Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Sabres 0 - ColePlay Had GDT Duties Until Further Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I believe the real reason is because Cole is a moderator, and I'd be surprised if they didn't frown on/disallow mods from ignoring posters. :laugh:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Yeah they get lazy. I mean I guess I expect it after a 3-0 start and a 4-0 2nd period that didn't deserve to be in their favor. But the one thing the Pens cannot seem to do is just keep focus for an entire game. It worked tonight because Jarry was awesome and Buffalo isn't, but that drop in focus is a difference between winning and losing against most teams.

They just can't seem to find it. Great start, though. They were terrific out of the gate.

They didn't last year either outside of a few games. I think it's just a function of the parity that exists in today's game.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
What does it change if Reaves destroys Kane's face tonight or tomorrow? He is going to take less.liberties because Reaves is dressed? That's bs, IMO.

You have been on Reaves all night. We get it; you are not a Reaves fan. The question becomes is your "IMO" (noted that the H is omitted) demonstrably supported by any member of the Pens’ organization that you may cite?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'm happy for Jarry getting the shutout and he really earned it. The Sabres are a mess but they still had numerous high quality chances and Jarry shut the door.

Nice to see Guentzel and Crosby heating up.

Tough situation with Cole. You can see he brings a different skill set to the defense with his grit and physicality but he'll also be UFA and we have no shot to re-sign him. It'll be interesting to see what JR decides to do.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You have been on Reaves all night. We get it; you are not a Reaves fan. The question becomes is your "IMO" (noted that the H is omitted) demonstrably supported by any member of the Pens’ organization that you may cite?

So, in your.opinion, what does.Reaves bring? To me, absolutely nothing. He is not a major nuisance, but, to me, he doesn't add any value.

Reactions: canadianguy77

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I believe the real reason is because Cole is a moderator, and I'd be surprised if they didn't frown on/disallow mods from ignoring posters. :laugh:

That's not a rule at all. That's for sure. We are all volunteers who wanted to give back to a site that we have to discuss hockey. I'm coming up on 10 years of discussing hockey here. Some of our vets were here prior to the original merger in 2002. It's awesome. I want to preserve that until it's final day. That's why I do what I do. I have a normal job and this is all volunteer.

So there's that. :laugh:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
That's not a rule at all. That's for sure. We are all volunteers who wanted to give back to a site that we have to discuss hockey. I'm coming up on 10 years of discussing hockey here. Some of our vets were here prior to the original merger in 2002. It's awesome. I want to preserve that until it's final day. That's why I do what I do. I have a normal job and this is all volunteer.

So there's that. :laugh:

Stop making me feel old with that 2002 shit. It reminds me that I have literally been here for half my life :laugh:

Reactions: ColePens

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

Why are you a "Reaves" fan?

Feel free to add something of substance for the rest of us. Something that you think makes the "team" better because of his addition.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Thankfully GMJR didn't push harder to acquire Russell a couple of years ago otherwise Jarry may not have gotten his shutout.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Good team effort. Jarry looked solid. I'm more of a fan of the way Murray plays goal, but Jarry has that flair to his game. I'm really hoping the coaches just ride with him until Murray comes back. If he can keep the roll going, that's a ton of confidence for a really young goaltender.

I thought Cole had an outstanding game.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hard time are when @Ogrezilla goes sweatpants shopping, and nothing is on sale.

Why would you ever pay full price? Somewhere always has shit on sale.

Now that we've discussed the game, can we discuss Ogre vs. ColePens GQ Edition? Ogre represents Walmart's best. Cole represents Gucci. :sarcasm:
giphy.gif

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
HELL YEAH BOYS!!!!

Nice win. I dont care if Buffalo sucks. We sucked lately.

Like everyone says, roll on this and build momentum!

Also, what is this fashion crap?

This is my daily uniform (sub in a Pens shirt, or something with a cat):
agent-orange-punk-rock-band-music-tshirt.jpg

Duluth-Trading-Company-Mens-Dry-Shorts.jpg

31cx0X08zcL.jpg

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I think Buffalo needs a culture change. I just get the impression that multiple of their best players have bad attitude issues. The pens seem very diligent in evaluating character, which is why I suspect that Kane would never be on GMJR's radar. Speaking of Reaves in relation.... he does have a positive attitude, and a willingness to refine his craft and attempt to get better every day (even if he doesn't). While I'm not sure that justifies granting him a line up spot over Archibald, Sprong, or whomever you want to debate, those are positives that he does bring to the team. I think those qualities are underrated by fans, since the effects show more in practice when everyone is upbeat and working hard with smiles. Steve Mears was talking about how sullen the Sabres practice was this morning. Obviously the past few games wears on them, but still. A little positivity helps. I agree that he shouldn't be in every night. I'd like to see maybe 2/3rds of the time, ideally. But I do think he was a good pick up, and trading a late round first for a mid second for him doesn't really bother me.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Buffalo is just ... special. They're not a contender, by any means. But they also shouldn't be this bad. They have enough talent, at least up front, to at least be a .500 hockey club. They shouldn't be battling for last in the entire league.

In any case, good to see Jarry get the shutout. With Murray out, we're going to need Jarry to play like a legitimate NHL starter, and so far he's off to a good start.

Also nice to see Sid starting to heat up. Hopefully his slump is behind him and we see vintage Sid for the remaining 55 games.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Didn't Geno say something to the effect of "I don't need an enforcer, I can handle myself. Reaves needs to score goals"? Maybe I'm making that up, I don't even remember. :laugh:

I think he did say something like that, but I think he wasn't totally serious...

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Buffalo is a mess.

The team is paying out of pocket 800K for the next 10 years on an Ehrhoff buyout + 1.2mil for the next two years for the Leino buyout.

The team is pretty much paying a salaray cap hit of 800K for four of the next five years for Hodgson buyout.

These are not decisions good management makes.

Know how many stupid and ridiculous buyouts the Pens have, either on or off the salary cap books? None.

Reactions: Badfish87

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Yep. A goalie controversy, or "contriversey" as you put it with a goalie who just won 2 Stanley Cups to start his career. You did it!

Well, to be fair... if Jarry were to oust Murray and somehow win a cup we could have the distinction of winning 3 in a row with a rookie goaltender

Reactions: ETA

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
BUF has a decent F group but they play collectively like Eichel. Always found he plays pretty meh and looks like he'd rather be playing pond hockey than the NHL stuff. It's all about forming good habits with good coaching.
Think Housley is just sorta overwhelmed there and needs some help like a former ex-Head Coach running his F's. PIT did it with J. Martin. Others are doing it as well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And he won't respond tomorrow unless we have a big lead or trail by 3 or 4. So, basically, having.Reaves serves no purpose.

If Crosby's getting Dubinsky'd you can bet he won't wait until we're down by 3 to do anything.

Anybody who thinks we got Reaves for any other reason hasn't been paying attention. For those who have forgotten (or not pieced together) the aftermath of the Niskanen cheap shot, here it is...

May 29, 2017...right after we finished the Caps series, where Niskanen nearly sidelined Crosby with his targeted abuse and the league did nothing:

I hear year after year how the league and everyone loves how the Penguins play,” said Penguins GM Jim Rutherford. “ ‘They play pure hockey and they skate.’ Well, now it’s going to have to change and I feel bad about it, but it’s the only way we can do it. We’re going to have to get one or two guys…and some of these games that should be just good hockey games will turn into a sh—show. We’ll go right back to where we were in the ’70s and it’s really a shame.”

“I’ve watched it ever since I got here almost every game,” Rutherford said. “[Crosby] gets this on a regular basis. Some of the stuff that goes on on a regular basis, it’s really disgusting.”

The league has got to fix it,” Rutherford said. “In other leagues, they protect star players. In basketball, they don’t let their top players get abused. And in our league, well the thing I keep hearing is, ‘That’s hockey. That’s hockey,’ No, it’s not.

Penguins expect Crosby abuse to continue, but they're growing tired of it | The Hockey News

“On both a personal and professional level, I think the world of Jim Rutherford,” said Bettman. “The timing of what he said seems a little odd. That’s something you do at a GMs meeting, not the day of Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final. Maybe he’s trying to tweak the officials a little bit,” said Bettman, with an literal wink.

Gary Bettman downplays Sidney Crosby 'abuse' in playoffs

June 23, 2017...days after we won the Cup:

"When you want to get the guy that's the best at doing what he does, then you have to pay a price," Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford said. "Regardless of what we paid, we're very happy to have him."

Ryan Reaves traded to Penguins by Blues

Reaves is here for one reason. When he stops performing that job well, then people can complain that he's not doing anything. Until then, it's unjustified.

Whatever you choose to believe, I suppose.

Kane tried to brain Rust. Is Reaves' impact only relegated to shots against Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin?

It would be pretty dumb to get suspended for the 2nd half of a back-to-back against a cheap-shotting bottom feeder over a tweener taking a few shots. Where exactly in JR's impassioned statement did he say he was livid about the Bryan Rusts of our team taking so much heat?

Reaves is a nuke...you don't use him to settle a single complementary player skirmish when the consequence is losing him for tomorrow. You use some discretion and save him for what we actually got him for. How would you feel if Reaves was sent to the press box for defending Rust's honor, then Ristolainen cross-checked Crosby in the neck with impunity all tomorrow evening? Because that's what we're really trying to avoid.

Last edited:

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
^True. Right or wrong, if Rust breaks his hand in a fight or gets hit into an injury...is it really the franchise success at stake? It is different if that happens to our...super talented...players.

I really feel that taking the high road and continuing to say things similar to:

''Look, we play the game the way it needs to be played, the way it is supposed to be played....we play the game in a way that the kids out there can emulate and look up to a team having success the right way and rising above cheap shots and dirty plays and hang their hat upon skill, teamwork, and determination as the measure for success.

Other teams, other players, and the league as a whole, they will have to rest with the decisions they have made on the ice. the way they bend the rules. The way they want to break the spirit of the game. But we can rest each night knowing we did the the right way."

It would probably result in dead players for us though. And most people probably wouldn't care about what it meant. So here we are. Playing down to the Neanderthals of hockey again. I'd also imagine Bettman having closed door meetings about disparaging the league too, if the Pens and Pens players really went hardline 'clean' hockey like that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yes.. it's the site that is low budget. That's why your autocorrect doesn't work. Oh wait.. that's not how cellphones work, either. Similar to you not knowing how the NHL works, you don't know how autocorrect on the phone works. When i'm on mobile, my misspelled words either autocorrect or they have little lines under them to warn me that "Sabres" is not spelled like that. And I tell Android - go tell that to Buffalo.

I digress. Once again... you are wrong. :laugh:
I have him on ignore but I get the sense you're replying to Pen x. And if it is, I promise I'll stop laughing when I get teary eyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad