Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 4 (OT) - Playoff Phil Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I am concerned a bit for Phil's injury. They aren't even hiding it. When Phil is asked, he doesn't say anything other than "it's that time of year." And when Sully is asked - he flat out admits having discussions with Phil trying to get him to take nights off but Phil wants to play and contribute. It was part of Sully's post game media.

That means something is obviously wrong and we need 81 to be a star to make another run.

Reactions: BHD

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
Well Ryder71, of course you'd agree.

Cole 2016-17 vs Cole 2017-18 are not the same player with the way they played on the ice. The Pens blue line right now is fine, it's the way they are being coached that is the biggest issue, that and some bad individual play, but as a whole, that shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is for the Pens. The defensive coaching needs to be better, the forwards also half heartedly supporting the defense needs to be better.

Last year, the entire team would play as a unit in the D-zone, support everywhere, they gave up shots, but they would quickly move into the transition game right away and rush up the ice as a 5 man unit. Now it's disconnected, the defense pinches at wrong times, the forwards hover around and get caught either too deep or not covering their man at all and the defense likewise.

You know what problem that is? Coaching. Not the lack of Ian ****ing

Actually Cole was playing little bad because of penalties after his was out the line up after his tooth was out. He wasn’t that bad . It was players way worse then him.. Defense actually were better when he was in the line up.. not all the way .. just better.. He was ok good before scratching . You painting him out to be that way. He was playing on the right side in which that’s not his side and having as his partner Hunwick was awful.. that why he was bad and got into the dog house.. the way how the coaching staff went about it was bad regardless if he was RFA or not.
Either way regardless the little small issue with Sullivan. Pens organization were tryna give Hunwick time putting him over Cole because of new deal ( bad Signing) and yea he had some penalties so did awful Letang but Letang didn’t sit for games...

Yes coaching is the problem.
Cole is sorely missed and big loss on the blue line and Pk. Leadership and communication on D is missing that Letang will never show.
Everyone has the opinions and often try to diminish what players do where they were intregal part of team.. especially Cole.. Cole is more than 5/6 Defensemen in which he can play in the top 4 at times and was effective. He’s capable of being a top 4 not top 1 but top 3/ 4 . He made Letang’s job easier, very solid, warrior, underrated defensively, can jump in offensively (underrated)effective with passing , his skating isn’t bad ,reliable, great on the blue line, great Pk, and he’s Capable of doing whatever the team needs to succeed.
Same thing goes for Daley and Hainsey. Every player has their flaws but some are very glaring than others. Their wasn’t that glaring sabotaging like Letang and did whatever take put the team first. Those are players that should be on this team than Letang.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
My main concern with losing Cole isn't so much losing him, it's that Ruh and Hunwick shouldn't be regulars, and if we have two injuries on d we're really screwed.

I don't think Cole was a great defenseman, but he filled a role that no one else does on our blueline, and he seemingly made his partners look better for the most part.

But Brassard was just getting hot before the injury. He's a legit top 6 talent and could certainly be an x factor in the playoffs. You make that trade every day. We're certainly a more talented team post deadline. I actually kind of like our chances this year.

Reactions: TNT87

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I am concerned a bit for Phil's injury. They aren't even hiding it. When Phil is asked, he doesn't say anything other than "it's that time of year." And when Sully is asked - he flat out admits having discussions with Phil trying to get him to take nights off but Phil wants to play and contribute. It was part of Sully's post game media.

That means something is obviously wrong and we need 81 to be a star to make another run.

Been a month now since the deadline. Thats about the time he got hurt. If its still bothering him, he probably wont be 100%( or close to it, nobody really is at this time of year) until next season.

Good to see he still has that wrister tho when he decides to take it. Needs to keep doing that in the playoffs .

Hockey Freak 7

Apr 1, 2018

Cole 2016-17 vs Cole 2017-18 are not the same player with the way they played on the ice. The Pens blue line right now is fine, it's the way they are being coached that is the biggest issue, that and some bad individual play, but as a whole, that shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is for the Pens. The defensive coaching needs to be better, the forwards also half heartedly supporting the defense needs to be better.

Last year, the entire team would play as a unit in the D-zone, support everywhere, they gave up shots, but they would quickly move into the transition game right away and rush up the ice as a 5 man unit. Now it's disconnected, the defense pinches at wrong times, the forwards hover around and get caught either too deep or not covering their man at all and the defense likewise.

You know what problem that is? Coaching. Not the lack of Ian ****ing Cole.

Cole was absolutely horrendous to start the year, then he got into Sullivan's dog house and they both beefed about it. Then he came back and played better, but to blindly ignore the horse **** Cole was to start the year and for the first half, is just flat out ****ing ignorance.

Par for the course.

Now I await my own phrases used against me in some attempt at a retort.

Hockey Freak 7

Apr 1, 2018

You know what problem that is? Coaching. Not the lack of Ian ****ing Cole.

Cole was absolutely horrendous to start the year, then he got into Sullivan's dog house and they both beefed about it. Then he came back and played better, but to blindly ignore the horse **** Cole was to start the year and for the first half, is just flat out ****ing ignorance.

Par for the course.

Now I await my own phrases used against me in some attempt at a retort.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Honest question, why wouldnt Murray be credited with an assist on Kessel's goal?

Also...f***ing Sheary, maybe he IS worth more than 3rd lol.

Good battle back tonight. They broke my heart and made me fall in love with them like four times...pretty sure this is abusive at this point.

Hockey Freak 7

Apr 1, 2018
@Honour Over Glory
Actually Cole was playing little bad because of penalties after his was out the line up after his tooth was out. He wasn’t that bad . It was players way worse then him.. Defense actually were better when he was in the line up.. not all the way .. just better.. before he was traded ..He was ok good before scratching . You painting him out to be that way. He was playing on the right side in which that’s not his side and having as his partner Hunwick was awful.. that why he was bad and got into the dog house.. the way how the coaching staff went about it was bad regardless if he was RFA or not.
Either way regardless the little small issue with Sullivan. Pens organization were tryna give Hunwick time putting him over Cole because of new deal ( bad Signing) and yea he had some penalties so did awful Letang but Letang didn’t sit for games...

Yes coaching is the problem.
Cole is sorely missed and big loss on the blue line and Pk. Leadership and communication on D is missing that Letang will never show.
Everyone has the opinions and often try to diminish what players do where they were intregal part of team.. especially Cole.. Cole is more than 5/6 Defensemen in which he can play in the top 4 at times and was effective. He’s capable of being a top 4 not top 1 but top 3/ 4 . He made Letang’s job easier, very solid, warrior, underrated defensively, can jump in offensively (underrated)effective with passing , his skating isn’t bad ,reliable, great on the blue line, great Pk, and he’s Capable of doing whatever the team needs to succeed.
Same thing goes for Daley and Hainsey. Every player has their flaws but some are very glaring than others. Their wasn’t that glaring sabotaging like Letang and did whatever take put the team first. Those are players that should be on this team than Letang.[/QUOTE]

He’s gone.. it is what it is.. I wish him the best .. I hope he succeed somewhere with another team he loves to play for that’s not the Penguins .. he probably don’t like playing for Jackets ..you can he doesn’t like it it is what it is..

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Honest question, why wouldnt Murray be credited with an assist on Kessel's goal?

Also...****ing Sheary, maybe he IS worth more than 3rd lol.

Good battle back tonight. They broke my heart and made me fall in love with them like four times...pretty sure this is abusive at this point.

Sheary has 6 points in last 9 games (4g, 2a). Even made some really good defensive plays at times. Good for him

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
4 g 2a in Shearys last 9 games isnt too bad. Need him to continue chipping in here and there.

Btw 10 goals in last 13 games for Hornqvist. To go with his overall game. Imagine the contract he could have got if he tested FA. Should be the Pens MVP this year.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
4 g 2a in Shearys last 9 games isnt too bad. Need him to continue chipping in here and there.

Btw 10 goals in last 13 games for Hornqvist. To go with his overall game. Imagine the contract he could have got if he tested FA. Should be the Pens MVP this year.
Geno is MVP, but Horny's worth goes well beyond his stats, no question!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm hoping for the best with Sheary, but expecting the worst. He's a guy that's going to chip in offensively, during the regular season, and be woefully ineffective in every single other facet of the game.

I hope he at least shows up consistently production-wise this playoff. We're gonna need to beat teams by scoring a ton of goals. This team isn't willing (key word there, because I believe they're entirely capable) of playing/winning 2-1 games with a full 60-minute effort from the entire roster.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Hornqvist is so consistent over his entire career. Always around the 50 point mark (or on pace for) and is pretty much 50/50 in goals/points wise as a whole.

Patric Hornqvist hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

I legitimately don't understand that. We all know that professional athletes are idiots when it comes to playing through injuries. Sully's gotta put his foot down and say "Phil, you're sitting for a few because it's in both your and our best interest". Hell, bribe him by renting out the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile and letting him drive it on the ice like a Zamboni. That's the coach's job. Obviously, it's too late for that now with the playoffs about to start, but it should have happened.

Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sheary has 6 points in last 9 games (4g, 2a). Even made some really good defensive plays at times. Good for him

Sheary has also been getting to the front of the net and the dirty or "Greasy" areas to score goals. Today's goal was just nuts, sheer will and he never gave up. I will say this about Sheary, the guy may fall a ton and we may joke about that and his defense, but the guy is never lazy, he's always trying even though we want him to try with more effectiveness.

Today, or rather the last few games, he's just been a different player. He's not even the good that put up 50pts, he's added a new element(s) to his game, he's added grit and fearlessness.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My main concern with losing Cole isn't so much losing him, it's that Ruh and Hunwick shouldn't be regulars, and if we have two injuries on d we're really screwed.

I don't think Cole was a great defenseman, but he filled a role that no one else does on our blueline, and he seemingly made his partners look better for the most part.

But Brassard was just getting hot before the injury. He's a legit top 6 talent and could certainly be an x factor in the playoffs. You make that trade every day. We're certainly a more talented team post deadline. I actually kind of like our chances this year.

Ruhwedel is fine, but he is fine when he is rotated in, like today when he had a few days in the press box, he came back with more jump and fight in his game. I'd rather it was him and Corrado rotating in and out of the line-up. I'd rather have what Ruh brings and what Corrado brings over anything Hunwick thinks he brings when he tells his family about his day.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Sheary has also been getting to the front of the net and the dirty or "Greasy" areas to score goals. Today's goal was just nuts, sheer will and he never gave up. I will say this about Sheary, the guy may fall a ton and we may joke about that and his defense, but the guy is never lazy, he's always trying even though we want him to try with more effectiveness.

Today, or rather the last few games, he's just been a different player. He's not even the good that put up 50pts, he's added a new element(s) to his game, he's added grit and fearlessness.

Jake has added that too. He hits on the forecheck way better now. He’s not a heavy guy but the hits look pretty solid.

Sheary may get some tough match ups at times so if he starts being inconsistent he might go down the lines or scratched but the good thing is he responds well to that.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You know, it's a good thing we dumped Sheahan, he was never ever going to hit 30pts on this team, nuh-uh, no way no how Ma'am.
I said 35 points, not 30.

At least I didn't make fun of Murray when losing his father. That was in such poor taste man. Hopefully you'll grow from that. But probably not.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jake has added that too. He hits on the forecheck way better now. He’s not a heavy guy but the hits look pretty solid.

Sheary may get some tough match ups at times so if he starts being inconsistent he might go down the lines or scratched but the good thing is he responds well to that.

Jake has been doing it all season though, just that at some point that's all he focused on, he decided he'd try his hand at being a grinder since he couldn't hit the side of a barn or he'd do his best Tyler Kennedy chest snipe impersonation. Thank god he snapped out of that and was more consistent in the 2nd half. So with Jake that has been an all season thing which is great, next year when he adds some muscle, even 5lbs of muscle would go a long way with that prepubescent physique of his. That kid needs to add muscle and he will be a monster next year.

Sheary though, he just seemed to kind of hover near the net but not go directly into the lion's den the way Horny or Jake or every other winger (maybe not Phil so much) would. That's a new thing for him, a good new thing though!

Reactions: Tom Hanks

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Huge game by Kessel.

Malkin should be getting another assist for the Hornqvist goal, clearly touched that clearing attempt that went to Schultz.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
At least I didn't make fun of Murray when losing his father. That was in such poor taste man. Hopefully you'll grow from that.

No one made fun of Murray, if you want to make accusations, at least be accurate. If I have ever said anything about Murray it's that he's been inconsistent this year, should either take time off or sort out any problems he has with the death of his father, like take more time to grieve if he needs to but that loss is never going to not feel like a loss if you've ever lost anyone that close to you.

Or was it me making fun of him when I said he will either have that death ruin the season for him or he can use it as motivation to honor his father. If I made fun of him, it's him, not the death of his father. I may have been harsh about how much that has affected him, but never mockingly to poke fun.

Oh my, what a monster I am.

You pratt.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I said 35 points, not 30..
8DEBoaR.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No one made fun of Murray, if you want to make accusations, at least be accurate. If I have ever said anything about Murray it's that he's been inconsistent this year, should either take time off or sort out any problems he has with the death of his father, like take more time to grieve if he needs to but that loss is never going to not feel like a loss if you've ever lost anyone that close to you.

Or was it me making fun of him when I said he will either have that death ruin the season for him or he can use it as motivation to honor his father. If I made fun of him, it's him, not the death of his father. I may have been harsh about how much that has affected him, but never mockingly to poke fun.

Oh my, what a monster I am.

You pratt.
You were dissin him pretty good actually, not much compassion on your part. I myself lost my father so I feel for Murray, still do, not easy. But you're different I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad