Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Ben Lovejoy from Anaheim for Simon Despres (Seriously)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not saying there aren't smart minds on message boards but someone who has been employed as a GM for 20 years, there is a reason he was a GM for 20 years.

A really bad GM.

It's like when the Penguins hired Waddell to be one of their scouts and they were all "Executive experience is always a plus!" Uh... yeah... SUCCESSFUL exectutive experience. Not a team wrecker.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I mean this trade is ****ing pathetic. I'm not even convinced Lovejoy is better than Despres NOW. Just so disillusioned with this team...

I fully agree. I have said multiple times now that I really couldn't tell you anything that Lovejoy does better than Despres. It's bizarre.

I can't wait till we play them Friday. I hope Despres has the game of his life.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The only positive is that at this point in their careers, Lovejoy is probably more reliable/safer.

In the end though, they got older, smaller, less physical, and not significantly better offensively.

It was a bad trade. Plain and simple. I keep trying to remind myself of all the good trades and signings JR has made, but I can't stop thinking "why?"

I totally agree with your assessment. But what about this? They also could have lost him for nothing if when it came time to resign Maata, Pouliot, dumo/Harrington.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

What many people will fail to realize is that this is actually a Despres quote from 2022, after we acquired him for two 1sts and a 2nd.

I really want the Pens organisation to regret this one. Despres must be a ****** in person. The org and the media have treated him like such an afterthought when his on-ice ability has been nothing but fantastic.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Why are we holding onto DP, Bennett, and Kapanen then?

...because we don't have an exact surplus of F prospects ready to contribute in the big show? DP is a different case since he is a d-man and Despres ended up being the odd man out of those quality guys. I don't think for a second that GMJR would have given e.g. Dumoulin straight-up for Lovejoy.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I fully agree. I have said multiple times now that I really couldn't tell you anything that Lovejoy does better than Despres. It's bizarre.

I can't wait till we play them Friday. I hope Despres has the game of his life.

One can only hope. This team needs to have a big time reality check.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This team values things that we do not.

just look at their justifications...

"we lost Niskanen and Orpik, we needed this"

I mean, that was a paraphrased quote. THEY LOST NISKANEN AND ORPIK, SO THEY NEEDED COLE AND LOVEJOY.

No one stopped to say, "well, you know, Niskanen and Orpik were young, inconsistent guys at one point... how did they get experience?"

Not to mention: Letang, Martin, Ehrhoff, Scuderi. Basically, you couldn't have two inexperienced guys in the lineup at once. Which then begs the question: how are you going to use Maatta, DP, Harrington and Dumoulin?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Realistically, how many years until Despres was the top D pair or if ever? How many years of Crosby/Malkin we got left? The time to win is now.

Top pairing? On this team? Never. Letang and Maatta, or Boychuk if we sign him this summer. Second pairing? October and conceivably onward.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I totally agree with your assessment. But what about this? They also could have lost him for nothing if when it came time to resign Maata, Pouliot, dumo/Harrington.

And that somehow justifies only getting Lovejoy back in return?

The problem isn't Despres got traded, it's what they got, or more precisely didn't get for him.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Haven't posted in awhile. New house out in the country side. Beautiful and secluded but leaves a lot to be desired for modern conveniences.

I do not like this trade.

If this trade was made for a "win now" mentality I don't think a guy like Lovejoy puts us all that much closer to said goal in relation to potential lost potential as well as yet another example of crappy asset management. I see far to many issues that will hinder this team from winning the cup that the addition of Lovejoy doesn't come close to making up.
Furthermore, if the team is selling this as a try to win now move, and they do NOTHING to account for the bigger issues (Scuderi, Kunitz Adams being given prominent roles which their play doesn't seem to be deserving of) then why make this move at all? Despres could have been a better option at a win now next year or the year after when the team is in a much better position to actually make a legit run than Lovejoy is now when the team isn't in a commanding position.

Lovejoy is a finished product for the most part. Despres is still evolving and still growing. And as much as his successes for the Ducks have been touted in this thread, he has digressed or stalled this season to the point of being a healthy scratch recently despite the Ducks banged up blueline. Yes, he made strides when he left the Pens...but took a step backwards this year which was why the Ducks have been trying to unload him.

I realize that it doesn't work this way literally, but we have turned a 2009 first round pick into Anthony Angello (the 4th rounder we got from the Ducks in the Lovejoy deal). Just crap asset management.

I see the potential of Despres and see what he could have possibly provided the Pens in a year or 2 and I see what Lovejoy gives us now...at a juncture when the cup is a longshot and this deal just reeks of a PR move...or a move by the "cool kids" in the organization, a group that Simon was never a part of. A PR move to sale to the dolts who think that Craig Adams is a proven and valuable defensive warrior/leader which every team would love to have.

Yeah, Benny is better defensively than Despres atm, but nowhere near to the degree that would make a cup run more feasible.

Furthermore, it's just another deal for an average vet who brings nothing which we don't already have that will potentially block the NHL development of players which we need to develop. It's a trade in an area that we have a strength of and it does ZERO to address our weaknesses.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Brandon Sutter... not the problem...

Max Lapierre... not the problem...

Craig Adams... not the problem...

Rob Scuderi... not the problem...

Simon Despres.

The problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events