Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 4 (OT) - Playoff Phil Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Demolish OTT in last home game and win home ice for first round, that's all i ask right now, baby jesus.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Prefer a Thursday start to the playoffs and give the Pens 5 full days to get healthy and ready. Yes win tonight and get home ice as well and avoid travel time. Kessel, Brassard, Murray will benefit from the time off. Well actually everyone but a healthy Pens are still a tough out here.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The team should be able to win this game with their backup. It wouldn't be bad to give Mur a night off. It wouldn't be bad to get DeSmith time just in case of emergency (which we needed in 2 straight Cup runs). I think it's a bad idea to start Mur.

1) DeSmith isn't going to save them if Murray is ineffective in the playoffs.

2) The Penguins will have 5 or 6 days off in between this game and their first playoff game. Fatigue won't be a concern. Injury is a concern - for every player in every game.

A lot of you need to stop being panicky grandmas.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

2) The Penguins will have 5 or 6 days off in between this game and their first playoff game. Fatigue won't be a concern. Injury is a concern - for every player in every game.

Are you addressing me about panicking? Because you might be mistaking me with many other users. :laugh: This is free money for me and I fully believe a backup like DeSmith or Jarry could come in and at least give us a chance in a game. They aren't scrubs. I like both goalies. Nothing flashy but the right type of backup.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Are you addressing me about panicking? Because you might be mistaking me with many other users. :laugh: This is free money for me and I fully believe a backup like DeSmith or Jarry could come in and at least give us a chance in a game. They aren't scrubs. I like both goalies. Nothing flashy but the right type of backup.

I don't think they'd be proving much against Ottawa.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
The NHL just gave Claude Giroux an assist on Philly 1st goal giving him 99 points for the season. I wonder if the Pens have sent a complaint on the Pens 1st goal where it looks like Malkin deflected the Jackets clearing attempt that went Schultz before Hornqvist goal.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I legitimately don't understand that. We all know that professional athletes are idiots when it comes to playing through injuries. Sully's gotta put his foot down and say "Phil, you're sitting for a few because it's in both your and our best interest". Hell, bribe him by renting out the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile and letting him drive it on the ice like a Zamboni. That's the coach's job. Obviously, it's too late for that now with the playoffs about to start, but it should have happened.

They probably banked on the few long breaks between games (this past week, and next week) to help Phil get closer to right. From his play last night, they made the right choice playing him. We don't win without Phil last night, and then we're definitely on the road, and potentially playing Boston in the first round.

Once the playoffs start, the travel will be easier, there will be breaks between every game, and if we get a little lucky, maybe some more extended breaks between series.

He's Phil freaking Kessel, he's going to play. And there's nothing any of us mere mortals can do about it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
They probably banked on the few long breaks between games (this past week, and next week) to help Phil get closer to right. From his play last night, they made the right choice playing him. We don't win without Phil last night, and then we're definitely on the road, and potentially playing Boston in the first round.

Once the playoffs start, the travel will be easier, there will be breaks between every game, and if we get a little lucky, maybe some more extended breaks between series.

He's Phil freaking Kessel, he's going to play. And there's nothing any of us mere mortals can do about it.

Last night proved how important he is. Like you said , we dont win without him.

Its no coincidence we struggled after the deadline, with Phil being hurt

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I don't see their defensive woes as anything systematic either. Every breakdown can be easily explained by individual players making poor plays/decisions.

Even when a "system" calls for the D to pinch, even the most reckless coach isn't telling his guys to not use their head when making that choice.

I know some blamed the collision between Olli and Ruh for Atkinson's goal, but that was all about Olli getting walked (again) I don't care what occurred 3 or 4 steps prior to a goal. Whether there's an accident or someone decides to get cute at the offensive blue line and turns the puck over, if the end result is a one on one the other way, I'm putting it 100% on the guy who falls for a Midget AAA move every time.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Do you not remember having to play zatkoff in Game 1, 2 years ago because Sullivan inexplicably started Murray vs a dirty flyers team ?

Yea that sure was brilliant

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Hey Pens fans!

Is Murray going b2b against Ottawa tonight so you guys can nail down home ice? REALLY need that start (and win) from him in my pool.

Any info would be appreciated.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't see their defensive woes as anything systematic either. Every breakdown can be easily explained by individual players making poor plays/decisions.

Even when a "system" calls for the D to pinch, even the most reckless coach isn't telling his guys to not use their head when making that choice.

I know some blamed the collision between Olli and Ruh for Atkinson's goal, but that was all about Olli getting walked (again) I don't care what occurred 3 or 4 steps prior to a goal. Whether there's an accident or someone decides to get cute at the offensive blue line and turns the puck over, if the end result is a one on one the other way, I'm putting it 100% on the guy who falls for a Midget AAA move every time.

Yeah, I’ve really come around to the whole @ColePens lazy / effort myth the whole year. Team is either not caring, trying to pull off fancy plays instead of getting the puck deep or on net, or just like floating.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad