Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Wild 2 - Vanilla Ice With the Game Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Pens had a skid because they were missing Sid, Letang, Hornqvist, Simon, And Rust (at various points) and because Murray was off and then injured. People freaked out, asked for the coach to be fired, then everyone outside of Schultz got healthy, and woah, they look good with a ton of room for improvement.

People need to chill sometimes.

Considering the performance we're getting out of him this season, we've been missing Letang for a couple years.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's not really how the story went. That was part of it, sure, but not the whole story. Not even close. They didn't compete anywhere close to how they are competing now. And kudos to the players for being able to progressively turn that switch up. They are really playing a solid team game night in/night out. It's impressive. But they weren't playing anything close to their capability early in the season.

The only part you got right is that people overreacted. Badly. :laugh:

I think the problems identified that most people (who kept their heads), were/still are legit.:

- needed better goaltending (definitely stepped up)
- defense was a mess (MP and Cough dropped helped stabilize)
- need a top four, good skating, offensive blueliner in the Daley mould (biggest need IMHO)
- Rust and Guentzel need to step up (definitely has happened)
- need more speed and skill in the bottom six (jury is still out)
- Brass needs to step up (jury is still out)
- Malkin needs a LW (jury still out)
- Malkin needs to awaken from his slumber (still snoozing )

I think most of these issues will need positive outcomes by the end of the season if they want to make a legit cup run, even though things are going good guns right now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think that's a tremendous list, Jig. And a few duos are really stepping up as you said. Murray/DeSmith are really in the zone. @Tom Hanks stats from the last 19 games are crazy. But a duo that doesn't play together, Pets/Riikola, have really helped stabilize their pairings.

If these guys can maintain their level AND Brassard/Malkin find theirs. Holy shit.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If people actually watched Tampa in the last couple games, they'd be saying "Oh my god.. we are bleeding goals! This team will never win the Cup." Before tonight they let in 17 goals in 4 games. :laugh:

And Nashville? 6 game losing streak before today, right? Well we've been there.

Nashville has had injuries I think. When we lost a lot we were mostly healthy apart from I guess Brassard.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kessel obvious is just a machine. And I cannot stand when people call him lazy. He may play very strange hockey, but the dude does bust his ass out there. And he is killing it again.

He's not lazy but he definitely can be soff sometimes. He doesn't like getting hit. But because he plays that way he stays healthy so you know it's got some value oddly enough.

Also in the playoffs he tends to be more willing to take contact.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think that's a tremendous list, Jig. And a few duos are really stepping up as you said. Murray/DeSmith are really in the zone. @Tom Hanks stats from the last 19 games are crazy. But a duo that doesn't play together, Pets/Riikola, have really helped stabilize their pairings.

If these guys can maintain their level AND Brassard/Malkin find theirs. Holy ****.

I don’t even know how Brass-Kessel isn’t a dominant pair given their skill and matchups.

Brass is the most talented third pivot they have had in the Crosby/Malkin era.

I don’t even know how this isn’t working. Brass has always been such a talented player, a big playoff performer, and now he’s playing with a premiere playmaker/sniper...

Chemistry is a weird thing... maybe he really needs to be a top six guy. I’m befuddled and the “he sucks balls” insta-analogy doesn’t quite convince me for some odd reason...

Reactions: Badfish87 and KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nashville has had injuries I think. When we lost a lot we were mostly healthy apart from I guess Brassard.
We're also playing on our toes more, taking away the oppositions time and space, getting great goaltending and are more efficient in capitalizing on our chances. We weren't doing those things six weeks ago.

Reactions: Pancakes

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don’t even know how Brass-Kessel isn’t a dominant pair given their skill and matchups.

I don’t even know how this isn’t working. Brass has always been such a talented player, a big playoff performer, and now he’s playing with a premiere playmaker/sniper...

Chemistry is a weird thing... maybe he really needs to be a top six guy. I’m befuddled and the “he sucks balls” insta-analogy doesn’t quite convince me for some odd reason...

He's been stinking for a good long while? What more is there to go by until you just say he don't work here?

I mean, people can stand by all season long and defend him and hope he does wonders in post season (if pens make it. if brass stays). Don't see that happening. Guy just don't fit in here.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He's been stinking for a good long while? What more is there to go by until you just say he don't work here?

I mean, people can stand by all season long and defend him and hope he does wonders in post season (if pens make it. if brass stays). Don't see that happening. Guy just don't fit in here.
I'm torn on this because I tend to agree that he just hasn't assimilated well in his time here. But IF he's moved I'm wondering if it's a trade we can win. I have my doubts. The best outcome is that he finds his game and plays inspired hockey with the eye on getting a nice new contract in free agency. Good for him and good for us.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think number one is Brassard isn’t buying into it because number two he isn’t getting consistent ice time or line mates.

That being said, I see no issue keeping him unless he’s a problem in the room.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

If these guys can maintain their level AND Brassard/Malkin find theirs. Holy ****.

I see no issue why MP and Riikola can’t balance out these pairings especially since Maatta and JJ with the cash they are making should be able to turn it up a notch from where THEY currently are.

I also think the simple fact is Brassard and Geno are too good to not snap out of this.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think number one is Brassard isn’t buying into it because number two he isn’t getting consistent ice time or line mates.

That being said, I see no issue keeping him unless he’s a problem in the room.

Just wait until he demands 5 mil + to sign. Guy aint worth 3 mil. Not here at least.
I couldn't imagine VGK not retaining 2 mil of his worthless rear end.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I know it's only one game, but the WBS game I went to last season, DiPauli was really noticeable to me. He was constantly heading towards the net and getting in place for looks.

Small sample size, though...
He reminded me a lot of Rust when he was in WBS. I think he can be a similar type of player, probably with a a little less offense

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Happy New Year!
Has no relevance to me besides another reason to get wrekt. It's so warm here abnormally so people are drunk in the streets lightning (now legal) fireworks like mad. Super annoying. My 100lb g shepherd is going to commit suicide because of it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Has no relevance to me besides another reason to get wrekt. It's so warm here abnormally so people are drunk in the streets lightning (now legal) fireworks like mad. Super annoying. My 100lb g shepherd is going to commit suicide because of it.
Oh ok, well never mind then.:(

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

That’s an easy conclusion to jump to though.

Brass has 9 goals and 20 points in his first 43 games as a Pen

Bones had 3 goals and 11 points after his first 50, and I wanted him gone so badly by January that season. However, he then caught fire in March and and we know how that all ended.

Bones had a rep as a playoff performer just like Brass as well.

Bones simply caught fire at the right time, and that’s exactly what they needed then.

Not sure why Brass can’t do the same as he’s done it before and he’s a more talented guy than Bones.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sid!!!
1FhlVO2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad