Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 4 (SO) - No Letang, No Problem . . . Just as ColePens Foresaw It

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
you don't see Jake as a top 6 LW?

I don't see Jake as a fit with Geno and Phil. Geno needs one winger with some jam, otherwise he's wasted. Jake has not been a consistently good fit with Sid this season no matter who the RW has been.

Does that mean he's not a top six LW in theory? Certainly he is a top six LW.

Does that mean he's a good fit with Sid or Geno right now and really all year? I don't think that's close to a given.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't see Jake as a fit with Geno and Phil. Geno needs one winger with some jam, otherwise he's wasted. Jake has not been a consistently good fit with Sid this season no matter who the RW has been.

Does that mean he's not a top six LW in theory? Certainly he is a top six LW.

Does that mean he's a good fit with Sid or Geno right now and really all year? I don't think that's close to a given.
Agreed with Geno and Kessel. Obviously last playoffs showed that he CAN be a great fit with Sid. I wonder how much of that is him just not being a good fit with Sid in half-ass mode.

I also think he's been a good fit with either Geno OR Kessel, just not both.

Reactions: Badfish87

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed with Geno and Kessel. Obviously last playoffs showed that he CAN be a great fit with Sid. I also think he's been a good fit with either Geno OR Kessel, just not both.

Fair.

BTW, I didn't mind Jake with Geno and Horny on the shift where Jake scored. Of all the LW's Sully has tried with Geno and Horny, I don't think Jake has seen anything more than a random shift.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Phil get some shifts with Sid. Sid may not prefer to play with Phil, but heaven knows almost everything else has been tried to jump start him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Stat of the night . . . # of officially credited Matt Hunwick turnovers: 0

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
With his Assist, Sid is now tied 68th all time with Pat Verbeek at 1063 points. One more point to go to tie Joey Mullen...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
- Glad they won and pulled out the two points from the depths of despair, but CBJ were missing their top two pivots, best blueliner and a top six winger.

- Couple pages in and no one mentions Phil? This team would be so ****ed without him...

- Going to be honest, I felt pretty pissed watching Rowney and Kuhn out there in OT killing the penalty... couple guys down in WBS that can play their roles and actually provide offense, but Sullivan is attached to his coal miners.

I think Phil had a pretty bad first 30 minutes. He turned it on when it mattered. The backcheck he had in the 3rd was crazy. He also had 2 hits I saw. 81 is a godsend. Nobody is questioning that.

Reactions: BHD and Ogrezilla

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Stat of the night . . . # of officially credited Matt Hunwick turnovers: 0

Really? He had the first one. I made a comment in the GDT. He had the puck in the D zone plenty of space/time CBJ holding back and he made a terrible bank pass that went straight to Columbus.

It’s **** like that that’s been so frustrating. Not just for him it’s most of the team. We turnover the puck in the worst spots. If it’s not safe just get it deep or in space to where we can at least battle for it.

Much rather a turnover along the wall deep in the o zone than in the middle of the ice.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah I don't get people that take a negative out of other teams getting a point. Sadly we can only control our destiny. We got 2 points out of 2 tonight. The team needs to get on a roll if they want to make the playoffs. f*** what every other team is doing.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and BHD

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah I don't get people that take a negative out of other teams getting a point. Sadly we can only control our destiny. We got 2 points out of 2 tonight. The team needs to get on a roll if they want to make the playoffs. **** what every other team is doing.

They need to get on a roll and 2 other teams to get off one. Sure the Pens mindset should be just focus on them, but as fans, why wouldn’t we scoreboard watch?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Maatta looked really good. Ruhwedel is a perfect #7. Kessel is just on a different level this season. He's so dangerous with the puck. Murray had some stinkers tonight.

This team could trade Hagelin and Hunwick and lose very little on the ice and gain 6.25m in cap space.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maatta looked really good. Ruhwedel is a perfect #7. Kessel is just on a different level this season. He's so dangerous with the puck. Murray had some stinkers tonight.

This team could trade Hagelin and Hunwick and lose very little on the ice and gain 6.25m in cap space.

Yes they could but what moron would trade for that without sending garbage back?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
They need to get on a roll and 2 other teams to get off one. Sure the Pens mindset should be just focus on them, but as fans, why wouldn’t we scoreboard watch?

Well the reality is... if we get on a roll we are going through our division. So it will take care of itself. Plus teams have to play one another. We are far from the finish line of staring at the divisional scoreboard.

Main thing for the Pens - win some games in a row. Period.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well the reality is... if we get on a roll we are going through our division. So it will take care of itself. Plus teams have to play one another. We are far from the finish line of staring at the divisional scoreboard.

Main thing for the Pens - win some games in a row. Period.

I agree but it needs to be in regulation. Can’t keep giving a point to divisional teams.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ian Cole was awful in this hockey game. That was true of most of the D (Maatta and Dumoulin were mostly okay), but Cole really stood out as a negative, which isn't easy to do when Hunwick and Ruhwedel are your competition.

I hope all this talk about trading for wings is wrong. The defense is offensively bad at moving the puck to the forwards. At one point, Phil got so frustrated with Ruhwedel's inability to complete a pass that he called for a switch and played D on a set breakout while Ruhwedel played wing (successful breakout, btw). Adding a prime Mike Bossy up front wouldn't offset the problem this creates in transition.

Any trade assets we have need to go to defensemen who can get the puck from our zone to the forwards. Hopefully guys who are a bit of a point threat, too. Anything else needs to shore up the center position.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Maatta has had his issues, but he finally is starting to look like he has a pep back in his stride. Dumoulin still looks like hot garbage most nights.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Just one thing on Sullivan, who I think is a great coach; I don't get why he doesn't treat the last 2-minutes of every period as an opportunity to just blitz the opposition with a couple stacked lines. Throw out Malkin-Crosby-Kessel. Follow that up with maybe Guentzel-Sheahan-Hornqvist or something and then end the period with the 3-headed monster again. Then you have an 18-minute break to rest.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Ian Cole was awful in this hockey game. That was true of most of the D (Maatta and Dumoulin were mostly okay), but Cole really stood out as a negative, which isn't easy to do when Hunwick and Ruhwedel are your competition.

I hope all this talk about trading for wings is wrong. The defense is offensively bad at moving the puck to the forwards. At one point, Phil got so frustrated with Ruhwedel's inability to complete a pass that he called for a switch and played D on a set breakout while Ruhwedel played wing (successful breakout, btw). Adding a prime Mike Bossy up front wouldn't offset the problem this creates in transition.

Any trade assets we have need to go to defensemen who can get the puck from our zone to the forwards. Hopefully guys who are a bit of a point threat, too. Anything else needs to shore up the center position.

We have Letang and Schultz in our top 4 when healthy. Not sure what else we can do to add more puck movement other than swapping Letang out or acquiring a third pairing D better than Ruh which won’t be hard and likely will happen. That won’t cost a lot.

We have our 1st. Sprong. Cole. Jarry. And a couple expendable wingers to swap for different fits in our top 9 forward group.

Don’t think that’s impossible to make work.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Besides the fact that Bobrovsky melted down again, I really didn't think we deserved that win. Malkin and Kessel were trying to will us to victory, but they didn't get a lot of help. Sid needs to shoot. I know Letang has made horrible plays on d, but without him, our transition game is awful. Trading him is a damned if you do or you don't thing imo. Maata needs to hold the puck at the blue line better. Twice he killed great possessions with blunders of that sort. Murray hasn't had much help, but if he's an elite goaltender, he needs to steal some games. Though that one save he had was amazing, I'll give him that for sure.

If I'm JR, nothing about tonight changes anything.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Canon the Penguins would install, wouldn't even go bang, it'd just make a goofy noise, then a "BANG" thing would pop out...then it's the "Andrew WK - Party Hard" playing for the Penguins go celebration.

It'd be hilarious.

Reactions: Clare2904 and NEPA

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Maatta looks quite good this season. Which is a bit worrisome... I don't want to lose my drinking buddy! Ruhwedel was looking good too.

And this talk of a LW with some jam:

Niederreiter
Tkachuk
Sam Bennett
Evander Kane
Killorn (he jams, right?)

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Maatta isn't perfect as a PP point man but I love how he gets shots through. That's something Letang has always struggled with.

Reactions: wej20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad