Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 1 - What The **** Was That?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Go with what we have, save the assets. We're not on the cusp of making a run, and nothing we need is within our budget anymore after spending big for years. No picks, no prospects, and the tradeable assets like Dumo, McCann and Petts don't land us anything significant enough to move the needle, imo.

Stick with the current group unless something dirt cheap falls into your lap, hope your two centers get their heads out of their asses when the playoffs roll around. We're not a team to be buying rentals anymore.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Wait why are we discussing Zucker on the third or fourth line after he just had his best game of the season on L2? Holy hell.

Well, to their defense, one decent game doesn't make up for 14 (or however many games they played before last night) games where he has been largely sphincter. Yes, last night was a step in the right direction, but let's not act like we still aren't concerned about Zucker.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Not to mention the way Laff pouted after that call. Dude has the most negative body language. I already have forgotten why I was optimistic about him at the beginning of the season.

Plus he's a robot even by NHL standards in interviews :laugh:. I know that shouldn't bother me, but it kind of does.

So looking at stats, he has zero points in 9 games, and is a -5. That's...not good. I'll be livid if he's not the first one scratched when McCann and/or ERod returns.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Didn't read all the previous threads and it all adds up now. Do you think a:

Doc/Scevior - McCann - Erod would be pretty decent?

That is where I was going... it may not be enough but you've got to see them play a bit.

I think that could be decent. Certainly not outstanding, but w/o a doubt better than the current product.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Re: Horny, I'll say the same thing I did in the off-season - based on the roster, I do not see where he fits. Still a capable player but not best used on this roster as is. Not playing with Sid, not playing over Rust or Kapanen with Geno. Wasted a bit on the 3rd line given we thought McCann would be the 3C given how they played. If we get for Horny what we got out of Matheson last night, it works for both sides.

At that point it may as well be DOC or Lafferty. McCann is a good piece but the likes of Jank, ERod, Lafferty, DOC, Angello, Sceviour...they aren't moving the needle much. I'd love it we could find 1-2 crap for crap swaps with Sceviour, ERod, Jank, or Lafferty even.

Crap for crap swaps works, as long as it doesn't cost us cap space. I mean at some point you can get somebody that costs us extra cap space, but you can only play those gambles so many times.

I wonder with the emergence of POJ, and Matheson whether we will reduce some of the extra D we have lying around (aka Ruhwedel).

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
what options do you think he has? I see only McCann as anykind of marketable asset in addition to maybe two d-man, say Dumo and Rikko, they are not trading anyone from top six...the fourtliners are trash...they won't touch BART....and I don't think he will touch pou and legare.....maybe letang?

Poulin and Legare would go way before Letang. I could care less if we use any of our prospects or picks if it is for a player that is young and with term. Since we have the expansion draft I would look for a forward in the Marino situation that isn't exposed to the draft. I would pay a premium on a player like that. Dumoulin and Poulin for ??? If a young proven forward is available for that I would be willing to pay that price. Any option that would just make us expose him or out current 7th best option to save which I believe is Blueger just doesn't make sense. We would just be exposing that person in the summer. McCann could be used also in a deal instead of Poulin. I just am not big on prospects. You can find many great ones and add them when they are ready to perform or you believe they are close like we have with Pettersson, Marino, and POJ to the defense or Kapanen, O'Connor, ZAR, and other forward additions. I have seen way too many busts through the years and in fact more than half of the Pens 1st round picks outside the top 5 are busts. Give me the sure thing like a Kapanen or Zucker any day unless we are talking top 5 pick although I have seen several of those not turn out great either.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well good thing we have a center pacing for 40+ pts on the 3rd line a winger pacing for 30+ pts and ZAR and McCann.
If you don’t factor in the **** show first two games where all of the clowns scored for some reason, Tanev is only on an 18 point pace since those two games.

I believe you trashed BART last year, so why is it suddenly okay now? If they keep scoring a goal per game, fine, but when they regress back to reality, it’s a weak third IMO, especially when your fourth line is a disgrace.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If you don’t factor in the **** show first two games where all of the clowns scored for some reason, Tanev is only on an 18 point pace since those two games.

I believe you trashed BART last year, so why is it suddenly okay now? If they keep scoring a goal per game, fine, but when they regress back to reality, it’s a weak third line.

I never trashed BART. I said Sullivan needs to make the top six work rather than sticking with BART.

Removing two games where a player had 3 points usually effects their production.

Reactions: ncm7772

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think BART can work as a third line if we've got a solid 3b line to go along with them (ie. two low end 3rd lines) that can produce semi-consistently. I think our bottom six will be hurting if BART is the 3rd line and our 4th line is utter crap that contributes nothing offensively.

Reactions: canadianguy77

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
BART being effective offensively the last 4 games has everything to do with a different ZAR. If this is who he really is, I don’t think we have much to worry about with that line because you know exactly what you’re getting with Teddy and Tanev game in and game out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad