Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Blue Jackets 4 (OT) - Playoff Phil Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hornqvist is so consistent over his entire career. Always around the 50 point mark (or on pace for) and is pretty much 50/50 in goals/points wise as a whole.

Patric Hornqvist hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Its crazy having him to go along with our big 3.

Id add Brassard as well but he hasnt been here long enough. We will see alot more from him next year and hope to re-sign him as well for a few more years. Adding him to apart of this core for the next handful of years .

Also expecting next year to be Guentzel's best season. Worked on his overall game all season, was even moved to 3rd line C and still put up decent numbers. He should have that all around game next season and big jump in points.

I think we can win it all this year, but next season we have a much greater chance imo. Had a huge turnover with the roster. Guys like Brassard, Sheahan, Oleksiak, ZAR, Simon will all be more experienced here..add Sprong as well. And Murray having a bounce back season.

Back to back champs and about to enter the playoffs with a chance at 3, while knowing we are still setup to contend for years after this. People really need to take this in and enjoy whats going on.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Sheary has also been getting to the front of the net and the dirty or "Greasy" areas to score goals. Today's goal was just nuts, sheer will and he never gave up. I will say this about Sheary, the guy may fall a ton and we may joke about that and his defense, but the guy is never lazy, he's always trying even though we want him to try with more effectiveness.

Today, or rather the last few games, he's just been a different player. He's not even the good that put up 50pts, he's added a new element(s) to his game, he's added grit and fearlessness.

Now add some muscle in the offseason. Something I still dont understand that hasnt happened already. Build up those legs so hes not so weak on the puck.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Kessel's concerned about his ironman streak, just dress him, give him a shift and put him on the bench for the rest of the game.
That's easier to do in a meaningless game. With home ice still at stake it'd be hard to do that. Besides, he looked good, the best he's looked in over month.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Now add some muscle in the offseason. Something I still dont understand that hasnt happened already. Build up those legs so hes not so weak on the puck.
I think he has, because he's not getting destroyed by hits as much as his rookie year, I swear he got obliterated twice and could have happened a lot more, 2 concussions from it too if I can remember correctly.

He just needs to keep getting stronger.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Kessel's concerned about his ironman streak, just dress him, give him a shift and put him on the bench for the rest of the game.
Phil is too much of a competitor. The playoffs are near, he's not going to sit to rest when he can build up momentum and get on a hot streak for the playoffs.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
That's easier to do in a meaningless game. With home ice still at stake it'd be hard to do that. Besides, he looked good, the best he's looked in over month.
Well, I mean, if he's healthy enough to play he's gonna play. But if he's hobbled to the point where Sully needs to step in and sit him, it's an option that sorta solves the ironman streak issue without putting him in any real danger of making things worse.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think he has, because he's not getting destroyed by hits as much as his rookie year, I swear he got obliterated twice and could have happened a lot more, 2 concussions from it too if I can remember correctly.

He just needs to keep getting stronger.

One concussion I think was from Hornqvist when the guy he tried to hit got out the way and Horny got Sheary right in the head.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well, I mean, if he's healthy enough to play he's gonna play. But if he's hobbled to the point where Sully needs to step in and sit him, it's an option that sorta solves the ironman streak issue without putting him in any real danger of making things worse.
I get your point, and if the Sens game was meaningless I actually thought of that scenario. Or just play him on the PP.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
One concussion I think was from Hornqvist when the guy he tried to hit got out the way and Horny got Sheary right in the head.

That stupid Stadium series, I think it was Manning that hit him when Sid ducked out of the way and Jake got destroyed from a high hit.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I legitimately don't understand that. We all know that professional athletes are idiots when it comes to playing through injuries. Sully's gotta put his foot down and say "Phil, you're sitting for a few because it's in both your and our best interest". Hell, bribe him by renting out the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile and letting him drive it on the ice like a Zamboni. That's the coach's job. Obviously, it's too late for that now with the playoffs about to start, but it should have happened.

I think Phil cackling his head off doing donuts in the Igloo parking lot in the Weinermobile is what we, as a country, need at the moment.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'd have thought the core would be more important for stability, no?

Either way, gotta think he's done pretty much all he can there and most likely the issue is there's only so much muscle you can pack on a little guy.

Sheary has 6 points in last 9 games (4g, 2a). Even made some really good defensive plays at times. Good for him

Liked the positioning and stickwork to break up a dangerous pass at about 4 minutes into the 2nd. He's not bad at everything defensively (at least when playing well), just he loses every board battle in his own zone.

Last edited:

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
What a game!

Kessel, man is there anyone that has a better wrist shot than that guy? It's like a lightning strike.

Sheary, what an effort on that goal. I almost feel bad wanting to trade him.....almost.

Horny, how man guys sign a big contract and THEN PLAY SO GOOD? He is just in beast mode. Really have found a new appreciation for him after last night.

Murray, wasn't awesome but made some key saves...hmmm feels like I have seen this before....

Reactions: Freedom

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Oh and I 1000000% do not play Murray in this game against Ottawa. I'd take a road game or a Caps series WITH Murray over a playoff series without him. Play DeSmith.

Yeah, they aren't going to do that with the chance to get home ice tonight.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Oh and I 1000000% do not play Murray in this game against Ottawa. I'd take a road game or a Caps series WITH Murray over a playoff series without him. Play DeSmith.

I think Murr needs to play. Home ice can be a big deal for this team out of the gate. Plus, he can use a confidence building game where gives up less than 3.

Reactions: PensandCaps

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Actually, I could see why this makes sense. Good chance for DeSmith to win one and get some game time before the POs start.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The team should be able to win this game with their backup. It wouldn't be bad to give Mur a night off. It wouldn't be bad to get DeSmith time just in case of emergency (which we needed in 2 straight Cup runs). I think it's a bad idea to start Mur.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The team should be able to win this game with their backup. It wouldn't be bad to give Mur a night off. It wouldn't be bad to get DeSmith time just in case of emergency (which we needed in 2 straight Cup runs). I think it's a bad idea to start Mur.

I'm cool with that too. You're right we will need both goalies at some point. I still wonder if DeSmith is the guy they want backing up. Can they still call up Jarry? Can't remember the rules on that.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm cool with that too. You're right we will need both goalies at some point. I still wonder if DeSmith is the guy they want backing up. Can they still call up Jarry? Can't remember the rules on that.

I hate the rules for the call ups. It makes no sense, so i imagine they cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->