Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Devils 3 - Do You Believe in Miracles?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That said, let's see how it looks on Thursday.

IF we get tonight's Phil and tonight's JMFJ and the Geno-ZAR pair still works, then we're really onto something.
I'm not saying he'd be ideal for that role on Geno's line. But generally speaking he doesn't hurt a line if he's not scoring. Obviously you get my point. And he's real solid below the goal line.

Reactions: KIRK

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The big problem is they are trusting him(JJ) with the defensive assignments.
Now i can understand not feeding Riiko into that fire but i wonder what would happen with Olli healthy.

For an example, tonight JJ-JS late in the game or when it was over had 3 or 4 DZ starts and 4 or 5 NZ starts with Zero OZ starts.

It really is what it is at this point.
From their perspective, with Olli out, he's their go to guy for that role vs giving MP-Ruh the job or giving Riiko the responsibility.

What I would do is let MP-Ruh and Riiko-Schultz share the responsibility. It just might/most likely look better on the ice.

Reactions: canadianguy77

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The big problem is they are trusting him(JJ) with the defensive assignments.
Now i can understand not feeding Riiko into that fire but i wonder what would happen with Olli healthy.

For an example, tonight JJ-JS late in the game or when it was over had 3 or 4 DZ starts and 4 or 5 NZ starts with Zero OZ starts.

It really is what it is at this point.
From their perspective, with Olli out, he's their go to guy for that role vs giving MP-Ruh the job or giving Riiko the responsibility.

What I would do is let MP-Ruh and Riiko-Schultz share the responsibility. It just might/most likely look better on the ice.

Actually, the big problem is that they are dressing JJ.

The BIGGER problem is that they are trusting him.

:razz:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
At this point, Kessel sucks defensively and is slightly outplaying the ghost that Hornqvist is offensively. But Hornqvist is less of a liability defensively. They both have similarly negative impacts on our games, but credit to other boys. They can still get some wins despite these two playing like horse****s. Huge two points indeed, despite being handicapped.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
At this point, Kessel sucks defensively and is slightly outplaying the ghost that Hornqvist is offensively. But Hornqvist is less of a liability defensively. They both have similarly negative impacts on our games, but credit to other boys. They can still get some wins despite these two playing like horse****s. Huge two points indeed, despite being handicapped.

As I said earlier, we're going to get a good look Thursday at where the way Geno and ZAR look together is real or just something for the crap opponents, because if we get tonight's Phil (and tonight's Johnson), that's some pretty tough sledding for 3 players (even Geno, ZAR, and Schultz) against a team the caliber of the Sharks.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
As I said earlier, we're going to get a good look Thursday at where the way Geno and ZAR look together is real or just something for the crap opponents, because if we get tonight's Phil (and tonight's Johnson), that's some pretty tough sledding for 3 players (even Geno, ZAR, and Schultz) against a team the caliber of the Sharks.
They can still switch Horny and Phil hahaha. Maybe that´s all that Sully has in the sleeve if they are in trouble. LOL.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I was there tonight. I can confirm - it really happened. I witnessed the unthinkable.

All I have to say is anything Geno-Phil-JJ end up the D-Zone it feels like a recipe for disaster. I really thought they were going to find a way to blow it before the Coleman tripping penalty. Oh well, I think I'm something like 5-16 now seeing them here since I moved a decade ago. Pretty pitiful.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Biggest plus is finally beating those powerhouse Devils.

I thought the Pens looked good in the second, then yet again took their foot off the gas in the third period. Murray let in a stinker for the 4-3 goal, but prior to that he made some big saves because the Pens decided to stop skating and stop trying to play defense.

If this team could ever piece together more than 1 or 2 good periods ...

Reactions: ColePens

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
One ting that stood out to me as forechecking, it was relentless at times and you can feel the effort. Overall a solid effort and response being down 1 goal twice. Liked the second unit PP.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So you think penguins could have won with riikola over ruh?
I wonderrrrrrrrr

Bluger instead of any bottom six winger. Pick one. Doesn't matter. Put him back in. He's part of the future

And a wet rag instead of Jack Johnson. Maybe even Rikkola...instead of JMFJ. I actually don't hate Ruhwedel as a bottom pair player. He's not flashy but he's fairly responsible in the defensive end. I wouldn't like sign him for millions or multiple years. He's replaceable. But good to have.

In all reality, it was nice seeing some different names on the scoresheet. THAT'S how you win. Can't be Sid and Geno all the time, need contributions. Got contributions.
Got the win.
Coincidence?

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Bluger instead of any bottom six winger. Pick one. Doesn't matter. Put him back in. He's part of the future

And a wet rag instead of Jack Johnson. Maybe even Rikkola...

****ing SC time!

In all reality, it was nice seeing some different names on the scoresheet. THAT'S how you win. Can't be Sid and Geno all the time, need contributions. Got contributions.
Got the win.
Coincidence?
Got likes.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ruh's not been playing great in general - although he was good last night - but the way he helps up the tempo simply by not switching the puck to his forehand or winding up for a backhand shovel is noticeable. I like Riikola a lot but Ruh sticking in is the right call for now.

Also... Bloogs is part of the future, but so is Simon, and I thought Pearson was one of our best players last night. You want the 4th line to play intense hockey? That probably means being willing to axe the wings on it for the very adequate replacements the moment form drops. A couple of games refocusing and studying from the press box won't hurt Bloogs. If it goes longer than that, see where we are, but I'm not agreeing with @EightyOne here.

He's a smart hockey player and doesn't hurt us away from the puck, finishes off his checks etc.

ZAR's IQ has been my favourite thing about his recent blossoming.

That said, let's see how it looks on Thursday.

IF we get tonight's Phil and tonight's JMFJ and the Geno-ZAR pair still works, then we're really onto something.

That's proper stress testing that :laugh:

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
In all of that, I don’t think we’re that far away of being a top contender team for the Cup.

I mean if Sid and Geno can play like that every game, then sky’s the limit. The rest of the team will naturally follow.

But to be a legit contender, we do need to make some adjustments and patch our defense.

The big issue in this team is Kessel and Johnson, they’re part of the problem, not the solution. I hope JR can manage to trade them before the deadline. I’m not worrying about Hornviqst, I think he will bring it in the playoffs but I’ll admit that he’s a little overpaid.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
I do not think Kessel is part of the problem. That’s all I have to say. Thought the pens looked pretty decent last night against a team we seem to struggle against. Didn’t think JJ looked bad either really, other than him for some reason deciding last night he should join the rush more and pinch more aggressively. Only bit us once though, and Kessel really could have played that a lot better. I predicted a streak would come, and think these last two games are a big step toward it. San Jose a little scary tomorrow, but comfortable with schedule after.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
I do not think Kessel is part of the problem. That’s all I have to say. Thought the pens looked pretty decent last night against a team we seem to struggle against. Didn’t think JJ looked bad either really, other than him for some reason deciding last night he should join the rush more and pinch more aggressively. Only bit us once though, and Kessel really could have played that a lot better. I predicted a streak would come, and think these last two games are a big step toward it. San Jose a little scary tomorrow, but comfortable with schedule after.

TBH, I was more concerned playing the Devils than the Sharks, but yeah, it’s gonna be a hard challenge tomorrow

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
There was so much hustle, quick passing, and offensive zone disruption last night.

To see them forechecking with gusto and OZ time and shots.

Nice.

Reactions: SirBrad

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Wow, DK absolutely ripped Murray in his post-game coverage. Said he was way worse than his stats indicated and that DeSmith should start against the Sharks and Philadelphia. I couldn't watch the game--was he really that bad, other than on the Wood goal?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Wow, DK absolutely ripped Murray in his post-game coverage. Said he was way worse than his stats indicated and that DeSmith should start against the Sharks and Philadelphia. I couldn't watch the game--was he really that bad, other than on the Wood goal?

A little floppy but not really. The Wood goal was horrid though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He's chatting crap. Murray made a lot of good saves. Maybe he could have played the first two a bit better - not bit so much on the dummy for the first, maybe be more aggressive on the second - but those were good finishes from strong attacking positions. The third was a howler but there we go. At worst he was average. Even if he was a bit below, it'd still be his net.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

Blazenumb1

Jan 26, 2019

He wasn’t his best but certainly better than what DeSmith brings most nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad