Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Ben Lovejoy from Anaheim for Simon Despres (Seriously)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Just remember:

not one reporter asked about Despres yesterday after suffering a concussion.

Imagine if that had been Letang or Martin or the precious, Pouliot. The team didn't make a statement. There was nothing said.

You can say Bort was dumped in the same way, but I think everyone would agree they're different players at different points, and Bortuzzo certainly got a much-longer opportunity to earn a spot.

I just find it sort of funny and sad.

I think it'll be very telling what kind of minutes / time / leash Despres is given in Anaheim.

If he isn't, I think we can easily take away that three organizations thought he had attitude issues.

If he lives up to what he should live up to, then we have even more ammo for the Pittsburgh Penguins being one of the worst NHL franchises in terms of upper management since probably the mid '90s.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We just traded a better, younger, bigger, more physical, and cheaper dman for a dman who's only "advantage" is that he's "experienced."

Thats certainly how JR is spinning this.
It's obvious though that they didn't like Despres's game other than the hits.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Think of all the experience Adams will have by this summer. We can't just let a guy with so much of the single most important attribute in hockey go for nothing.

I want him re-signed through 2020. For those who doubt, remember that he's only going to get more experienced, ergo better.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Don't worry though, guys. Lovejoy is a great interview.

Does anyone get the feeling that this team works harder to create an environment for a good quote/social media moment than an environment for a Cup contending hockey team?

And thanks, Rip. That really engenders all sorts of confidence in this "new, improved Lovejoy."

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Morrow for Morrow was at least a strength (d-prospects) for a need (forwards) even if it was gone about the wrong way.

The Murray thing was awful, (Shero's worst in my opinion) but at the time we needed someone who could clear the crease. So while there was an overpayment of epic proportions, it at least filled a need.

We just traded a better, younger, bigger, more physical, and cheaper dman for a dman who's only "advantage" is that he's "experienced."

Yeah, this one is the worst but not by an unbelievable margin. This team, man. :shakehead

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Does anyone get the feeling that this team works harder to create an environment for a good quote/social media moment than an environment for a Cup contending hockey team?

And thanks, Rip. That really engenders all sorts of confidence on this "new, improved Lovejoy."

!#*%(#$&*%(*#($&*

HOW MANY reporters have said, "GREAT QUOTE/GUY/INTERVIEW!"

vs

How many have ACTUALLY QUESTIONED THE ****ING TRADE.

YinzAintBurgh*

Realistically, how many years until Despres was the top D pair or if ever? How many years of Crosby/Malkin we got left? The time to win is now.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I've been here 10+ years. The general consensus of this board has a much higher conversion rate than Craig Button. Or a lot of other "names", for that matter. You just have to be willing to dig. And listen.

Just because people aren't paid to have an opinion doesn't mean it isn't right. Just because they aren't on some sports channel's payroll doesn't mean they don't understand the game better than many employed, there. Works the other way around, too.

I'm not saying there aren't smart minds on message boards but someone who has been employed as a GM for 20 years, there is a reason he was a GM for 20 years.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014

What many people will fail to realize is that this is actually a Despres quote from 2022, after we acquired him for two 1sts and a 2nd.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Realistically, how many years until Despres was the top D pair or if ever? How many years of Crosby/Malkin we got left? The time to win is now.

Lovejoy accomplishes that? Anaheim considers themselves contenders and yet they were willing to part with Lovejoy. Says plenty about Lovejoy.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

And thanks, Rip. That really engenders all sorts of confidence on this "new, improved Lovejoy."

Not really, tbh. They're more about controlling the media and spinning things than anything else, and their social media game isn't exactly strong. They've seemed more interested in a family environment on the team, though.

The media people will be happy about having a great interview while the Pens attempt to control the narrative.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus

Reading at the reactions today:

Before the trade: guaranteed in a few years but it's ever-important because asset management trumps 87+71 primes
After the trade: TOMORROW!!1!one a guaranteed top-4 or top-2 Bobby Orr reincarnate

Two different regimes did not clearly like what Despres brings on the table; there has to be much more to it than any of us knows. Perhaps his hockey IQ ceiling lies at 5/6, no matter how big, intimidating and an awesome skater he is.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
!#*%(#$&*%(*#($&*

HOW MANY reporters have said, "GREAT QUOTE/GUY/INTERVIEW!"

vs

How many have ACTUALLY QUESTIONED THE ****ING TRADE.

Oh ****... I think I might have unintentionally made him crack.

But no, seriously... you're right. It seems like few are actually talking hockey when it comes to this trade. Even Ducks fans are all "Great character guy! Check out this funny interview! Always stays to sign autographs!" I mean... slight exaggeration... of course. But the vast majority of the "pros" in the Lovejoy column are being ticked under the "INTANGIBLES" subcategory. Which sets off alarm bells, to me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't like this trade but I do like the possibility of having Lovejoy as the elder statesman to anchor the 3rd pairing next year, but that only applies if we dump Scuderi.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Reading at the reactions today:

Before the trade: guaranteed in a few years but it's ever-important because asset management trumps 87+71 primes
After the trade: TOMORROW!!1!one a guaranteed top-4 or top-2 Bobby Orr reincarnate

Two different regimes did not clearly like what Despres brings on the table; there has to be much more to it than any of us knows. Perhaps his hockey IQ ceiling lies at 5/6, no matter how big, intimidating and an awesome skater he is.

There's nothing on the ice that suggests less than what we have projected. Off the ice we know nothing. Guys may hate him as a person, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad