy is barely if at all better than Despres and Despres could get better. We'll see how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad