Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Devils 3 - Do You Believe in Miracles?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Had to listen to the game rather than watch it, but what I gathered was damn finally there was puck support. Keeping the puck in front. That is how you win games.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Beat the Devils (after going down twice), doing it with balanced scoring, and the out of town scoreboard looking good. This could be a great night.

I know that goal Murray gave up was soft as hell but the fact is he stood tall throughout the third and managed to weather their push before that. Made some big stops that kept it at 4-2 for fifteen minutes. And after he gave it up the team was really able to shut things down, PP or not, and not give them a sniff. I loved that the boys were over there giving high fives to MM with big grins.

In addition to the usual suspects, I thought it was a good game from McCann and Bjug, thought Pearson looked a lot better, and if this is the new look ZAR lord keep it coming.

The way they applied non-stop pressure in the second period. THAT is what I want to see.
That second was a thing of beauty. The pressure, the puck pursuit, the emotion and desperation was all over their game. We rightly should’ve gotten more than two but that was the kind of effort that is going to win us games down the stretch AND put the players in a playoff mindset. The Devils were trying but we didn’t give them a sniff.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Once again, I'll ask . . .

What in the flying Fleury **** was that 3rd Devils goal?

Reactions: BHD

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I do have to say that Dumo has been pinching way to often for my liking.

If he's Letang or Schultz it makes more sense to me.

I hope someone pulls him aside soon, and lets him know.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
+* Matt Murray
+ ZAR
+ Guentzel

(*-if not for that one goal, he walks out with a .944 SV% and looks like the difference-maker)

30 seconds before that goal went in, I was thinking to myself "Man, when he's dialed in, the other team is more or less irrelevant".

Then that happened.

Just keep building on this game. I know we all are non-believers in this 5 man d-unit but just keep building. And hope for an on switch, I guess.

Keep building.

I think the switch has been flicked but its going to take a while to reach full power capacity.

Beat the Devils?

0c4jsojvp2n11.gif

You love that gif too much. But man is it appropriate right.

Anyway, big shout outs to:

ZAR - proving me wrong
Pearson - Returning with a big pulse
The Florida Guys - I didn't realise Bjug could shoot like that. Caused problems. I really like McCann's hustle and decision making.

But most importantly

The Return of the G. Getting a piece of his. I guess its funny how this coincided with Schultz's return...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I do have to say that Dumo has been pinching way to often for my liking.

If he's Letang or Schultz it makes more sense to me.

I hope someone pulls him aside soon, and lets him know.

Thought he won those battles in what I watched (85% of the game).

I seriously don’t get why people are so against moving him outside of one cup run.

Because he’s a P/PG player on a fair deal that won’t net much of anything in return trade wise.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
In this thread we talk about tonight's game. The 'Around the NHL' thread is for discussing the other ones.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
30 seconds before that goal went in, I was thinking to myself "Man, when he's dialed in, the other team is more or less irrelevant".

Then that happened.

I think the switch has been flicked but its going to take a while to reach full power capacity.

ZAR - proving me wrong
The Florida Guys - I didn't realise Bjug could shoot like that. Caused problems. I really like McCann's hustle and decision making.

But most importantly

The Return of the G. Getting a piece of his. I guess its funny how this coincided with Schultz's return...

Actually, I think Schultz helped, but the thing that SO FAR has crystallized things has been that combined with ZAR.

Anyway, after last game, I said it was only one period. They looked good together again tonight.

I'm going to reserve fuller judgment until I watch the duo against San Jose.

If ZAR is doing old school Kunitz like things for Geno on Thursday, then it will be hard not to believe.

If the bloom comes off the rose, then JR adding a L2 LW becomes a little more of a must.

Reactions: Peat

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Then that happened.

ZAR - proving me wrong

But most importantly

As I was told when researching him more thoroughly last year, Bjughead has that shot, but typically he is about as accurate as happy gilmore with it lol... kind of Dupuis like at times

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also have to give a lot of credit to Ruhwedel, he had a really strong night tonight after having a real stinker last game. I feel bad for him for being relegated to a #8 for the Penguins, he's good enough to be a #6 defenseman on a couple of teams. I hope he can find a deal this summer to be a #6D for someone, he deserves it after being passed over this year.

Actually, I think Schultz helped, but the thing that SO FAR has crystallized things has been that combined with ZAR.

Anyway, after last game, I said it was only one period. They looked good together again tonight.

I'm going to reserve fuller judgment until I watch the duo against San Jose.

If ZAR is doing old school Kunitz like things for Geno on Thursday, then it will be hard not to believe.

If the bloom comes off the rose, then JR adding a L2 LW becomes a little more of a must.

I think I'd rather try and find a RW2 for Malkin and ZAR than a LW2 for Malkin and Kessel, tbh. ZAR has looked great to me for like 2 months now, so I'd rather find something that works with Malkin and ZAR (which I think Rust would be, but that isn't going to happen) and put Kessel on the 3rd line. It could work so well if the Penguins would just do:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
ZAR-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Kessel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad