Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 1 - What The **** Was That?

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by KIRK, Feb 18, 2021.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gurglesons Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    I think production from a 4th line is unrealistic. But the 4th line is actively hurting us every game. Taking penalties giving up goals against, etc. I know people hate McCann but he will do a lot to stabilize that. Teams don’t score on him.

vodeni and KIRK like this.
  2. SEALBound Fancy Gina...mmmmm...

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Catch 22, I think Brassard needed MORE minutes to be effective to play good but because he played bad, he didn't get more minutes.

It's like highering a Director or Manager for a field level grunt work job. Some may do well, others not if their success is based on how they operate as a Director or Manager, ya know? Brassard wasn't a 3C...

3. KIRK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't know that it's necessarily unrealistic, especially given the impact on the mix of forwards IF you moved one of Dumo/Pets for a forward who can play anywhere in the lineup.

EDIT: A fully healthy Blues team, for instance, could ice 3 lines that can score and a BART style line centered by Sundqvist (2016 Pens being another example).

4. ZorkEnchanter Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think with injuries and fill-ins it's been unrealistic up to this point. I.e. we have Petts back, Dumo is finally coming back.

Erod hurt.
    McCann hurt.
    Salary Cap/Covid... I posted earlier on this they are pretty much the leftover Line 5 (maybe Line 5.5 haha)
    I suspect they are waiting to see the injured back in the lineup before a trade happens.

I'll also give Sullivan some credit, he knows they are bad and the hyperbole (not you... you are pretty level headed compared to the half the board :sarcasm:) that they are the worst ever is reaching MM levels.

They played about 1 SHIFT per period. The definitely flubbed some zone entries, lost puck battles but... they are literally whatever we have left line.
    upload_2021-2-19_11-58-49.png

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  5. Khelandros Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I'm pretty sure the offensive zone tripping call that Lafferty took had a little something to do with the decreased ice time.

6. The Old Master Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    i could work out if it's short term.... but if poj is still not playing after the trade deadline then it will be a.........

7. HandshakeLine Now brought to you in glorious Shaw-Scope!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Giving Your Kid An F
    Yeah, POJ's ceiling is just so much higher than Petts (or Dumo's current ceiling). I get the fears of regression, but POJ just has more tools in his box.

EVGENIMERLIN and ZorkEnchanter like this.
  8. Gurglesons Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    So in the 1992 Pens vs 1997 Wings thread in the history of hockey thread someone just said if Lemieux was such a powerhouse in 91 and 92 what happened to him in 93?

Lol. JFC.

ncm7772 and Hamurai like this.
  9. Gurglesons Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    I don’t see a difference between Sundqvist and McCann.

10. HandshakeLine Now brought to you in glorious Shaw-Scope!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Giving Your Kid An F
    The History of Hockey used to be a great forum. Now it's basically mainboard-for-the older generation.

Gurglesons likes this.
  11. CrosbyMalkin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Just 160 points in 60 games with a bad back and coming off Chemo treatments. What's so special about that? :eek2:

You have to remember more than half the people that post on these boards are clueless.:dunce:

Gurglesons likes this.
  12. Mr Jiggyfly Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Meh, he was only on pace to break Gretzky’s all time points record in a season until that little cancer thing got in the way.

13. CrosbyMalkin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I would take Blueger over Sundqvist any day of the week and so would the Pens. When the Pens traded Sundqvist he was already beat out by a journeyman Rowney for 4th line Center and already passed up in the system by Blueger. Sundqvist would be terrible in our system. Sundqvist is so slow with his first few steps at Maatta level. Honestly never liked him as a prospect. I am glad he is working out in the Blues style of play and it was a good fit for him.

Our 3rd line has put up great production this year and I am sure the analytics have to be near the top in the NHL for 3rd line production. The McCann-Blueger-Tanev line was doing good but the ZAR-Blueger-Tanev line has been even better which surprised me. I knew they are a good shut down line but ZAR has really improved his skating and the line looks great.

ncm7772 and vodeni like this.
  14. CascadiaPenguin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not to mention the way Laff pouted after that call. Dude has the most negative body language. I already have forgotten why I was optimistic about him at the beginning of the season.

ncm7772 and Khelandros like this.
  15. KIRK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I was suggesting that if you added a guy and as you got hurt guys back, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some production from the non BART line.

16. KrisLetAngry MrJukeBoy

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    +++++ BART - what's happening right now.
    + Kapanen - guy is out there working hard for his spot
    + Jarry - Not a super hard night but not an easy night team played well in front

+ for A effort for the team
    Can we do it again?

17. Gurglesons Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    The situation is a hypothetical 92 Pens vs 97 Wings so his retort was what happened to PIT in 93.

Which of course is what we all know here. We have a “healthy” Lemieux and Stevens prior to his face getting broken.

KIRK likes this.
  18. KIRK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    One of them has shown a pulse in the playoffs before. Otherwise, I get your meaning.

19. Gurglesons Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    I’m not sure McCann has gotten a chance in the playoffs tbh. Anyone thinking McCann was the little engine that could for Marleau and Hornqvist last year after G1 would be a Mike Sullivan.

ncm7772 and KIRK like this.
  20. ZorkEnchanter Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Didn't read all the previous threads and it all adds up now. Do you think a:

Doc/Scevior - McCann - Erod would be pretty decent?

That is where I was going... it may not be enough but you've got to see them play a bit.

Either way, I think we pretty much have to trade one of Dumo/Petts, etc. we just have too many bodies and not enough seats. No way we should sit POJ. (If you want to lighten his load then put him on the 3rd line.)

21. KIRK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That 4th line is for shit.

Concur on moving on of Dumo/Pets. Whoever gets the best deal goes, the other plays with Ceci.

The best deal may be futures.

I was noting earlier that the best deal may be from the Whitney for Kunitz + Tangradi school.

Whatever the approach, IF the Pens go for a forward, it needs to be a swiss army knife do everything type (Kunitz) or a warrior who can slot up and down the lineup. Maybe he's a C/W, so you're not forced to play McCann at center. BUT, either way, he needs to be good enough to supplant Zucker or Kapanen in the top 6, because it's not enough to say 'I can't make a change of a Zucker or a Kapanen because there's nobody who legitimately could slot up' if you expect to be more than a one and done type team.

EVGENIMERLIN likes this.
  22. KIRK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Nah. POJ is in. If he fades a little, you slot him back with Ceci. Those two guys were fine together. But, to the bench. There's no justification for it, not when you have holes at forward and lack for futures.

Of course, that's likely what they'll do, make POJ odd man out. :rolleyes:

EVGENIMERLIN likes this.
  23. HandshakeLine Now brought to you in glorious Shaw-Scope!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Giving Your Kid An F
    Ideally, that's why you move one of Petts or Dumo-- you just don't need both of them, especially with 4 healthy LD (5 if you count Riikola as the depth guy) and a rookie playing well enough for a permanent slot on the team.

If Dumolin gets pushed down to the 3rd, (and likewise for Petts) you should move 'em. Mattheson has looked pretty good on the 2nd with Marino, so I wouldn't break up a pairing with chemistry until they hit a slump.

24. CrosbyMalkin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    92 Pens would kick the shit out of them. 11 games in a row and swept the last two rounds. What makes it more impressive is that the team we swept in the Finals had an 11 game playoff win streak coming into the series. That is the record. Sorry we would destroy them. Not only did that team have two generational players but guys like Francis, Mullen, Murphy, Tocchet, Stevens, and others. I would put that team up against any past team including the Oilers teams of the 80's. 93 team was probably our best team but team was stupid and went after the regular season win streak record which they still own and ran out of gas in the playoffs. Playing Barrasso all 18 of those games in a row pretty much is why that team lost and of course the refs letting Kasper mug Mario that whole series.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Hamurai and CascadiaPenguin like this.
  25. Gurglesons Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Yeah p much. Some in there tried to argue Wings have better forward depth which is p hilarious. The Detroit D versus PIT’s is an argument but Lemieux consistently made Vernon his bitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.