Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Kings 3 (OT) - The Quintessential 2018 Penguins Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No, I'm saying that he is going to get a lot more rope from the coaching staff than the fanbase would give him.

I think Johnson, Maatta and Oleksiak should be shot to the moon. But, Sullivan isn't at fault for playing them. Rutherford is at fault for assembling this crew of 2009 defensemen.
And if Riikola is outperforming any one of them he should be in the line up. I don't think him playing over any of those guys is gonna send out an alarm throughout the team. Contract extension or otherwise. It may be an issue if say one of them was benched for 10 games in a row, but short of something like that I don't see that being a determining factor. Maybe the Coach isn't as enamored with Riikola as some here are. I think that's far more the issue.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And if Riikola is outperforming any one of them he should be in the line up. I don't think him playing over any of those guys is gonna send out an alarm throughout the team. Contract extension or otherwise. It may be an issue if say one of them was benched for 10 games in a row, but short of something like that I don't see that being a determining factor. Maybe the Coach isn't as enamored with Riikola as some here are. I think that's far more the issue.

I think we all think Riikola should be playing above Oleksiak.

We also don't have to deal with a GM who is getting harassed by his owner about why 3 million or 20 million dollars is setting in the press box eating popcorn.

It is easy to make decisions and judgements on a business when you have no financial repercussions.

Like I said. Let's see what the D looks like in February. Then we can start criticizing Sullivan's choices. We've got points in like 9 of the last 11 games right?

Reactions: Riptide

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Murray could take a dump in the crease every night and I wouldn't care if he's stopping 38 of 41 shots. He can let in 200 foot goals and I wouldn't give a damn, all that matters is the results. "Types of goals", no, there are no "types of goals". It's either the puck goes in or it doesn't :laugh:

There are types of goals like when any player who can pick a corner burns your glove side every game and on the others you make your 6'4" frame into 4'10" or sit deep in the crease.

Those are pretty bad things to have an NHL goalie doing on a consistent basis.

Results ain't gonna matter if the team isn't rolling 4+ goals a game. The amount of forwards on low-key cold streaks makes this pretty hard to do right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Like i said bad goalies have good games.

He was set up to succeed tonight by Sully, Murray got to play against the worst team with the worst offense.

BTW the only reason Murray's save percentage wasn't under 900 tonight is because of the offside goal.

Breaks like that aren't going to happen very often.

This just seems like incredible horse **** to me, but I'm really not interested in discussing something with someone saying "if a goal that was illegal counted, his stats would be worse".

There are types of goals like when any player who can pick a corner burns your glove side every game and on the others you make your 6'4" frame into 4'10" or sit deep in the crease.

Those are pretty bad things to have an NHL goalie doing on a consistent basis.

Results ain't gonna matter if the team isn't rolling 4+ goals a game.

It's almost like those count for the exact same as a 5 on 3 goal or a 2 on 0 goal. What you count as "bad goals" don't mean anything more than any other goal.

Results aren't going to matter unless the team scores 4+ goals a game? Here's another thought, don't give up 41 shots a game and you won't need 4+ goals to win a game. To criticize Murray after a performance tonight is just asininely stupid, there's no other way around it. I don't care what you thought of the goals he gave up, he stopped 38 of 41 shots. Those are the numbers that matter. If Murray is stopping 92.7% of shots every night, he's doing an excellent job, no matter how bad you think the goals he gives up are.

Last edited:
Reactions: PensandCaps

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think we all think Riikola should be playing above Oleksiak.

We also don't have to deal with a GM who is getting harassed by his owner about why 3 million or 20 million dollars is setting in the press box eating popcorn.

It is easy to make decisions and judgements on a business when you have no financial repercussions.

Like I said. Let's see what the D looks like in February. Then we can start criticizing Sullivan's choices. We've got points in the last 11 games right?
We lost to chicago, no points. But I see where you're coming from. I just disagree.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
This just seems like incredible horse **** to me, but I'm really not interested in discussing something with someone saying "if a goal that was illegal counted, his stats would be worse".

Did Murray know it was going to called back off a rinky dink off-sides call when he let that one in?

It's almost like those count for the exact same as a 5 on 3 goal or a 2 on 0 goal. What you count as "bad goals" don't mean anything more than any other goal.

Results aren't going to matter unless the team scores 4+ goals a game? Here's another thought, don't give up 41 shots a game and you won't need 4+ goals to win a game. To criticize Murray after a performance tonight is just asininely stupid, there's no other way around it. I don't care what you thought of the goals he gave up, he stopped 38 of 41 shots. Those are the numbers that matter.

I agree the team is giving up too many total shots against.

You know what really would have mattered? If he stopped 39 of 41 shots.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

The goal was a legit goal.

The offside by a foot was what was illegal.

The good thing is that Murray will get to play in more games, we will get to see how he does.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just find it genuinely amazing that people are legitimately complaining about a goalie who had a .927 save% in a game. Like this is just another example of the crap I've been complaining about on here recently, it's not even pessimism at this point. It's not being jaded with the team, it's just looking for reasons to complain and making stuff up to complain about. I'm positive that the attitude of HFPens right now would result in some people legitimately complaining as the Penguins would be winning the cup.

This is me being 100% serious, this isn't me trolling in any way. I genuinely believe that there are some people on here that would rather see the Penguins lose, to have something to ***** about on here, than to see the Penguins win. I honestly feel that way.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
-Brassard should change his name to Casper. Didn’t even notice him out there. He’s turning into Spalding before our eyes. Even Adams had more impact on a game.
I have been waiting for him to make a consistent impact here. It just hasn't happened. And time is quickly running out.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I just find it genuinely amazing that people are legitimately complaining about a goalie who had a .927 save% in a game. Like this is just another example of the crap I've been complaining about on here recently, it's not even pessimism at this point. It's not being jaded with the team, it's just looking for reasons to complain and making stuff up to complain about. I'm positive that the attitude of HFPens right now would result in some people legitimately complaining as the Penguins would be winning the cup.

This is me being 100% serious, this isn't me trolling in any way. I genuinely believe that there are some people on here that would rather see the Penguins lose, to have something to ***** about on here, than to see the Penguins win. I honestly feel that way.
I think some of us have very high expectations, so the criticism is largely relative to that. If we're an Arizona or a Buffalo and don't have arguably two of the greatest 50 players of all time maybe we'd have a different level of expectation and a higher degree of patience. But as our stars age our window diminishes so I suspect many here hope for one more good run before the real pain begins.

TO BE CLEAR I'm thrilled with what this team has accomplished over the last 28 years and last 10 in particular. But it would be nice for one more run at it. And if it doesn't happen we're still damn fortunate!!

Reactions: EightyOne

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Metro effing stinks this year. Columbus is only a point ahead of us and they're in second place. Same games played too.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Was at a holiday party watching the game. I felt it was more of the same. Defense is bad. Murray was good! Thought ZAR, Rust, Sid, Kess once again are very consistent. Also very happy for Pearson.

Very happy but really a rinse and repeat of our issues all year.

I mean, tonight really is sort of one of those "half good, half bad" situations where it's good that the team got 2 points, but bad because the team still has big flaws and could barely beat a team that's fighting for the worst record in hockey.

I mean, yay, we won. But we also blew a 2-goal lead (twice) to one of the worst offenses in hockey. That's the kind of thing that's going to keep getting us in trouble when we're not playing the LA Kings.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think some of us have very high expectations, so the criticism is largely relative to that. If we're an Arizona or a Buffalo and don't have arguably two of the greatest 50 players of all time maybe we'd have a different level of expectation and a higher degree of patience. But as our stars age our window diminishes so I suspect many here hope for one more good run before the real pain begins.

TO BE CLEAR I'm thrilled with what this team has accomplished over the last 28 years and last 10 in particular. But it would be nice for one more run at it. And if it doesn't happen we're still damn fortunate!!

I think this is completely fair and a great mindset to have, but I don't think this justifies a lot of the complaints I've seen on here. Complaining about guys like ZAR, Sheahan and Grant as they're producing, just because they're vanilla and not skilled enough for you, is bogus. Complaining about Murray giving up a bad goal in a game where he's stopping 38 of 41 shots is bogus. Complaining about Oleksiak and Johnson being in the lineup, as they're not playing that poorly, is bogus. It's just people making stuff up to complain about.

I agree with some of that stuff for sure, I don't want any more than 1 of Oleksiak, Johnson or Maatta on the team for example. I just think some people just complain about players regardless of how they're actually playing, just because they want to complain.

Reactions: Shwag33

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think this is completely fair and a great mindset to have, but I don't think this justifies a lot of the complaints I've seen on here. Complaining about guys like ZAR, Sheahan and Grant as they're producing, just because they're vanilla and not skilled enough for you, is bogus. Complaining about Murray giving up a bad goal in a game where he's stopping 38 of 41 shots is bogus. Complaining about Oleksiak and Johnson being in the lineup, as they're not playing that poorly, is bogus. It's just people making stuff up to complain about.

I agree with some of that stuff for sure, I don't want any more than 1 of Oleksiak, Johnson or Maatta on the team for example. I just think some people just complain about players regardless of how they're actually playing, just because they want to complain.

Complaining is human nature though. If all was well these threads would be two or three pages long.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Was at a holiday party watching the game. I felt it was more of the same. Defense is bad. Murray was good! Thought ZAR, Rust, Sid, Kess once again are very consistent. Also very happy for Pearson.

Very happy but really a rinse and repeat of our issues all year.

I was busy so only half paying attention to OT but watching that OT period plus the third just disgusted me a bit. We gave up so many high danger chances it felt like.

This team has to figure out how to play with a lead. They're routinely screwing themselves. They got away with it tonight.

Reactions: Ryder71

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Rewaching, the forwards aren’t bad for the most part, even Geno seems a bit more unlucky than bad. Team will be fine if the defense is improved. It is an injustice that Sid isn’t compiling a ton of points these games though. Mac, McD, Scheif, OV, Marner all get stacked lines. Sid gets Rust lol.

Reactions: EightyOne

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Our priority is supposed to be winning

And yet somehow you still advocate for the player that was an utter disaster here and ignore the fact that we have actually been winning, and our bottom 6 has in fact been pretty good since we traded our elite one dimensional sniper who had no goals, showed no pulse and provided little of value.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Metro effing stinks this year. Columbus is only a point ahead of us and they're in second place. Same games played too.

Actually. It is because despite people acting like we are “horrible”, we’ve been picking up tons of points thanks to our depth scoring since the Winnipeg win.

Honestly, this team is losing games because of themselves (mainly there “Stars” taking ill timed penalties and bad turn overs) I have yet to see a contending team cleanly beat us outside of the Toronto blow out. And we worked them earlier in the year.

It’s why I think some of the takes around here are pretty bizarre. We’re not good right now and we are still playing our way into a playoff spot.

I think people forget how much this team blew leads in 15-16 and 16-17 even in the playoffs. The thing the Pens has was resilience. We didn’t see it during the 10 game losing streak. We aren’t seeing it totally yet. But, we are seeing a pulse.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maatta with almost 4 minutes of PP time. I would rather see 44 year old Sergei Gonchar put on some skates and run this powerplay in a suit and tie than see Ollie Maatta on it ever.

Looks at the score sheet for the OT goal... you sure about that?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm not saying that. But I think this team could be just as good or maybe better without as crazy as that sounds. I think it's no coincidence MM actually has a great game when the defense kept everything in front for the most part and he didn't see a bunch of breakaways or odd man rushes.

Uhh... were you watching the same game? Because he had to deal with a bunch of breakaways and odd man rushes.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Actually. It is because despite people acting like we are “horrible”, we’ve been picking up tons of points thanks to our depth scoring since the Winnipeg win.

Honestly, this team is losing games because of themselves. I have yet to see a team cleanly beat us outside of the Toronto blow out. And we worked them earlier in the year.

It’s why I think some of the takes around here are pretty bizarre. We’re not good right now and we are still playing our way into a playoff spot.

I think people forget how much this team blew leads in 15-16 and 16-17 even in the playoffs. The thing the Pens has was resilience. We didn’t see it during the 10 game losing streak. We aren’t seeing it totally yet. But, we are seeing a pulse.
I mentioned about a week ago that the 4th line has been playing well and that's continuing now with Cullen back. Still, I see a lot of flaws with this team and clearly our defense is very precarious in the number of scoring chances we're giving up. Brassard also has been a disappointment.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So Garret freaking Wilson had more EV Time than Brassard. Horrible bench management. Idc how bad Brassard looks or how invisble he is. Wilson shouldn't even be in the lineup, let alone playing more than a top 6 F in Brassard.

Wilson was flying out there, where as Brassard was invisible. And when Wilson has more scoring chances then Brassard does, you probably should care - especially given your opinion of Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad