Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Kings 3 (OT) - The Quintessential 2018 Penguins Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Oleksiak has been scratched for multiple games this season..?

Same thing as with the Sprong/ZAR/Simon thing. The issue isn't that Sullivan isn't playing a young player... it's that he's playing the wrong one, because the one(s) he's playing is not some of the fans favorites. In this case, Pettersson was traded for, so they sat Riikola to give MP some looks... he came in and played well enough to keep getting looks. Which means Riikola will just have to be patent and wait things out.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Malkin needs to get his head out of his ass. That changes the whole team dynamic. Can't tell if he isn't trying hard enough or trying too hard. Looks so awkward.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Murray stopped 38 of 41 shots. If that's the "same goalie that we have seen for the past year and a half", Murray would be in the Vezina conversation, not having a sub-.900 save%.

Idk, it seems pretty clear to me with Riikola's situation. They like him, but they just think they have 6 better defenseman than him. There's nothing wrong with that, a player getting scratched doesn't mean the coach hates them. They just like their other options a little bit more than Riikola. There's nothing wrong with that, I may disagree with it, but they're not treating him super unfairly. He's just viewed as the #8 defensemen when everyone is healthy.

Every time I read your posts, I find my head nodding in agreement.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I know that we ended up scoring but Maatta on the PP in OT? Seriously?

I usually defend Geno but this time I can't. Awful, awful performance. It's like he is moving in slow motion. If he is injured, sit him. If not, I don't know, pray he pulls his head out of his ass.

It's incredible how few points Sid has had in the last several games, considering how well he has played. But very encouraging that we find ways to win with Sid and Geno not being on score sheet much. Now, if we could only make it so that not every victory look a mighty struggle, that would be swell. Unlikely to happen with all those injuries, though, so ugly wins are fine by me for now.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
The goal was a legit goal.

The offside by a foot was what was illegal.

The good thing is that Murray will get to play in more games, we will get to see how he does.
Not sure your takeaway last night should be a negative on Murray’s performance when the goals were mostly on the defense.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
I know that we ended up scoring but Maatta on the PP in OT? Seriously?

I usually defend Geno but this time I can't. Awful, awful performance. It's like he is moving in slow motion. If he is injured, sit him. If not, I don't know, pray he pulls his head out of his ass.

It's incredible how few points Sid has had in the last several games, considering how well he has played. But very encouraging that we find ways to win with Sid and Geno not being on score sheet much. Now, if we could only make it so that not every victory look a mighty struggle, that would be swell. Unlikely to happen with all those injuries, though, so ugly wins are fine by me for now.

Who else do you want Sullivan to send out there in that situation? Letang and Schultz are both injured and Maatta is a better choice on the PP than Johnson, Oleksiak, Dumo. I wouldn’t blame him for not yet trusting Riikola or Pettersson as the one dman on the ice in OT, either.

Reactions: Captain Hook

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Letang and Schultz are both injured and Maatta is a better choice on the PP than Johnson, Oleksiak, Dumo. I wouldn’t blame him for not yet trusting Riikola or Pettersson as the one dman on the ice in OT, either.

How exactly is Maatta a better choice? No goalie in the NHL has even the slightest fear of Maatta's shot and his passing isn't that good either. He is also our slowest defenceman. Oleksiak can actually score goals from the point from time to time, Johnson's shot is wildly inaccurate usually but potentially more of a threat as well. Why should Riikola and Petterson be trusted less in OT than Maatta who is much slower? I think he is sometimes criticized too much for his defensive play, don't get me wrong, but he shouldn't play on the PP unless we have like six other injured defencemen and even then a forward would probably be a better choice.

Not that the PP isn't a hot mess even when Letang is there, but still. :)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sorry I missed this game and Sprong’s revival in ANA....it looks like we’re trading Geno again ... Chicago or LA? I hear he’d really love to play with Kane....

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Fordy

May 28, 2008

I think we all think Riikola should be playing above Oleksiak.

We also don't have to deal with a GM who is getting harassed by his owner about why 3 million or 20 million dollars is setting in the press box eating popcorn.

It is easy to make decisions and judgements on a business when you have no financial repercussions.

Like I said. Let's see what the D looks like in February. Then we can start criticizing Sullivan's choices. We've got points in like 9 of the last 11 games right?
i thought the team was focused on putting the best lineup on the ice every night. suddenly we readily admit it’s all about money when it’s a different player

save the “poor nhl coaches and GMs” crap, i don’t feel sorry for them

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
How exactly is Maatta a better choice? No goalie in the NHL has even the slightest fear of Maatta's shot and his passing isn't that good either. He is also our slowest defenceman. Oleksiak can actually score goals from the point from time to time, Johnson's shot is wildly inaccurate usually but potentially more of a threat as well. Why should Riikola and Petterson be trusted less in OT than Maatta who is much slower? I think he is sometimes criticized too much for his defensive play, don't get me wrong, but he shouldn't play on the PP unless we have like six other injured defencemen and even then a forward would probably be a better choice.

Not that the PP isn't a hot mess even when Letang is there, but still. :)

The PP option isn’t about the defenseman’s shot in that situation. In OT, when you have Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel on the ice, you need a defenseman you can trust to make the right play with the puck. Maatta’s issues are related to his lack of speed, not decision making, and he’s capable of moving and distributing the puck, unlike Johnson and Oleksiak. Riikola has been burnt on many occasions, so I can understand a lack of trust until he learns when the right opportunities to pinch are. And frankly, again, Maatta is much better at distributing the puck. Petterson just joined the team and Sullivan isn’t as familiar with him.

Maatta gets shit on a lot here because he lacks the speed to fit into the Pens’ style of play over the past 3 years, and our defense is ass. But he sticks out like a sore thumb in regard to his speed, so he’s an easy scapegoat. He’s still a good defenseman in a lot of ways, and it will show when he is in the right fit. Not sure where you get that he’s not a good passer.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Was at a holiday party watching the game. I felt it was more of the same. Defense is bad. Murray was good! Thought ZAR, Rust, Sid, Kess once again are very consistent. Also very happy for Pearson.

Very happy but really a rinse and repeat of our issues all year.

I thought Pearson looked better two games ago after he was moved away from Malkin and then Crosby after a period or so. He seems more willing to hold onto the puck and relaxed maybe? I dunno what it is...seems like in a small sample size it looks like he doesn’t feel pressured to quickly move the puck to a star like Crosby, Malkin or Kessel.

ZAR I’m still seeing the same things that bothered me since last year when I first watched him. Does all the little things without the puck coaches like, but can’t win board battles or make clean, simple passes. I see zero synergy between him and his linemates, no matter where he plays.

He’s doing exactly what concerned me about him... being mostly a ghost, then having one nice game every so often to dummy the coaching staff. He has to make dramatic improvement with his board skills and ability to process the game with the puck on his stick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Only 7 points behind Warshington is pretty amazing considering the team’s performance and the doom and gloom of the boards.

It’s weird Washington was really bad when Kuzy went down.

Almost like us being pretty mediocre when losing Crosby, Hornqvist, Schultz and Letang now over the last month and a half.

Can’t figure it out..

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
i thought the team was focused on putting the best lineup on the ice every night. suddenly we readily admit it’s all about money when it’s a different player

save the “poor nhl coaches and GMs” crap, i don’t feel sorry for them

No the coach is about getting us in the playoff picture and winning.

We have been doing that a lot since Nov. 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad