Post-Game Talk: Penguins 3, Wild 2 - Vanilla Ice With the Game Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Just imagine how good this team would be had they not gone on that skid, they'd be right up there with Tampa Bay.

It looks like the pieces are starting to fall into place with this team, a good bit before that started happening last year. If Murray gets back to 2016-2017 form, this team is going to make the ECF at the bear minimum. This team is just too good to not go deep with competent goaltending.

If we get goaltending, we're good. It's as simple as that.

The offense is still there and we've been top 10 in GF/game I think pretty much all year. When we weren't winning earlier it was because we were giving up too many goals.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
nobody just listens to it just to listen to it. It's for silly fun in a situation like a sporting event.
Do you think that there are people out there who listen to it and think its a good song? Scary thought.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we get goaltending, we're good. It's as simple as that.

The offense is still there and we've been top 10 in GF/game I think pretty much all year. When we weren't winning earlier it was because we were giving up too many goals.

Eh, the team was having big problems with scoring during that losing streak. In the stretch where they went 1-7-1 (November 30th to October 17th), they scored 20 goals. That's barely over 2 goals a game. Sure, they were also giving up a ton of goals (35 if I counted right), but they weren't going to be winning many games when only scoring 2 a game. It's not a coincidence that they're 11-2-1 over their last 13 games. When you both can't score and can't prevent goals, you're horrible. When you can both score and prevent goals, you're virtually unbeatable :laugh:

I just hope Malkin wakes up soon and depth pieces like Sheahan, ZAR, Rust and Cullen continue to produce like they have. Even if you're not getting godly goaltending like the Penguins have got recently, you'll be doing really well with your top-6 clicking and your bottom-6 consistently producing.

Reactions: Pancakes

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Skimmed thru the game.
CDS was the 1st star. Crosby 2. Phil 3.
I still need more out of G and Brass.
G is capable. Brass as a 3C, not so sure.

Reactions: Ryder71

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Eh, the team was having big problems with scoring during that losing streak. In the stretch where they went 1-7-1 (November 30th to October 17th), they scored 20 goals. That's barely over 2 goals a game. Sure, they were also giving up a ton of goals (35 if I counted right), but they weren't going to be winning many games when only scoring 2 a game. It's not a coincidence that they're 11-2-1 over their last 13 games. When you both can't score and can't prevent goals, you're horrible. When you can both score and prevent goals, you're virtually unbeatable :laugh:

I just hope Malkin wakes up soon and depth pieces like Sheahan, ZAR, Rust and Cullen continue to produce like they have. Even if you're not getting godly goaltending like the Penguins have got recently, you'll be doing really well with your top-6 clicking and your bottom-6 consistently producing.

That's fair to say. Overall on the year though we can score, and when our goaltending is there, we'll win more often than not. If MM/Desmith can continue to provide quality starts we'll continue to climb the standings. That's an if.

I think even with Malkin's struggles that our offense will continue to be good to great provided health.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
ZAR probably won't ever be what they want, but let's hope that somehow he finds a way to at least get closer to it.

Because if Sully's in love with him, he ain't going anywhere.

The funny thing is, considering that this is where he always wanted to be, I wouldn't put it past him to raise his game to shove it down our throats if he's traded.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
ZAR probably won't ever be what they want, but let's hope that somehow he finds a way to at least get closer to it.

The funny thing is, considering that this is where he always wanted to be, I wouldn't put it past him to raise his game to shove it down our throats if he's traded.

If ZAR can just be a 15 goal guy who can move up and down the lineup and play adequate two-way hockey I'm ok with that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Because it is a slow night, i'll throw out some rando takeaways from the game.

- Maatta was terrific. His gap was good and his ability to keep pucks in was really good. I feel like he has a nice chemistry and belief in Riikola. It's the best Maatta has looked all season.

- Brassard missed so many passes to Kessel tonight it is ridiculous. The breakaway one was the worst. I do not like how he plays. I would easily look for a hockey trade, quietly, for a 2/3C that isn't working on another team. Just something similar to Pearson/Hags. But if nothing is there, we have to hope Brassard has any bit of extra game. He just refuses to do the little things. The role he is being asked to play is nothing like that his strengths are. Especially when it comes to doing the small things like block shots or dig deep to make a defensive play. Heck.. Kessel backchecks harder than Brassard.

- I think Pearson is underrated around here. Dangerous shot and makes some nice passes to Kessel. I think he makes 1 or 2 defensive plays a game that remind me of Hags. I like his game.

- The PK is so aggressive. So aggressive. I love it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If ZAR can just be a 15 goal guy who can move up and down the lineup and play adequate two-way hockey I'm ok with that.

I hope this happens just because I know some people here will be mad about it :laugh:

My complaints with ZAR aren't that he's bad, he's just not consistent. You could partially attribute this to how he has been used, though. I want to see him constantly playing physical, causing havoc around the net and chipping in a couple of points here and there. I'm totally happy with ZAR if he's doing that on a consistent basis, even if he's only a 30ish point player when playing with Crosby and Malkin.

Allie Kitsune

Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

I mean, I'm kind of an idiot, I still have (relatively) high hopes for DiPauli. I just don't know if both he and ZAR have a place here.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I hope this happens just because I know some people here will be mad about it :laugh:

It kinda has already. He's on pace for 14 goals in 69 games.

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable pace to sustain if he gets top 9 minutes and especially if some of those minutes come with Crosby.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, I'm kind of an idiot, I still have (relatively) high hopes for DiPauli. I just don't know if both he and ZAR have a place here.

I think those two are fighting for 2 different roles. I think ZAR should be playing on a line with Kessel, especially if Brassard is the center. I've noticed that line lacks a guy that will go to the front of the net and screen the goalie, I think ZAR can do that. ZAR is a net front guy that you play with skilled linemates. DiPauli projects as a speedy 4th liner similar to Archibald, I don't think they're fighting over the same spot.

It kinda has already. He's on pace for 14 goals in 69 games.

That doesn't seem like an unreasonable pace to sustain if he gets top 9 minutes and especially if some of those minutes come with Crosby.

Like I edited into my post, my issue with ZAR is his consistency. Yeah, he's on pace for about 15 goals and 30 points per 82 games, but that's not as useful if you're putting up points in bunches and not playing a consistent style of hockey.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think those two are fighting for 2 different roles. I think ZAR should be playing on a line with Kessel, especially if Brassard is the center. I've noticed that line lacks a guy that will go to the front of the net and screen the goalie, I think ZAR can do that. ZAR is a net front guy that you play with skilled linemates. DiPauli projects as a speedy 4th liner similar to Archibald, I don't think they're fighting over the same spot.

I think Pearson - Kessel and Simon - Hornqvist are the right wing combos when healthy, issue is that Malkin and Brassard can’t provide what either of those pairings need right now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just imagine how good this team would be had they not gone on that skid, they'd be right up there with Tampa Bay.

It looks like the pieces are starting to fall into place with this team, a good bit before that started happening last year. If Murray gets back to 2016-2017 form, this team is going to make the ECF at the bear minimum. This team is just too good to not go deep with competent goaltending.

They did though. Lets remember that and not get ahead of ourselves. Sure, things are great with two goaltenders pushing each other hard and a 1st line/pairing that destroys everything, but that's the difference and a bunch of the things that led to the skid still exist. We've moving in the right direction but there's still things that can be fixed.

Anyway, only watched part of the second on my phone screen. Didn't look a fantastically together outing but also didn't look particularly in danger.

Allie Kitsune

Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

Like I edited into my post, my issue with ZAR is his consistency. Yeah, he's on pace for about 15 goals and 30 points per 82 games, but that's not as useful if you're putting up points in bunches and not playing a consistent style of hockey.

I know it's only one game, but the WBS game I went to last season, DiPauli was really noticeable to me. He was constantly heading towards the net and getting in place for looks.

Small sample size, though...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They did though. Lets remember that and not get ahead of ourselves. Sure, things are great with two goaltenders pushing each other hard and a 1st line/pairing that destroys everything, but that's the difference and a bunch of the things that led to the skid still exist. We've moving in the right direction but there's still things that can be fixed.

Anyway, only watched part of the second on my phone screen. Didn't look a fantastically together outing but also didn't look particularly in danger.

Isn’t that honestly the difference with every team but Tampa, Nash, and Toronto this year?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Pearson - Kessel and Simon - Hornqvist are the right wing combos when healthy, issue is that Malkin and Brassard can’t provide what either of those pairings need right now.

I don't disagree (mainly because Hornqvist can't play LW), but I still think the comment about ZAR stands. There isn't a spot for him right now to do that when everyone is healthy, but the ideal spot for him is with Kessel or Simon. Guentzel is a strong net front guy, so I think putting ZAR with Guentzel is redundant.

ZAR should be the 4th line RW when everyone is healthy, but that's more due to the Penguins having 6 better wingers than him.

I know it's only one game, but the WBS game I went to last season, DiPauli was really noticeable to me. He was constantly heading towards the net and getting in place for looks.

Small sample size, though...

I've heard good things about DiPauli from the people who watch WBS more than me, so I don't have any reason to talk down on him. My impression of him is still he's the new Archibald, though. That's not a knock against him, Archibald is a really effective bottom-6 forward for Arizona now, but I'm not sure I'd be penciling in DiPauli as anything more than that.

Reactions: BillPrep

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
6 in a row!

Man, the team is getting great goaltending right now.

Here are the goalie stats over the last 6 weeks for De Smith and Murray. Jarry played 2 games but let’s forget about those :laugh:

De Smith
10-3-1
GAA 2.14
SV% .929

Murray
5-0-0
GAA 1.40
SV% .959

Combined
15-3-1 (134 point pace)
GAA 1.95
SV% .938

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
That was boring but oh so satisfying...Isles won too so we needed the two points...

My - is to the Wild DJ...that’s for making this game a lot more miserable than it had to be....

Otherwise the boys played hard and don’t have the heart to give anyone a -...

Happy New Years everyone!
Any arena DJ who plays Rage A.T.M. is kick*** in my book!

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Isn’t that honestly the difference with every team but Tampa, Nash, and Toronto this year?
If people actually watched Tampa in the last couple games, they'd be saying "Oh my god.. we are bleeding goals! This team will never win the Cup." Before tonight they let in 17 goals in 4 games. :laugh:

And Nashville? 6 game losing streak before today, right? Well we've been there.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Pens had a skid because they were missing Sid, Letang, Hornqvist, Simon, And Rust (at various points) and because Murray was off and then injured. People freaked out, asked for the coach to be fired, then everyone outside of Schultz got healthy, and woah, they look good with a ton of room for improvement.

People need to chill sometimes.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pens had a skid because they were missing Sid, Letang, Hornqvist, Simon, And Rust (at various points) and because Murray was off and then injured. People freaked out, asked for the coach to be fired, then everyone outside of Schultz got healthy, and woah, they look good with a ton of room for improvement.

People need to chill sometimes.

That's not really how the story went. That was part of it, sure, but not the whole story. Not even close. They didn't compete anywhere close to how they are competing now. And kudos to the players for being able to progressively turn that switch up. They are really playing a solid team game night in/night out. It's impressive. But they weren't playing anything close to their capability early in the season.

The only part you got right is that people overreacted. Badly. :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
That's not really how the story went. That was part of it, sure, but not the whole story. Not even close. They didn't compete anywhere close to how they are competing now. And kudos to the players for being able to progressively turn that switch up. They are really playing a solid team game night in/night out. It's impressive. But they weren't playing anything close to their capability early in the season.

The only part you got right is that people overreacted. Badly. :laugh:
If you’re missing multiple top players it’s gonna show. I’m not saying there aren’t other issues, but the biggest reason for the skid was all of the talent missing.

Edit: I think there’s a difference between saying:

1) here is the reason this team lost a ton of games ...

And

2) this is a good team that won’t have post-season success because ...

The Penguins, even with all of their issues, still have a roster that’s top-4 in the east. When you remove 4 of their 6 best players, they no longer do.

Now, why won’t they go far in the playoffs? A lack of depth up front, a bad 3C, structure issues in the d zone, and a mediocre-at-best group of dmen who can’t skate (overall. Letang obviously can).

I got everything right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad