Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Red Wings 3: It's About the Win, Not the Style Points

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don’t know what you consider bad, but the last couple POs he was giving up weak goals (to Eberle coming down the wing and at a sharp angle when he wasn’t hugging the post for example) that would allow the Isles or Caps to take the lead and this was occurring with regularity...at inopportune times when challenged one on one by shooters, whether on a breakaway or not, he was beaten more often than not...that’s my lasting impression of the last two POs...he wasn’t necessarily the reason we lost but he was one significant factor in why we didn’t win...

He was very good last year and mediocre in 2018.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
No, he has had a bad month. If you really think this is Murray's normal, and not just him on a slump, you have the memory of a rabbit.

Ok so he had a bad month. He also had some time off and let TJ play some to get over it. Starts a game - fresh and rested, but goes right back to bad late goals and a meh save%.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nobody should comment on goalies because none of you can keep from being the Facebook MAF posters you hate when you do.

Sorry, but **** yinz.

rejected_his_message.jpg

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
There were no bad goals conceded by him tonight and Detroit had plenty of opportunities to score more. Murray did his part.

Murrays own body language on the 3rd goal is the most prime example of him being upset that a goal went in that should not have.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
he might defer to him in other ways, but they play different shifts at ES so he can’t defer to him on the ice...

And at even strength they are not on at the same time in a given game. At least not for how many games they played. You'd think they would have taken over a lot of games with each piling up points, but they don't very often. I mean, how many games have they even put up 3/4 points together without the aid of the PP?

It's like they tag each other in from game to games or week to week, or even longer.

Reactions: Andy99

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Nah, not this good. Geno defers to Sid and it's been like that since day one.

weird, becuase Malkin has outplayed Crosby in every cup run.

(looking back at 2016, what Malkin did with one arm and the corpse of Kunitz was more impressive than what Sid did)

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Maybe Murray is just an average goalie. If he is brilliant to good for stretches, and then Meh to suck for stretches, wouldn't the average be somewhere around just average?

average goalies don't win two cups.

just last season he had a 920 save percentage.

i don't get people declaring him "a bad goalie" only people with a vendeta.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And at even strength they are not on at the same time in a given game. At least not for how many games they played. You'd think they would have taken over a lot of games with each piling up points, but they don't very often. I mean, how many games have they even put up 3/4 points together without the aid of the PP?

It's like they tag each other in from game to games or week to week, or even longer.

could be and it could be deliberate: hey Geno, I’m taking it easy this game, you take over...but I don’t think of that as Geno deferring to Sid ...that’s them tag teaming their energy for the season...it could just also be a natural reaction for one of them to relax when the other is going good...Geno defers to Sid on maybe linemates or locker room issues, media etc, but I don’t see how he can do that on the ice...

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
average goalies don't win two cups.

just last season he had a 920 save percentage.

i don't get people declaring him "a bad goalie" only people with a vendeta.
Right, I don't think you're first point is necessarily true in all cases. As to your second, he was poop until December, then good after. Like I said, average or inconsistent. Capable of great goaltending and also equally capable of inadequate goaltending. I never said he was bad, I don't think he is.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Murrays own body language on the 3rd goal is the most prime example of him being upset that a goal went in that should not have.

Goaltenders get annoyed at themselves all the time. I'd rather base it being a bad goal or not on whether you're expecting those to go in, and once the shooter's really got hold of it and there's a strong screen, they go in reasonably regularly.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
they need to figure special plays...PP sucks for now way too long, and PK is awful, they stopped pressuring same old collapsing stuff, and two defensman somehow missing the low guy...I swear they got scored at least 4-5 times the same way...shot from the blue line, or right wall, rebound and an easy tap...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Marino is such a beauty. The kid is a 1D through and through. Unreal.
All while making it look easy.
He's really f***ing good.

I just picture last years defense and wonder what this year would be like without him.
So happy that whoever found that guy... found that guy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah Osgood was the goalie of his generation .

There's a big old chunk of territory between average and goalie of his generation.

Right, I don't think you're first point is necessarily true in all cases. As to your second, he was poop until December, then good after. Like I said, average or inconsistent. Capable of great goaltending and also equally capable of inadequate goaltending. I never said he was bad, I don't think he is.

Murray was a lot more than good after December last year and it averaged out to good overall.

So far Murray's been a better than average goaltender in the NHL.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Murray wasn’t bad until he was. Honestly the team plays worse in front of him than they do in front of Jarry.

I think this has to do with Sully. Sure this is the second of a back to back game, but we came out slow and sluggish, which was definitely intentional. If we came out like we did the last two games we would have probably blew them out of the water instead of nearly losing it.

I am sure JR is working things out and has some plans, but we might as well unload Chucky as part of a larger deal or if we can get tradeable assets. It would be nice to keep Geno’s line together while having somebody ready to play with Sid when he comes back. Or somebody to play with Marino when Dumo is back.

Murray look good at times tonight but shaky throughout with some weak rebound control we just don’t see from Jarry. Keep riding TJ until it doesn’t work and wait for Murray to get back in to it.

Geno, Jake and Rust are great together. Geno is absolutely in beast mode right now.

It’s great we got another win and have strung three in a row. We need to keep it up as everyone else in the metro seems to be doing the same. I hate that Philly is good again but would love to play them in the first round.

Looking forward to Tuesday as hopefully we come out and feast on the Habs.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
All while making it look easy.
He's really ****ing good.

I just picture last years defense and wonder what this year would be like without him.
So happy that whoever found that guy... found that guy.

It is hockey justice that Mario never giving up on Artie and sticking with him through thick and thin lands us a stud 1D who happened to go this kids elementary school

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
There's a big old chunk of territory between average and goalie of his generation.

Murray was a lot more than good after December last year and it averaged out to good overall.

So far Murray's been a better than average goaltender in the NHL.
Hopefully he gets back to that level sooner rather than later. I'd still prefer them not give him huge money and term, or any goalie for that matter. If he is playing well then the team is better for it. I don't have any personal vested interest in any players outside 71 and 87. I just want to see the team win.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00