Post-Game Talk: Penguins 4, Devils 3 - Do You Believe in Miracles?

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Seems like common perception of what's considered quality goaltending simply hasn't caught up to recent trends then. I remember Fleury's year over year average of ~.910ish was one of the main complaints of his tenure here when compared to his peers, yet that seems to be where the future of league-play his heading outside of outliers like the current lightning and such.

Obviously coaching systems seem to still hold significant power in determining goalie statistics separate from league trends considering the top 3 in Sv% currently include both Islanders netminders. Clearly Trotz and his goalie coach weren't just flukes in Nashville, considering the improvement the Caps and now the Islanders have seen in regards to team defense under their coaching. It's quite impressive, would hope our staff is keeping notice as clearly it's not a coincidence.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wow, DK absolutely ripped Murray in his post-game coverage. Said he was way worse than his stats indicated and that DeSmith should start against the Sharks and Philadelphia. I couldn't watch the game--was he really that bad, other than on the Wood goal?

DK is an idiot. Murray was fine, although that goal was brutal. I'd like his rebound control to be better, particularly the shots off the glove, but DeSmith ping pong's pucks off his pads so...

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, that was one of the most comically bad goals I've seen in a while.

Re Murray - I get the question, particularly when there's been a decent period of struggle. We know that it seems to be affecting a lot of goalies, although to a certain extent I think we're just seeing a surge of offensive talent. But at this particular time, when he's pressing a very different answer on us, I don't think there's much to be looked at.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I mean, that was one of the most comically bad goals I've seen in a while.

It was a beer league goal allowed no question

What I think what people missed is that MM is trying to settle the puck down with his paddle, immediately get up and shoot it away from danger to keep the clock going. Well he miss-timed it and lifted his stick and pads up a fraction too early...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->