Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Kings 3 (OT) - The Quintessential 2018 Penguins Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What's funny is the coaching staff literally said they have a capable D in Riikola the moment they knew they didn't have Letang.

Guess he gets "no love" though.
And yet he doesn't play over guys like Maatta, Oleksiak and JJ.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
So Garret freaking Wilson had more EV Time than Brassard. Horrible bench management. Idc how bad Brassard looks or how invisble he is. Wilson shouldn't even be in the lineup, let alone playing more than a top 6 F in Brassard.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I guarantee that isn't coming from the coaching staff. Figured you'd realize that with your "connections".
It's coming from the coaching staff far more than anyone else if that's what you're getting at.

Suppose you ''enlighten'' me on how you can guarantee that?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'm not saying that. But I think this team could be just as good or maybe better without as crazy as that sounds. I think it's no coincidence MM actually has a great game when the defense kept everything in front for the most part and he didn't see a bunch of breakaways or odd man rushes.

And you think Letang is the reason for the Odd man rushes and not the 4 Bottom pairing Dmen?

What a Hot take,

The Pens would be better without their best player so far this year.

Astounding analysis. Lol.

The Pens who need Good Dmen, would be better without arguably the best Dman in the NHL this year.....according to you.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Was at a holiday party watching the game. I felt it was more of the same. Defense is bad. Murray was good! Thought ZAR, Rust, Sid, Kess once again are very consistent. Also very happy for Pearson.

Very happy but really a rinse and repeat of our issues all year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's coming from the coaching staff far more than anyone else if that's what you're getting at.

Suppose you ''enlighten'' me on how you can guarantee that?

Our GM gave Oleksiak and Johnson 3 and 5 year deals respectively. If you don't think that plays into their usage your kidding yourself.

Let me see the playoff roster when Sullivan's coaching to win or when we get closer to February. Guarantee Oleksiak is riding the pine as hard as Hunwick was.

It was why Cole was an easy target last year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The biggest thing(positively) is the depth is coming thru atm and were without 2 top 9'ers.
That continues + get them back + G/Phil get in gear + JR bolsters the D...
Anything can happen.
My main worry is the goaltending longer term.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
How tf was Jusso sitting. He clearly sets himself apart from everyone with his skating and isn't soft.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Our GM gave Oleksiak and Johnson 3 and 5 year deals respectively. If you don't think that plays into their usage your kidding yourself.

Let me see the playoff roster when Sullivan's coaching to win or when we get closer to February. Guarantee Oleksiak is riding the pine as hard as Hunwick was.

It was why Cole was an easy target last year.
Playing Riikola over Oleksiak for a game or two wouldn't spell disaster even in light of the contract extensions. Maatta was scratched for a game, so if Sully can justify that he sure as hell can most assuredly do so in scratching one of the other two.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Its nice to get 2 points, but it was a pretty even game against a bad team.

Murray didn't play bad, but he looks like the same goalie that we have seen for the past year and a half.

Bad goalies have good games, that's how i felt about Murray tonight.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Murray didn't play bad, but he looks like the same goalie that we have seen for the past year and a half.

I was hoping angles, crease depth, and just overall solidity in his position would have been improved after a month off. I think this is just the new reality. Team in front needs to score 4+ a game.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How tf was Jusso sitting. He clearly sets himself apart from everyone with his skating and isn't soft.

I cannot believe there is more outrage on this. :laugh: I feel it is identical to how Despres was treated. And Rik plays almost similar to Despres, too. He plays a solid game but makes maaaaaybe 1 or 2 questionable plays. One example I can point out is when he holds the puck a bit too long in the neutral looking for a pass when he should just dump it in. But these are insanely small nitpick items as opposed to an Oleksiak in the d-zone or f***ing Maatta EVERYWHERE. I mean I don't get it. I like the kid a lot. I like how he plays and it fits our style. It makes no sense why he's not getting a jersey each night. No sense.

And this isn't a Despres post or a Sprong post, but it really irritates me how coaches just nitpick some but not others. I know they don't hate Riikola like the organization hated Despres for whatever dumb reason. And it's nowhere near the weirdness of Sully hating Sprong. But it's definitely up there. The kid deserves minutes. Especially on a team where the f***ing defense is BRUTAL. You get gifted a kid who fits the mold for absolutely nothing. Use him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Murray stopped 38 of 41 shots. If that's the "same goalie that we have seen for the past year and a half", Murray would be in the Vezina conversation, not having a sub-.900 save%.

I cannot believe there is more outrage on this. :laugh: I feel it is identical to how Despres was treated. And Rik plays almost similar to Despres, too. He plays a solid game but makes maaaaaybe 1 or 2 questionable plays. One example I can point out is when he holds the puck a bit too long in the neutral looking for a pass when he should just dump it in. But these are insanely small nitpick items as opposed to an Oleksiak in the d-zone or ****ing Maatta EVERYWHERE. I mean I don't get it. I like the kid a lot. I like how he plays and it fits our style. It makes no sense why he's not getting a jersey each night. No sense.

And this isn't a Despres post or a Sprong post, but it really irritates me how coaches just nitpick some but not others. I know they don't hate Riikola like the organization hated Despres for whatever dumb reason. And it's nowhere near the weirdness of Sully hating Sprong. But it's definitely up there. The kid deserves minutes. Especially on a team where the ****ing defense is BRUTAL. You get gifted a kid who fits the mold for absolutely nothing. Use him.

Idk, it seems pretty clear to me with Riikola's situation. They like him, but they just think they have 6 better defenseman than him. There's nothing wrong with that, a player getting scratched doesn't mean the coach hates them. They just like their other options a little bit more than Riikola. There's nothing wrong with that, I may disagree with it, but they're not treating him super unfairly. He's just viewed as the #8 defensemen when everyone is healthy.

Reactions: pi314

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Murray stopped 38 of 41 shots. If that's the "same goalie that we have seen for the past year and a half", Murray would be in the Vezina conversation, not having a sub-.900 save%.

What if the saves a goalie makes are less important
philosoraptor.jpg

than the types of goals they give up?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
But you're saying he won't be scratched cause of the new contract.

No, I'm saying that he is going to get a lot more rope from the coaching staff than the fanbase would give him.

I think Johnson, Maatta and Oleksiak should be shot to the moon. But, Sullivan isn't at fault for playing them. Rutherford is at fault for assembling this crew of 2009 defensemen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What if the saves a goalie makes are less important than the types of goals they give up?

Murray could take a dump in the crease every night and I wouldn't care if he's stopping 38 of 41 shots. He can let in 200 foot goals and I wouldn't give a damn, all that matters is the results. "Types of goals", no, there are no "types of goals". It's either the puck goes in or it doesn't :laugh:

I'm not going to complain about Murray if he's stopping 92% of shots he's facing, regardless of whether he's giving up bad goals. It seems extremely easy to me, I don't know why people think bad goals suddenly count for more than other goals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I cannot believe there is more outrage on this. :laugh: I feel it is identical to how Despres was treated. And Rik plays almost similar to Despres, too. He plays a solid game but makes maaaaaybe 1 or 2 questionable plays. One example I can point out is when he holds the puck a bit too long in the neutral looking for a pass when he should just dump it in. But these are insanely small nitpick items as opposed to an Oleksiak in the d-zone or ****ing Maatta EVERYWHERE. I mean I don't get it. I like the kid a lot. I like how he plays and it fits our style. It makes no sense why he's not getting a jersey each night. No sense.

And this isn't a Despres post or a Sprong post, but it really irritates me how coaches just nitpick some but not others. I know they don't hate Riikola like the organization hated Despres for whatever dumb reason. And it's nowhere near the weirdness of Sully hating Sprong. But it's definitely up there. The kid deserves minutes. Especially on a team where the ****ing defense is BRUTAL. You get gifted a kid who fits the mold for absolutely nothing. Use him.

I think it is important to see how the season progresses. I think judging by Sullivan's comments and his immediacy to rely pretty heavy on him when he is in the line-up they like him, but it is also only a couple months into the season. Wouldn't be surprised to see Riikola as a regular come February. If he isn't I'm full train ahead in ripping the coaching staff if he continues to play like this.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Like i said bad goalies have good games.

He was set up to succeed tonight by Sully, Murray got to play against the worst team with the worst offense.

BTW the only reason Murray's save percentage wasn't under 900 tonight is because of the offside goal.

Breaks like that aren't going to happen very often.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Murray looked pretty good to me. Wasnt making "lucky" saves and the ones he let in weren't exactly bad.

I'm pretty confident goaltending won't be our downfall this year. It'll most assuredly be our transition game unless our GM does something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad