OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

It’s going to be interesting to see how ownership proceeds with their plans. We’ve already seen public pushback about taxpayer funded arenas/stadiums in Alexandria, Chicago, and Kansas City
It's an armpit and an eyesore, but, man, it breaks my heart for that place to be wiped. I grew up in that stadium between the Redskins, the Diplomats (NASL, baby!), Cracker Jack Old Timers games, and, later, the return of baseball to DC. Would be perfectly fitting for that to be the place where our team returns to our city.

good read. he was on the plane after being drafted studying the playbook and practicing his footwork

I think he can be a very special player
Yeah, just read that.

Other big themes: leadership and hard work. Football junkie.

Sep 19, 2008
They said Jayden had character issues; that he was upset at topgolf

"Peters also liked that Daniels had the pass code changed at an LSU facility so he could enter after hours for more work. He also organized 5 a.m. workouts with his receivers; Washington's officials were impressed that he could cajole his teammates to attend at that hour. That, one source said, resonated as much as anything with Peters."

This young man is "him"

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

"Peters also liked that Daniels had the pass code changed at an LSU facility so he could enter after hours for more work. He also organized 5 a.m. workouts with his receivers; Washington's officials were impressed that he could cajole his teammates to attend at that hour. That, one source said, resonated as much as anything with Peters."

This young man is "him"
I think that reinforces that it wasn't just him being the product of having great receivers -- they all worked hard together and they all made each other better.

(Now, if only LSU's defense had had the 5 a.m. code...)

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
It's an armpit and an eyesore, but, man, it breaks my heart for that place to be wiped. I grew up in that stadium between the Redskins, the Diplomats (NASL, baby!), Cracker Jack Old Timers games, and, later, the return of baseball to DC. Would be perfectly fitting for that to be the place where our team returns to our city.

Yeah, just read that.

Other big themes: leadership and hard work. Football junkie.
Can't they just rebuild where RFK is?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Can't they just rebuild where RFK is?
The have to demo the old site first. The new stadium could end up being on that site, but the old stadium is way to antique to just refurbish it. There is actually a site across the river from Nationals stadium ( I think @usiel or someone posted it) that would be ideal for a new stadium with good freeway access and already has a Metro stop.

Anacostia Park is the area.

Annotation 2024-05-03 111234.jpg

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The have to demo the old site first. The new stadium could end up being on that site, but the old stadium is way to antique to just refurbish it. There is actually a site across the river from Nationals stadium ( I think @usiel or someone posted it) that would be ideal for a new stadium with good freeway access and already has a Metro stop.

Anacostia Park is the area.

View attachment 864152
So that will replace a current park? Like an actual park? Or is it just a wooded area that isn’t in use?

I haven’t been there in some 30yrs — so I cannot remember!

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So that will replace a current park? Like an actual park? Or is it just a wooded area that isn’t in use?

I haven't been there either, and the area isn't being talked about a lot, so I really don't know. But there isn't a single space in DC (apart from RFK site) which is just sitting around waiting for construction. I do know that Anacostia Park spans all the way from Suitland Pkwy up to Benning Rd, so a stadium is not going to consume the entire park.

I just hope they don't look for something way out in the boonies of VA or the existing Fed Ex site. It should be in DC.

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

It's definitely a park in use.

It's also right next to the where they just spent about 4-5 years completely re-doing the S.Cap St. bridge. Game days would look like any weekday at rush hour.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

This young man is "him"
seems like Peters is trying a little too hard to justify the pick , if JD busts and Maye becomes elite no one's going to give Peters a free pass because ''he had no choice but to draft JD because he had the pass code changed so he could workout with his WR's at 5am"

and why did they have to change the pass codes , what's the difference with just giving him the codes they were using ?

Reactions: Neil Racki

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
seems like Peters is trying a little too hard to justify the pick , if JD busts and Maye becomes elite no one's going to give Peters a free pass because ''he had no choice but to draft JD because he had the pass code changed so he could workout with his WR's at 5am"

and why did they have to change the pass codes , what's the difference with just giving him the codes they were using ?
Seems like maybe Peters is just making up for the people trying a little too hard to not get over the fact that we didn't pick the inferior quarterback.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Seems like maybe Peters is just making up for the people trying a little too hard to not get over the fact that we didn't pick the inferior quarterback.
naw it's just people like yourself who think it doesn't matter who becomes the better QB we had no choice but to pick JD because um reasons but you shouldn't worry about the pick because your job isn't on the line

overall i think Peters has done a solid job so far but he isn't going to be perfect and he was also part of the mgmt team that thought it was a great idea to give up a shit ton of draft capital to trade up for Lance at num 3 who was also supposed to be a special duel threat QB

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
naw it's just people like yourself who think it doesn't matter who becomes the better QB we had no choice but to pick JD because um reasons but you shouldn't worry about the pick because your job isn't on the line

overall i think Peters has done a solid job so far but he isn't going to be perfect and he was also part of the mgmt team that thought it was a great idea to give up a shit ton of draft capital to trade up for Lance at num 3 who was also supposed to be a special duel threat QB
Wow, that is a deeply lazy and dishonest post. It does matter who will be better -- and it will likely be Daniels, because he's already mastered most of the skills Maye hasn't learned yet. And to act like the videos and the statistics and the testimonies from scouts and experts count as "um reasons" is sad.

Almost the entire league thinks Daniels is better. Most of the league would have drafted Daniels instead of Maye. And some would have taken him over CW. You're the one who keeps coming here to complain that almost NOBODY who knows the game intimately likes your guy better.

They. Know. Better. Than. You.

Get over it.

(And by the way -- even if they had taken Maye, the pick still would have been made the same guy involved in the Lance trade. But then, of course, you'd have been fine with it.)

Reactions: kicksavedave

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Wow, that is a deeply lazy and dishonest post. It does matter who will be better -- and it will likely be Daniels, because he's already mastered most of the skills Maye hasn't learned yet. And to act like the videos and the statistics and the testimonies from scouts and experts count as "um reasons" is sad.

Almost the entire league thinks Daniels is better. Most of the league would have drafted Daniels instead of Maye. And some would have taken him over CW. You're the one who keeps coming here to complain that almost NOBODY who knows the game intimately likes your guy better.

They. Know. Better. Than. You.

Get over it.

(And by the way -- even if they had taken Maye, the pick still would have been made the same guy involved in the Lance trade. But then, of course, you'd have been fine with it.)
lazy and dishonest post ?

my original post that you responded to wasn't ''whining'' it simply stated that it doesn't matter why Peters selected JD , all that matters is he picked the right guy and if he didn't no amount of stories about how he had to select him because he got the codes changed (still no idea why he would have needed to do that) will change the fact he f***ed up

also no idea why your so touchy that everyone doesn't agree with you and i don't give a damn who had the better season last year , i care who has the higher upside unlike yourself who it seems is fixated on that that like it proves something , you should check out Lances stats to see how great his last yr in college was or many other busts stats for that matter

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
lazy and dishonest post ?

my original post that you responded to wasn't ''whining'' it simply stated that it doesn't matter why Peters selected JD , all that matters is he picked the right guy and if he didn't no amount of stories about how he had to select him because he got the codes changed (still no idea why he would have needed to do that) will change the fact he f***ed up

also no idea why your so touchy that everyone doesn't agree with you and i don't give a damn who had the better season last year , i care who has the higher upside unlike yourself who it seems is fixated on that that like it proves something , you should check out Lances stats to see how great his last yr in college was or many other busts stats for that matter
Go ahead and pretend you didn't type the bolded sentence in your OP. And nobody needs to agree with me -- it's just sad that there's one person still complaining because his guy didn't get taken. (And even if they hadn't taken JD they still wouldn't have taken your guy.)

In any event, it doesn't matter -- the professionals who do this for a living made the right choice. We've got the better QB -- not just this year, but likely over their respective careers.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
They only got one serious offer for the 2nd pick and it wasn't enough.

Not surprised -- they were pretty clear all along that they were going to stick with the pick. And once we essentially traded Howell for Mariotta, that should have removed any doubt that might have still been lingering.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
In any event, it doesn't matter -- the professionals who do this for a living made the right choice. We've got the better QB -- not just this year, but likely over their respective careers.
Really? We know they made the right choice already? How do we know that?

I have no problem with the idea that Daniels is the better player right now. But after 5 years of college I would expect him to be better than someone who only played 3 years. So yes if the object was to have the best QB in year 1 I would agree with you. But that isn’t the objective.

When it is time to pick up their 5th year option, I think Maye is going to be the better player by a decent amount. I guess we’ll see though.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Really? We know they made the right choice already? How do we know that?

I have no problem with the idea that Daniels is the better player right now. But after 5 years of college I would expect him to be better than someone who only played 3 years. So yes if the object was to have the best QB in year 1 I would agree with you. But that isn’t the objective.

When it is time to pick up their 5th year option, I think Maye is going to be the better player by a decent amount. I guess we’ll see though.
We made the right pick. The guy who has the much higher floor, maybe a higher ceiling, and a bigger challenge for defenses. Maye could be the better player by 5th year option time, but he probably won't be. He's got a lot more to overcome to be able to get there,

We could have gotten dewey over a guy who has the prototype build and had one great season and one good season against AA-level competition. But we kept our heads and drafted the guy who's already demonstrated he can step out to meet the challenge of better coaching, better systems, and better competition.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
We made the right pick. The guy who has the much higher floor, maybe a higher ceiling, and a bigger challenge for defenses. Maye could be the better player by 5th year option time, but he probably won't be. He's got a lot more to overcome to be able to get there,

We could have gotten dewey over a guy who has the prototype build and had one great season and one good season against AA-level competition. But we kept our heads and drafted the guy who's already demonstrated he can step out to meet the challenge of better coaching, better systems, and better competition.
doesn't matter how many times you keep repeating we took the right player doesn't make it true , you post like JD has already proven he's the better player in the NFL when the fact obviously is neither has played a game yet

Maye has the higher upside and less to overcome due to having all the tools including being very mobile . JD had one great year on a stacked offense in his 5th year in college , hopefully for our sake he isn't a one year wonder .

Sep 19, 2008
Got into an argument online about JD being a "dual threat" QB, guy basically told me dual threat QBs do not win titles, and that we would be drafting again in 2 years.

Let the fans have some fun, f***. True, durability is a concern, but if we could at least have 3 years of Lamar Lite I would be fine with it. Already it would be better than anything we have seen since 2012.

Also, "Dual Threat" QB's "don't win titles" but Lamar was a few minutes away from going to the SB. Must have missed this past season.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Got into an argument online about JD being a "dual threat" QB, guy basically told me dual threat QBs do not win titles, and that we would be drafting again in 2 years.

Let the fans have some fun, f***. True, durability is a concern, but if we could at least have 3 years of Lamar Lite I would be fine with it. Already it would be better than anything we have seen since 2012.

Also, "Dual Threat" QB's "don't win titles" but Lamar was a few minutes away from going to the SB. Must have missed this past season.
interesting fact about people comparing JD to Lamar is the latter was winning a NFL mvp at an age when JD was still in college

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad