Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Islanders 1 - What The **** Was That?

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by KIRK, Feb 18, 2021.

1. It's phishing season. Members should beware of an email informing them their password is about to expire. You should delete it. This is a scam to steal passwords.
    Dismiss Notice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrosbyMalkin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I just don't think they realize how dominant Mario was back then. He literally could win games by himself. Really nothing to argue though. I would just bring up that 11 game record and sweep in the final two rounds. Doing that against the Blackhawks who swept the second and 3rd rounds and had the record of 11 games also just makes that the most dominant playoff year of the modern times. What can they argue against that?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    ncm7772 likes this.
  2. ZorkEnchanter Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think you and maybe others brought up Arvidsson-type. I'd love to see something like that...

I don't want to get more "bodies" just need a quality player. No more 4th liners, we literally have enough of them. (i.e. I don't want us to trade for TWO more of them.)

ncm7772 and KIRK like this.
  3. KIRK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    With the added bonus that 'we'd have to break up BART to find someone to try in the top 6' will no longer be a legit excuse.

4. EVGENIMERLIN Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wonder if you package McCann and Petts/Dumo to do slightly better than Kunitz+Tangradi. If McCann or Zucker were 1A 1B options for the top 6 I would do the same and float both names out there and move for the better deal, but McCann isn't close and probably needs to go.

5. vodeni Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    people don't like him for his hot political takes...he is way more time right than wrong on Pens, way more time...this 5 on 3 is exactly what I was screaming at TV yesterday, it wsn't planning, it was Letang taking that position on the top right and not moving at all for 30 seconds and then there was an akward position change that killed another 40 seconds...both malkin and letang refused to skate toward the goal to make them collapse and open the shooting range...

Andy99 and KIRK like this.
  6. KIRK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Don't know, but Hextall certainly has options at his disposal.

EVGENIMERLIN likes this.
  7. vodeni Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    what options do you think he has? I see only McCann as anykind of marketable asset in addition to maybe two d-man, say Dumo and Rikko, they are not trading anyone from top six...the fourtliners are trash...they won't touch BART....and I don't think he will touch pou and legare.....maybe letang?

8. KIRK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Why wouldn't Hextall be open to moving Zucker or Kapanen?

Why wouldn't Hextall be willing to move Pets if a team prefers him to Dumo?

EDIT: Trading Zucker or Kapanen reminds me of trading Perron. Those aren't 'no way I'm trading him' types like Rusty. You do it if you're changing the mix in a way that makes your team better.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  9. DocEmrickSkitters Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think trading Kapanen would be a bad look purely because it reflects poorly on an organization to flip a viable player that quickly (note: not a guy spiraling like Galchenyuk). Zucker though...it's been a year.

I'd be very surprised if we got more for Petts than we got for Dumo though.

vodeni and KIRK like this.
  10. SEALBound Fancy Gina...mmmmm...

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Anyone watching the Pens for more than a couple years or with a basic sense of hockey can watch that 5 on 3 and know its garbage.

That does not make RW more right than wrong on the vast majority of Pens stuff. Blind squirrel, broken clock, whatever. Every dog has his day. Problem is, in order to say that, you have to ignore how much he gets wrong or how little depth his opinions have beyond "I read this number and here's what I was told this number means".

CheckingLineCenter likes this.
  11. Pens x Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Maybe we overrated Zucker and Kap too much?

Zucker has scored more than 47 points one time in his career while Kap has scored more than 36 points one time.

These aren’t elite wingers by any stretch. Maybe we need to taper expectations a bit? If Kap scores 17 or 18 goals is that a win? If Zucker scores 25 goals, isn’t that pretty decent for him?

I think we need to realize that our top 6 isn’t as invincible as many thought, and we need to bolster other parts of the lineup.

ncm7772 likes this.
  12. ncm7772 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He wasn't "singled out". The conversation was about Hornqvist specifically. If the discussion entailed the team in it's entirety, ok. But it wasn't.

13. ncm7772 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Agreed. I think many people overrated both prior to their arrival.

As far as their play in Pittsburgh, Kapanen is about what I expected so far. Not defending Zucker at all. He has stunk. Some people here think he looked super last night, but I don't. He wasn't trash like he has been, but he still looks slow, lazy and times, and just out of sorts playing with Malkin.

14. Gurglesons Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Who was expecting otherwise?

15. Big Friggin Dummy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If you're disappointed with Zucker or Kap, you had elevated expectations. Zucker is fine, and has been fine. Kap's been fine too--in my eyes he's a perfect 3RW, but roster woes will have us forcing him into the top-6 to varying degrees of success.

16. EightyOne My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I like how @Pittsburgh1776 said im never around when things are good

Lol

K

17. Big Friggin Dummy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Daily reminder that while the wingers haven't been exceptional night in and night out, the reason the top-6 hasn't been as good as projected is because for long stretches, both Sid and Geno have sucked ass. The next time either or both of them play at their best will be the first time in a long time.

18. Pens x Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    So many people here act like we have an elite top 6. It seems like at least half of the board thinks the bottom six is fine because our top six is overrated a bit. I don’t think our top 6 is dynamic enough to account for a cluster **** fourth and BART line long-term.

19. Big Friggin Dummy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You wouldn't be satisfied if we had a top-9 of all McDavids, dude. You'd find something to hate. :laugh:

The top-6 is fine if Sid and Geno play like they're capable of--even at their age. They haven't and of course, it's everyone else's fault. The 3rd line, the 4th line, Zucker, Kap, etc.

We are going to live and die by Sid and Geno. If they're not playing to the best of their ability, we're dead in the water. Not even Jake or Rust are going to be able to pick up that slack. And if you're going to suggest getting a top flight winger to shore up the top-6, well, I got bad news for you in the way of available assets and the cost of said player.

If this group can't get it done, and we agree that it probably can't, that's it. Prepare to start the inevitable rebuild.

20. Pittsburgh1776 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I mean you jumped in to a conversation that didn't really have anything to do with you. And no, I didn't notice you. I'm not here all the time, there's only so much of HF I can take.

21. Gurglesons Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Having two 25 goal guys a 30 goal guy and a 16-18 goal scorer in your top six along with Sid and Malkin who should be 70 pt Cs at minimum is pretty ridiculous.

22. EightyOne My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Ill be sure to ask your permission before posting.

23. Pens x Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It’s a really good top 6, but not to the point where you can totally disregard the bottom six.

I still think this team could make a decent run if we boosted the third line with some acquisitions...

24. Pittsburgh1776 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Dude I could care less. My post was about people coming out of the woodwork to bash the stars' leadership in the bad times, you were an equal opportunity target. The post wasn't about you geez.

25. Gurglesons Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Well good thing we have a center pacing for 40+ pts on the 3rd line a winger pacing for 30+ pts and ZAR and McCann.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.